Want to make Voom's HD look better?

theman said:
Can someone tell me where to find the disc everyone is talking about? circuit city or best buy maybe? thanks

You can also get them used for pretty cheap on eBay.

Just search for "AVIA Guide" and "digital video essentials".

I haven't used these yet, but I probably will.

I was disappointed in DVE and like VE better. I prefer Avia to both (their new pro package is much $s). ISFing I find to be pretty similar in costs regardless of device, and with multiple inputs can add up. There are diminishing returns. If you spend 8K on a projector, it is worth the 700 for world class calibration (or so I'm telling myself). Harder to justify on 2K set (and who would of thought there would be 2K sets just a few years ago).

I have 5 different setup discs and the one I keep going back to is the THX setup built into any THX certified DVD, it's quick, easy and accurate. It still doesn't help the low bitrate of Voom or the mess that is EquatorHD though.

DVE is great for a basic calibration. To get black level and Grey scale perfect an ISF tech is required. ISF tech will access information that you are not allowed to access because you can truly screw up a television. On another Home Theater forum you read a lot of information about calibrations and how amazing they can make a CRT look. My usage of the DVE made a good improvement but I still would love to pay $400 to have it done professional. I guess it depends on the TV, DVD and how much you treasure PQ to whether a difference will off set the money.

Back in my day libraries had books, microfiche, and the Dewey Decimal System. Now they've got DVDs? That's crazy :)

I've got AVIA and a few THX disks, but I prefer AVIA. When I use the THX, I get different results from different disks. Maybe one of them's bad or my DVD-player is bunk, which is likely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)