Walmart Seals Deal to Buy VIZIO

Does this mean Vizio is now a Walmart "house" brand like Insignia is for Best Buy?
Yes, but there could be some anti-trust issues popping up, Walmart will have to prove to the regulators they will not favor Vizio over other brands they sell.

But the main reason they are buying Vizio is for advertising potential.

Yes, but there could be some anti-trust issues popping up, Walmart will have to prove to the regulators they will not favor Vizio over other brands they sell.

But the main reason they are buying Vizio is for advertising potential.

Ya know, I have 3 Vizio TVs in my house today. I love 2 of them. I don’t trust Walmart to maintain the standards of their better models. So, with this deal, my next TVs will probably be from a different maker.

Reactions: FTA4PA and AZ.
Does this mean Vizio is now a Walmart "house" brand like Insignia is for Best Buy?
They want to create their own branded "Walmart Prime Video" setup, just like Amazon.

Walmart isn't stupid, like Sears was. They can see which way the wind blows. The only thing Vizio makes that's any good, is their soundbars. The tv sets are crap.

I had a VIZIO TV some years back and it didn't even make it to a year before the screen had a black bar across the screen. So they replaced that one since it was under a year warranty and then it happened again with a black bar across the screen and this time I bought another TV brand and have never looked at VIZIO again. I also remember the color on their faces looked almost orange yellow. That TV sucked and it was recommended by some one at work who had one. I don't talk to that guy anymore.:rolleyes:

Reactions: comfortably_numb
They want to create their own branded "Walmart Prime Video" setup, just like Amazon.

Walmart isn't stupid, like Sears was. They can see which way the wind blows. The only thing Vizio makes that's any good, is their soundbars. The tv sets are crap.
That may be your opinion but it is not mine. I’ve had a P75C1 set for 7 years. It cost $3500 at the time, it was top of the line. It has 4K and all the HDRs, except HDR10+. it is bright and has very good blacks. I’m going to watch a 4K blu-ray of Oppenheimer on it tonight and it will look better than it does in theaters.

They already do-

The problem with this Onn streamer (from Walmart's perspective) is that it runs Google TV, so Walmart isn't getting any of the ad revenue or user data from those devices; as far as we know, all the benefits go to Google. I think Walmart sells it mainly as a way to cock-block sales of Amazon's cheap Fire TV sticks.

I wonder if Walmart will discontinue their Onn streamer and launch a Vizio-branded streamer, running the same smart TV OS as Vizio TVs, to replace it. I can't see why they wouldn't.

A little late to the party dontcha think? Perhaps they don't understand that advs get inserted into content, not hardware. Owning your own TV mfg doesn't give you anywhere to insert advs. So, no robust in house streaming service (perhaps where they should have focused). WatchFree+ is not what I would call robust. The most recent numbers show 70% of shoppers purchase from Amazon while only 40% purchase from Walmart. That is a gigantic gap to overcome, especially at this late stage, and I don't see how buying your own TV company closes that gap. And, of course, this all assumes people will buy Vizios once Walmart owns them and starts building those TVs down to Walmart's price points. Day late, dollar short.

That may be your opinion but it is not mine. I’ve had a P75C1 set for 7 years. It cost $3500 at the time, it was top of the line. It has 4K and all the HDRs, except HDR10+. it is bright and has very good blacks. I’m going to watch a 4K blu-ray of Oppenheimer on it tonight and it will look better than it does in theaters.
Well, I'm glad it sounds like you got one of the good ones.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/VIZIO_Official/comments/ue10r1/is_vizio_the_worst_television_brand_on_the_market/

Actually I have 3 of them. Along with my P I also have an M series that I purchased last year and it is also very good. Now, I also have a V series, their lowest cost version, that is kind of meh. Looking at your Reddit link it seems more are positive than negative. but then that is Reddit and I don't hold a lot of credit with them.

A little late to the party dontcha think? Perhaps they don't understand that advs get inserted into content, not hardware.
Roku has advertisements in the hardware, right on the main page and in the content, also shares in the revenue for ads during content on other streaming services.

From the 4th quarter report-

Platform revenue, the category that includes advertising, rose 13% to $829 million in Q4, with the company crediting streaming services distribution activities and video advertising.

Not to split hairs, but technically that isn't hardware, it's software- the ads are displayed by the Roku OS.
But it is specific to Roku’s Hardware (boxes), which is why I separated it from ads via content.