Wahat happens to external drive dat if I drop Dish?

backtothefuture

Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
So. FL
I'm going to add an external hard drive and I was wondering if there is any way to view the saved material if I ever decide to cancel the Dish?

The 722 player goes back to Dish and then what? What are my options (if any) for viewing the programs I've saved to a hard drive?

Go easy...my first post here. ;)

Dennis

Your external hard drive is useless if you don't stay with DISH. IF you turn your account off the hard drive shows can't be seen ever again.

Is there some type of software available to access the programs stored on the EHD via a PC and edit/save and then put back on the hard drive for future use with another receiver?
:confused:

at least the shows in the internal hard drive can be watched if you own the box, otherwise it must go back to E.......

Didn't know that. Thanks!

Ed

EDIT: Gotta learn how to read! Mistook INTERNAL for EXTERNAL.....................DUH!!! LOL

Last edited:
FSCK / Linux / Ubuntu

I have read in some other post where someone used something called FSCK / Linux / Ubuntu? to recover data on their EHD.

I don't know what any of those mean, could someone elaborate please?

:what

I have read in some other post where someone used something called FSCK / Linux / Ubuntu? to recover data on their EHD.

Yes, you can use Linux to "recover" the EHD data, but you still need an active DVR to view. Remember, the data on the EHD is ENCRYPTED and there is no known crack.

What I am planning to do should the day come is to make SD copies of the programs on my EHD to my computer. The picture quality will suffer, but at least I will have the content saved until I can build it up again on whatever new platform I choose. I had a similar problem when my first EHD crashed last year. I lost a lot of programs that I would really like to have kept. Other than episodes of TV series that had been cancelled, it took less than 6 months to build up all the lost programs and movies again. With all the repeats on the movie channels it really isn't too big of an issue. Most of the TV programs I watch are also on Hulu now, including episodes from the cancelled series that I had been saving. I rarely even watch anything on my EHD these days.

edit: By making an SD copy on my computer, I mean using a video capture card and recording it real time. Kind of low tech, but legal (I think) and reasonably effective.

Linux is an operating system, Ubuntu is a version/brand of that OS (a very good one btw- I am using it now) and FSCK is a File System CHeck program for said Linux/Ubuntu.

You can always hook the hard drive up to your computer and reformat (erase all movies) it and use
it with the computer.

True, and some other cable/satellite boxes will also let you use an external hard drive. Most of them require ESATA now I think - Tivo is one example if I remember correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts