VOTE NOW! SatelliteGuys Best of 2012 Award!

Which Product Do YOU think should win the SatelliteGuys Best of 2012 Award?

• DIRECTV GENIE SYSTEM (Submitted by Rey)

Votes: 55 16.8%
  • DISH HOPPER SYSTEM (Submitted by Schermann)

Votes: 146 44.6%
  • MICROHD TRUE FTA RECEIVER FROM SATELLITEAV (Submitted by EuroSport)

Votes: 79 24.2%
  • HOPPER AUTOHOP (Submitted by KYDave)

Votes: 23 7.0%
  • HOPPER PRIME TIME ANYTIME (Submitted by Bobby)

Votes: 20 6.1%
  • HOPPER OTA SUPPORT (Submitted by TheChaz05)

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, the Genie is realitively new compared to the Hopper.
While the Genie designation is new, the HR34 has been on the market longer and the basic concept behind the HMC was introduced more than seven years ago at CES 2005. The Genie is a revision of the HR34 as opposed to a whole new ball game. What's fundamentally different now is that DIRECTV has finally released an RVU client (since Samsung's efforts have been remarkably feeble thus far).
I would bet there are more Dish subs with a Hopper than Directv subs with a Genie.
I bet you're wrong. The HR34 has been out for 11 months and having one doesn't demand that you divest all of your existing equipment.
Second, The Hopper had many innovative ideas. The Genie doesn't have PTAT, or a version of Auto-Hop. I heard back in the summer time (by I believe Scott) that the Genie has the capability to do both, but hasn't been activated as Directv is awaiting the results of the legality case in court right now between the networks and Dish.
This is true of most of the Cool Stuff that DISH has that DIRECTV users can only dream about. Portable hard drives is another that DIRECTV's lawyers have doubtless put the kibosh on.

Neither system is perfect, but Echostar is way ahead of the client-server curve with the Hopper/Joey and DISH isn't afraid to run with these innovations.

I have been told another site has been telling people NOT to vote for the Genie... can you believe that?

I guess those folks must think its not worth voting for then. I don't get it. I would think the company would WANT to be the product of the year...

I have been told another site has been telling people NOT to vote for the Genie... can you believe that?

I guess those folks must think its not worth voting for then. I don't get it. I would think the company would WANT to be the product of the year...

Kind of a shame that another site wants to keep one company all to there own, my guess is they don't want Directv to get recognized on the satellite guys website, there's room for both companies

3HaloODST said:
FTA beating Genie? Wasn't expecting that!

The way things are going, FTA and OTA will beat everything else one day. "Pay TV" is already "OVERPay TV".

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Well the polls are closed... and while I am not surprised with the Winner, I am surprised with the numbers. I am shocked (yet pleased) that the microHD came in at second Place. SatelliteAV has really done a great job with the microHD and the voting shows that the FTA community is happy with it as well!

I am also shocked as I also expected the DIRECTV Genie System to win or get a lot more votes then it did. The reason I expected it to win, was because the DISH Hopper had quite a few choices to vote for which I felt would have watered down the main DISH Hopper nomination. In fact those other choices took 14.37% away from the DISH Hopper.

Thanks everyone for voting! And congrats to the winners!

We will be selecting the voting winners and announcing them on Wednesday, so make sure to check back on Wednesday and see if you are one of the winners!

the hopper hopped to an early lead and held on for the win.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app.

The voting was pretty much along parties lines based on Forum activity: 51.75% Dish Network Forum, 26.25% FTA Forum and 22% DirecTV. I'm not saying the Hopper wasn't the correct choice (I think it was) but the three communities could have nominated a pig wearing lipstick and the final tally would have been very similar.

The voting was pretty much along parties lines based on Forum activity: 51.75% Dish Network Forum, 26.25% FTA Forum and 22% DirecTV. I'm not saying the Hopper wasn't the correct choice but the three communities could have nominated a pig wearing lipstick and the final tally would have been very similar.
Totally agree!

Again CONGRATS to the DISH Hopper as being selected by our members at the 2012 SatelliteGuys Product of the Year!

Remember we had some prizes to give away for nominating and voting... so here we go!

Our GRAND PRIZE WINNER for Nominating the Winnng Product is Schermann who wins a $100 Amazon.COM Gift Card! All of our nomination finalists also win a $25 Amazon.COM Gift Card as well! So congrats to Rey, Kydave, Bobby, TheChaz and EuroSport!

Then just for voting we have selected 5 random members who voted in this years Best of Awards, each have won a $25 Amazon.COM Gift Certificate! Thanks for voting!! The randomly selected winners are... Wallywombat, Costanzas_Wallet, JWM194, TRON and NCTED. CONGRATS and THANKS EVERYONE FOR VOTING!!

I will PM all winners today as I need your EMAIL ADDRESS to send you your prize!

Congrats and thanks for voting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts