Want to switch to Dish from DTV north of New Orleans

bigec2002

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 17, 2005
I live about 50 miles north of New Orleans and although I have Directv HD it is limited in content and I would like to switch to Dish to gain additional HD channels. What is the easiest way to do this? I see people on this forum going to a dishshop.net to buy equip? I thought all the dish gear was leased?? Also I have trouble getting some of the New Orleans locals on HD particularly NBC, UPN and WB. How easy is it to get these through E*? Thanks in advance for the info.
bigec2002:p

Your best bet would be to find a local retailer/installer and lease the equipment. If you can't find one call 1-800-333-3474....DISH Network and you will get the same deal. $50 for equip and install with a $50 credit on your 1st bill. Or pay an extra $199 for the 622 DVR.

The people that are buying equipment already have an active account and have already upgraded and just want more equipment. i.e. DISH will only lease an account (1) 622 DVR so if somebody wants (2) they have to purchase the second.

As far as your locals in HD...I'm pretty sure they are on in N.O. but not sure.

Hope I helped!

Whether you use a local retailer or Call DISh directly, you can get the install fee waived and still get the $50 credit on your first bill--plus some other discounts if you use a Club Dish referral discount, which I can give you if you PM me!

You can then give the same referrals to other you know who want to switch to DISH (first time subs) and you can get up to $25/month off your regular bill.

I don't think Local HD for New Orleans is available yet.

Here's the standard definition channels for the New Orleans market. Before about April, you needed a SuperDish 121, but now these channels are on the 110 Satellite.

Station Local Channel Number Dish Channel Number
NEW ORLEANS ABC-WGNO 26 7688
NEW ORLEANS CBS-WWL 4 7689
NEW ORLEANS FOX-WVUE 8 7691
NEW ORLEANS IND-WHNO 20 7695
NEW ORLEANS MNT-WUPL 54 7693
NEW ORLEANS NBC-WDSU 6 7690
NEW ORLEANS PBS-WYES 12 7694
NEW ORLEANS PBS-WLAE 32 7696
NEW ORLEANS WB-WNOL 38 7692
NEW ORLEANS i TV-WPXL 49 7697

If by chance you are within the Baton Rouge market, the standard definition locals were added a couple of months ago.

Last edited:
I live in Slidell and get my locals in hd with an over the air antenna. wdsu nbc is not currently broadcasting in hd over the air so you will not get that one in hd. If you go directly through dish network, you don't have to sign a contract if you pay $50 installation fee. You dont have to buy any equipment

bigec2002 said:
I live about 50 miles north of New Orleans and although I have Directv HD it is limited in content and I would like to switch to Dish to gain additional HD channels. What is the easiest way to do this? I see people on this forum going to a dishshop.net to buy equip? I thought all the dish gear was leased?? Also I have trouble getting some of the New Orleans locals on HD particularly NBC, UPN and WB. How easy is it to get these through E*? Thanks in advance for the info.
bigec2002:p

Re: New Orleans OTA

As noted above, NBC 6.1 (WDSU-DT 43) is not broadcasting at all. They say it will be summer 2007 before they rebuild their transmitter.

UPN-54.1 (WUPL DT 24 now MYNETWORK TV) is broadcasting on its transmitter (480i only) but since Katrina has not been broadcasting 1080i (no idea when they will be back to HD)

WB-38.1 (now The CW) (WNOL-DT 40) is currently broadcasting on leased transmitter from WPXL. (UHF 50) but is broadcasting 480i only and won't be back to 1080i for a while.

Additionally, WGNO DT15 (ABC 15.1) is owned by the same company as the WB above, and is also broadcasting on the same leased transmitter. But they (ABC) are broadcasting in HD (720p) also on UHF Channel 50.

WWL DT36 (4.1) CBS is operating fully on their transmitter at 1080i

WVUE DT29 (8.1) FOX is operating fully on their transmitter at 720p

WYES DT11 (12.1) PBS is operating fully on their transmitter at 1080i

Re: Dish Network

For Dish network you will need two dishes, a dish 500 for 110 and 119 and a single LNB dish for 61.5 and an HD reciever ( Vip622 or vip211/411)

New Orleans HD Locals are not available (yet) but were slated to be turned on in 2006. (we'll keep our fingers crossed on that one)

SD locals are available. (on 110 sat)

Yeah, it sure would be nice for those NoLa HD locals to be put up on Dish. I know where Dish hosts the computers/tranmitters that feeds their satellites and it's in Metairie off of causeway (for you locals) which is part of Cox Cable service area. Cox is the only current way to get NBC in HD. So for many of us (especially us northshore people), the only chance of us getting NBC in HD anytime soon would be Dish putting them up. Or wait till WDSU EVER fixes their hurricane damaged transmitters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts