Voom's new upgrade eliptical dish?

LINCSAT

Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
:) Any body have a picture or timeline when voom will introduce there new dish. I assume it will be like canada's starchoice dish eliptical and pick up two birds. Hey sean do have idea when this will be?

I guess it will look a bit like this, the bigger the dish the lower it should go, if you can....

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 455
Voom said it would be 35inchs accross so that's a 75cm dish. Thats a big dish getting o the size of my direcway dish. If this new dish is that big and is mounted on a wall or roof and not pole mounted, I would say it would need support arms like what direcway would supply if needed.

Yes! I have installed bigger to walls, depending on how new/solid the wall is, I used to install DirecPC systems and the kit came with wall anchors, but the dish has to have support arms, they are a must, again being low would help.

Attachments

• Pict0009..JPG
    Pict0009..JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 335
I think a bigger dish is always better but I can see this is going to cause some problems with current customers and location concerns but at least it will be a free install. Why so big to see second bird it must far away?

It seems they are going to be as big if not bigger than the old Primestar dishes. Execept there will be two LNBFs One for the KU signal and the other for the FSS signal.

When your dish starts to get to the 30"/75cm size its really time to get a motor on your dish then you are future proofed to shift to any satellite in seconds, one dish doing everything makes a lot of sence and has saved a marriage or two : ) The cool thing about a motorised dish is if you have to you can move it way down out of the wind and snow when not in use, or turn it away from the prevailing wind direction. Or do what I do way up here, turn it to face the sun on winter mornings and the snow and ice melts right off.

If they keep this up with adding more and more channels then they probably would implement a motorized dish but I think before they do that they would end up having a torodial dish that has a second reflector in front of the first one.

Dish pointing

Anyone have the az/el headings for the new bird? Here in MA, the 62.5 bird is 181deg az / 40deg el. Any ideas what the second sat. will be?

I'll be mounting mine on a pole that is secured to the eave of my house, I have to get it up high for LOS. I've heard the new bird is at 71?

I don't think the dish is larger to catch a farther away bird, it is larger because it is eliptical, to catch two birds from the same dish, like what DirectPC used to do.

Although Voom has said that this new upgraded dish will allow for more programming, does anybody know how many more SD channels Voom can fit on their current satellite? I know that Voom has set things up where a certain amount of space is for HD and SD. I know there is enough space for 2 or 3 more HD channels.

Is it possible that they could design the dish so that it could slide right onto the mount we have up right now. Install would be a snap. All they would have to do is repoint the dish...and away they go. It seems like something they should be able to do.

I've been "on the list" to receive a 30" dish for about a month now, but they have been unable to ship it. I wonder if they are holding up 24" and 30" installs untill they can ship the new eliptical?