VOTE NOW! SatelliteGuys Best of 2013

Who do YOU select as the SatelliteGuys Best of 2013 Award Winner?

• DIRECTV GENIE

Votes: 43 24.9%
  • DISH HOPPER WITH SLING

Votes: 130 75.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
How can the genie even have a chance when 75% of the people here are Dish people.

I don't know that's the ratio. Do you? Anyhow, I don't know either given what Scott wrote below.

Since I can see who voted for what, I am kind of surprised for who's voting for the Hopper. Some of our biggest DIRECTV supporters here have voted for the Hopper.

I don't know that's the ratio. Do you?
Look at the number of total posts for the Dish forum, then look at the number for the Directv forum. It gives you a rough idea of the ratio... See if that ratio matches the current voting tally. ;)

One persons opinion.

See, thereews a vote from someone that has one, but not the other.

Of course he's gonna vote DISH side, thats what he's using. :)

Fwiw, I think lern has had D* before.[/QUOTE

Correction Jimbo
I have a hr44 and two hr24.
I am as familiar with direct equipment
As I am with dish.
I pay direct a boatload of money
To watch my horrible Ny Jets and
Mediocre Ny Rangers.
I can also talk about Uverse since I have
Them as well.

I enjoy direct very much. I think
The Hr 44 is their best effort yet.
However through everyday experience
The hopper really blows it away.

Seriously?
There is no contest on this! Hopper.....
I don't think there is a dvr out there that can compete.

The match was over even before it got started.
Knockout!

Agreed my friend. Having had both I can also say Hopper all the way.

Seriously?
There is no contest on this! Hopper.....
I don't think there is a dvr out there that can compete.

The match was over even before it got started.
Knockout!

Well the TiVo Romeo can compete. It does not have PTAT or Autohop, but one box can record 6 things at once, has built in sling like streaming, and has whole home abilities. Not to mention high definition menus that are on par with Dish's, and 3TB internal HD. Having used Dish boxes for a long time, the new TiVos are just as easy and capable.

That depends on your needs. If you already have a slingbox, like many do including myself, but need more tuners, than the Hopper may not be as suited for you. If you mostly watch primetime and don't need as many tuners, than the Hopper maybe the best product for you.

Good point...Since I have both Direc and dish..I can see your point.
If someone needs more tuners Direc Genie would service them better.

Comparing Dvrs though is a different story.
I had direc since the very beginning. I really like the
new interface. Its also very fast.
The HD picture is gorgeous.
But feature wise theres nothing cutting edge about the HR44.

Dish new Hoppers with sling is a game changer.
Prime time is really a wow feature.
Plus commercial HOP skip is revolutionary
(in my opinion) It has shaken up the status quo.
Also the Hopper feels like a really expensive
High end piece of equipment. Its smooth
as silk.

I personally love the blu tooth feature.
when wife is sleeping i can just pair up
through my headphones. Awesome!

I dont feel that way about my HR 44..
Its not much better than my HR24..
Plus they feel clunky at times..

Again, this is my take, I have both
I use them regularly..

Had to Vote for Genie just to give it a chance in this poll. Actually, I have never seen a Hopper, so just 'voting down party lines'. I will add that the Genie with a GenieGo make the Genie much more usable for remote viewing. Being able to both download content to be viewed later, and stream locally or remotely. The commercial skip would be an awesome addition to the Genie. I am torn on the PrimeTime. I would not like the fact of losing 4 of my tuners, but could come in handy if I forgot to set something up to record.

Outside of the scope of this poll, but someone already mentioned it in this post so I will too. DTV's CE program has been fairly disappointing for the last year. There has been almost no new features added to test. The 'bug fixes' are really more like find what don't work this week that did worked last week. Maybe it will get better.

"..I would not like the fact of losing 4 of my tuner..."

Not sure how to take this. PTAT records the "big 4" using a single satellite tuner. Leaving 2 others plus an optional OTA tuner.

"..I would not like the fact of losing 4 of my tuner..."

Not sure how to take this. PTAT records the "big 4" using a single satellite tuner. Leaving 2 others plus an optional OTA tuner.

Misunderstanding on my part. As I have never seen a Hopper, It was my understanding that it had 6 tuners, yet 4 were used to record PTAT, leaving you with 2.
So, is it more correct that it has 3 tuners and uses 1 to record PTAT, leaving you with 2.
When it is not recording PTAT, do you have 3 tuners to record shows with? Or 1 to watch and 2 left to record? Or still just 2?
If you add OTA, does it add a recording tuner, or use one of the existing tuners?
On the Genie, if you add OTA, it still uses one of the 5 tuners to record OTA.
Pardon my ignorance, just trying to get a understanding of how it works.

Thanks!

Misunderstanding on my part. As I have never seen a Hopper, It was my understanding that it had 6 tuners, yet 4 were used to record PTAT, leaving you with 2.
So, is it more correct that it has 3 tuners and uses 1 to record PTAT, leaving you with 2. YES.
When it is not recording PTAT, do you have 3 tuners to record shows with? YES. Or 1 to watch and 2 left to record? YES. Or still just 2? NO.
If you add OTA, does it add a recording tuner, or use one of the existing tuners? ADDS.
On the Genie, if you add OTA, it still uses one of the 5 tuners to record OTA.
Pardon my ignorance, just trying to get a understanding of how it works.

Thanks!

Answers embedded above.

And PTAT use is optional.

Genie. Hands down.. I dare you to compare installation procedures.

I've heard from my installer that the Genie is much easier to install but this isn't about the ease of installation now is it? This is about using the product and the Hopper is pretty awesome. I will not say that it is better than the Genie hands down (I haven't used the Genie yet) but the Hopper is the best DVR I've ever seen.

Generally speaking, the user (I'm confident that that is the focus of this contest) doesn't give a rat's butt about the installation steps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ultimately for the end user, they don't care how easy it was to install as they didn't have to install it. Its how well it works and the features it has after it is installed that matters.

I do agree, DIRECTV's install process is a lot better then DISH's. I have always liked the DIRECTV SWM setup over the DISH switch setup.

It does look like the members have spoken and the DISH Hopper with Sling has won by a large margin. I was going to announce it yesterday but with the school shooting in Colorado yesterday plus the 1 year date of the shootings here in Connecticut I respectfully decided to hold off making a big splash about it. I will do that next week.

Thanks to everyone who voted.

Generally speaking, the user (I'm confident that that is the focus of this contest) doesn't give a rat's butt about the installation steps. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
99%. I'm part of THIS 1%. I run my own coax and connectors and fish walls and install wall plates. I even drew a color coded diagram and labeled each coax for the installer when I moved from ViP722s to 2HWS/2J. I laid down extra attic flooring and lighting for him. He only had to install the node and watch me exchange boxes and call in to activate. He was overjoyed and took the diagram to show off at the shop.

If that shop had a customer of the year program, I'm sure I'd have been it.

Once you understand the principles, install is easy. I know, not a always. Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

99%. I'm part of THIS 1%.
Even given the crowd at SatelliteGuys, I'd venture to say less than 25% here do our own installations and I don't mean "connecting" cables to the receivers. I mean installing the dish, running cables, putting on connectors, etc, etc. I installed a dish one time, probably 10-15 years ago - a simple D* (single LNB) dish and used pre-made cable, ran to (1) TV. Wait, I remember a 2nd time to that I did for a neighbor (dish was already mounted, but needed re-aimed and cabling ran).

I don't own coax crimpers, a spool of RG6, etc.

If you get the tools, get compression, not crimp. I have both. Once I got compression, I never again crimped.

The only dish I've "installed" was on a tripod. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)