Wally vs Hopper Duo vs Hopper 2 & 3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm playing with the idea of getting a second Hopper 3 for use both at home and in the RV. When the second H3 is in the RV, I'll have to replace it with a Joey at home (running off the first Hopper). So I'd need to be able to run the second H3 and a Joey from the same outlet, although not at the same time since the Joey would be removed when the second H3 is back home. I'm guessing the Joey will run off of the same "host" feed meant for the Hopper since MoCA is present on all feeds but I wonder if the satellite signal on the host feed meant for the Hopper will damage the Joey. What do you guys think?
The simple way to do this would be to use a second Solo Hub for the second Hopper 3, instead of a Duo Hub. Locate the second Solo Hub directly behind the second Hopper 3, and run a cable to connect a client port from the first Solo Hub to a client port on the second Solo Hub to create the MoCA network between the Hopper 3's. When you want to replace the second Hopper 3 with a Joey, just remove the second Solo Hub, and connect the cable that had been run to its client port (which is already connected to the first Solo Hub's client port) directly to the Joey instead.

The simple way to do this would be to use a second Solo Hub for the second Hopper 3, instead of a Duo Hub. Locate the second Solo Hub directly behind the second Hopper 3, and run a cable to connect a client port from the first Solo Hub to a client port on the second Solo Hub to create the MoCA network between the Hopper 3's. When you want to replace the second Hopper 3 with a Joey, just remove the second Solo Hub, and connect the cable that had been run to its client port (which is already connected to the first Solo Hub's client port) directly to the Joey instead.
So you think connecting the Joey to the host feed is a bad idea?

So you think connecting the Joey to the host feed is a bad idea?
The Joey is meant to be connected to a client port. That is what the Hub is for. By locating the Solo Hub for the second Hopper 3 where you can easily access it, that would also allow you to take that Solo Hub with you, in case you would ever want to add a Joey in the RV for some reason.

Reactions: HipKat
The Joey is meant to be connected to a client port. That is what the Hub is for. By locating the Solo Hub for the second Hopper 3 where you can easily access it, that would also allow you to take that Solo Hub with you, in case you would ever want to add a Joey in the RV for some reason.
True, I'm just trying to avoid running a second line into the room.

You seem to know the answer to everything else. How is it that you don’t know the answer to this when it has been asked and answered so many times...
I think it's 6 but I found conflicting information.
On a side note, you seem to have a problem with me. If I've offended you in any way, I'd like to say... Wait, that's right, I have no reason to care :nana

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay
You seem to know the answer to everything else. How is it that you don’t know the answer to this when it has been asked and answered so many times...

How funny. Yeah, a month ago he came here with all kinds of novice questions............now he's an expert. Quick study. :)

Reactions: JSheridan

I don't have anybody on my Ignore list here because usually everybody has something useful to contribute but he's fast approaching being the first one.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Well it seems nobody likes Wally unless they are in an rv, and even then not much love. We have 2 tvs, bedroom with a 211k, and living room with a wally. Low cost is a priority, and we are not real demanding tv watchers, but we do have hard drives attached to each for recording. We like the wally because it can record while watching something else.

We own our receivers at this point, and have been thinking about replacing the 211k with a wally. I don't fully understand the hoppers and fees. Is there a hopper system that will allow us to watch a different show on each tv, that would remove the second receiver fee and no dvr fee? You can see that I don't like fees.

Well it seems nobody likes Wally unless they are in an rv, and even then not much love. We have 2 tvs, bedroom with a 211k, and living room with a wally. Low cost is a priority, and we are not real demanding tv watchers, but we do have hard drives attached to each for recording. We like the wally because it can record while watching something else.

We own our receivers at this point, and have been thinking about replacing the 211k with a wally. I don't fully understand the hoppers and fees. Is there a hopper system that will allow us to watch a different show on each tv, that would remove the second receiver fee and no dvr fee? You can see that I don't like fees.
As you may have already guessed, the Wally would be your best bet, for the same monthly fee that you are paying now. Any Hopper will have a DVR fee. The lowest you could go with a Hopper (and still have service in two rooms) would be the Hopper Duo with a $10 per month DVR fee + a $7 per month Joey fee. A ViP722k would serve both rooms with no additional receiver fee, but it has a $15 per month DVR fee, and your second room would only get a standard-def picture. The Wally blows all of the other options away, price-wise.

Since you currently have both a ViP211k and a Wally, perhaps you can help settle a debate here. If you take the hard drive from one receiver and move it to the other one, do you still have access to those recordings on the other receiver, or does it prompt you that it needs to reformat the hard drive? (If it prompts you to reformat, don't do that, since that would erase all of the recordings.)

As you may have already guessed, the Wally would be your best bet, for the same monthly fee that you are paying now. Any Hopper will have a DVR fee. The lowest you could go with a Hopper (and still have service in two rooms) would be the Hopper Duo with a $10 per month DVR fee + a $7 per month Joey fee. A ViP722k would serve both rooms with no additional receiver fee, but it has a $15 per month DVR fee, and your second room would only get a standard-def picture. The Wally blows all of the other options away, price-wise.

Since you currently have both a ViP211k and a Wally, perhaps you can help settle a debate here. If you take the hard drive from one receiver and move it to the other one, do you still have access to those recordings on the other receiver, or does it prompt you that it needs to reformat the hard drive? (If it prompts you to reformat, don't do that, since that would erase all of the recordings.)

Well I swapped hard drives, from Wally to ViP211K, and from ViP211K to Wally, and both required a reformat for me.

Thank you for confirming my understanding that my current setup is the most economical for me. I do wish they would add the Youtube app to the Wally, that would be my biggest want at this point. I like our Wally, and will be searching out a cheap one to replace the ViP211K.

Reactions: pattykay
Thank you for confirming my understanding that my current setup is the most economical for me. I do wish they would add the Youtube app to the Wally, that would be my biggest want at this point. I like our Wally, and will be searching out a cheap one to replace the ViP211K.
My best guess is that the Youtube app may be coming later this year. If you want a cheap Wally, I have one that I rarely use, that I would be willing to part with. Let me know if you are interested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)