Want to enable OTA recording on my HR10-250

flyboy1

Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I have an HR10-250 and only get OTA and the 30 minute pause. Is there any way to enable OTA recording? This box is not obsolete in my area and will not receive satellite anymore. It is, however, a nice HD digital OTA receiver.

The drawback of the TIVO is it requires a guide menu to work. That guide is downloaded daily from your DirecTV account, even for local TV channels. Since you don't have it connected for DirecTV, all you can do with it for DVR use is as you stated. It is a great HD tuner for the digital TV channels in your area, however. FWIW- I too, used the HR 10-250 in my kitchen after cancelling D* and it worked great as a tuner with pause and 30 minute skip back recording. I used it until Dish Network gave me a new VIP tuner. :)

Does this mean that I can't even record at a certain time on a certain day without the guide? That would be a bummer.

TIVO doesn't allow you to record without the guide data. At least I could never figure out how. Just pause and repeat on the fly. You could access for playback any recordings made prior to disconnection from the DirecTV service. But again it will only work for mpeg2 channels. Once they are all gone it will go dark.