Walk Down Memory Lane

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PHRoberts

Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
This is a cool site! I found it looking for some info about setting my my DTV system, but stumbled on this C-Band forum.

My dad was actually a C-Band dealer back in the late 80's in the Spartanburg SC area. I helped put in lots of systems... their back yard still houses a BUD, but it's no longer in use. We even had a 8' Raydex mounted on a trailer that we'd take to houses as a demo. Let them have it for a week, then come back and take it away... sold a lot of systems that way and ruled out TI issues with a trial run.

Our typical system "back in the day" was a Raydex 10' dish mounted on a concrete filled schedule 40 pipe with a Drake receiver and ArcFinder motor drive. We'd install the Drake and ArcFinder next to the "man's chair" since they didn't have remote controls. The ArcFinder was nothing more than a knob and a numeric display. We'd write down what numbers corresponded with each satellite in a copy of Orbit magazine and give them to the customer. After my dad repaired multiple arc-finder controls due to lighting damage (the hits would blow the tops right off of the chips) we started installing the lines with trailer hitch plugs for the customer to disconnect during storms! I think we moved on to more advanced receivers in later years, with integrated Videocypher decoders. I even remember watching some installer show with my dad that started out with a Videocypher in a urinal covered in running water and big graphics that said "piss on the videocypher". Ahh the good old days.

The Raydex dish was awesome... everything was stainless steel and aluminum. The one in my parent's back yard would look like brand new after five minutes with a presusre washer.

Oh well... if anyone wants a 10' Raydex in the Columbia SC area... I'm sure my parents would let it go for a song... feel free to email me at PHRoberts(at)aol(dot)com

Heath

If your father was a dealer why isn't he still using the system?

Instaed of getting rid of it why not use it?

I think he last used it in 2000 - had to get Fox News during the elections. His impression was that the programming was limited and not price competitive vs. DirecTV.

Then in 2003 he had a stroke that left him 90% blind, so maintaining the system would be impossible at this point. For the sake of discussion, what's avalable on C-band now and what are the advantages to using it?

Heath

PHRoberts said:
what's avalable on C-band now and what are the advantages to using it?

Hi Heath, welcome to the forums :)
There's a great deal of stuff up there on C-band, check out www.lyngsat.com for what free channels you'll be able to get.
On the smaller Ku dishes you'll get even more.

It's a shame to let the dish go to waste and I think you'd have a lot of fun getting it back up to its original working condition if you have the time (and patience)
There are people in here and the FTA section who would be more than willing to help you out.

PHRoberts said:
I think he last used it in 2000 - had to get Fox News during the elections. His impression was that the programming was limited and not price competitive vs. DirecTV.

Then in 2003 he had a stroke that left him 90% blind, so maintaining the system would be impossible at this point. For the sake of discussion, what's avalable on C-band now and what are the advantages to using it?

Heath

The big dish is the best system around, you can get both c/ku band and can get more channels than any other system on the market, many like myself use two boxes, the 4dtv and a DVB unit, if you only have C-band on the dish, times have changed and Ku-band is a great addition, for subscription programming once again big dish beats the others with better pricing and more channels, also the big dish is known for the highest quality picture and audio, that leaves small dish in the dust or in the fuzz :) I have had mine for 20 years and love it.

Oh the reason for two boxes, is the 4dtv moves the dish and gets analog free and sub channels and also DCII sub and free channels, the DVB box gets DVB free to air broadcasts, so with both you get best of both worlds, but many 4dtv users do not have or want a DVB box, but I for one love mine.

Pick your brain?

PHRoberts, I have a Chaparral M200C and Von Weise actuator and a Chaparral V/H 1 switch, can you tell me how to hook up this unit? I now have the book on the Chaparral but no information with what to do with the wires. Actuator has 2 #14 wires red & black I hooked them to the 32V for actuator what are the brown, yellow, blue and bare wire for? Feed horn has a red, white & black. The switch has a place for 2 wires to hook up but where do they go? think it controls the c & ku feed horns? any help would surely be appreciated
Thank you
Bill

Good old days

Yes the Guy name was Shun Kenney/He fell of a roof and die.He is the one pis-ing on GI receiver or board.His side kick BoB Cooper was in Memphis to the sat fes.The satforum had a sat party too.Doug Denhe pick his nose.Satellite City, greensheet,Stan and Ali,Joe Overholt at shop at home on G7 to 10/He went on to work for skylink Communication.Thanks for the memory

Status
Please reply by conversation.