Wanted 10-250 got HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.
rkr0923 said:
LOL all this wait and it's junk...........just as I figured
Well let us know what your experiences have been so far with your new HR20-700, maybe between the users here we can all help out and learn from one another and MAYBE people will end up likeing it once we all figure out the newest software out.

How long have you had your HR20-700,
What do you not like ?
What do you like about it ?
How are the menus ? Speed ? ect.

Jimbo

Satmeister said:
It's amazing how much over-hype there is (not to mention loyalty) for the Tivo software. I still remember when it came out for the first time, and much of the feedback was "its too complicated" or "how is anyone supposed to figure this out" - of course, that was in the day of the VCR.

Now it appears some tree-hugger loyalists can't function in life without their Tivo. Kinda like the Starbucks addicts.

What's interesting is that what really made Tivo popular for some time was its simplicity. Again, that was in the day when typical users didn't know how to use the Internet. Problem is, that has been it's downfall - not enough enhancements, bug fixes, and new technology provided over the years. That's why there's been a cottage industry of "hacks" and "tweaks" - because Tivo itself failed to properly evolve. I personally felt the software GUI remained too "dumbed down" for today's more sophisticated users.

Now we have only about 30 days of life for the new software running on the new HR20 HD DVR's - only time will tell if it becomes accepted as well or better. Based on the huge demand for these newest HD boxes, it would appear that Tivo isn't the end-all or best-thing-since-sliced-bread software solution that some make it out to be. To me, the fact that some cable outfits are adopting it almost reaffirms that Tivo may be near its last breath. If it wasn't for the recent Comcrap deal, Tivo would be in Bankruptcy Court right now.
I am about as far from a "treehugger" or "starbucks addict" that there is. But I am a fan of COMMON SENSE and simplicity in function. I DID NOT like the "guessing" that Tivo would do for programs that I might like. So guess what? I turned it off. Simple. I understand "dumbed down" But I think it was again more of a case of simplictic form and function. Again, it mereley took common sense and just sort of flowed the way you think it should. Again I WANT to like this box. I am one of the handfull of firsts to have it nd LOVE new technology. But I hate crap, and sloppiness. But I sm giving this thing a fair shake. Trust me.

More pluses. I am really likeing the guide speed, though not a fan of having to pick guide "type" every time, it's just one more button to press. I will say though there is still alot of audio and video breaing up in small pic square while it is processing. And sometimes carries over when back in full screen.
With the discoveries last night of "jump" like and "resume playing" where left off, I am a bit better. But again, it does not "flow" as smothly or feel quite right. i.e you have to hold 30sec button down for 3secs to jump to end and "skip back" 30secs to jump to beginning. But it is there.
I will also say that this box (set to 1080i) seems to improve he bad SD chnnels quite noticeably. This is a very big plus.
Also a strange thing. This is likely a problem with the overscaning on my t.v . But when in 480p mode everything is totally fine. But in 1080i, the picture tapers off a bit at the bottom left. Cutting off just a bit of ESPN ticker and bottom row of guide. Again I think this is more tv related and will adjust this weekend in service mode.
Also alot of my anger is due to lack of HD locals via satellite and inability to record HD ota. I want to hear concrete answers on this timeline for both. Also will ask DTV if I can have CBS-E and Fox-E HD feeds in the meantime.
I wish I could turn off the blue circle.

GB33 said:
More pluses. I am really likeing the guide speed, though not a fan of having to pick guide "type" every time, it's just one more button to press. I will say though there is still alot of audio and video breaing up in small pic square while it is processing. And sometimes carries over when back in full screen.
With the discoveries last night of "jump" like and "resume playing" where left off, I am a bit better. But again, it does not "flow" as smothly or feel quite right. i.e you have to hold 30sec button down for 3secs to jump to end and "skip back" 30secs to jump to beginning. But it is there.
I will also say that this box (set to 1080i) seems to improve he bad SD chnnels quite noticeably. This is a very big plus.
Also a strange thing. This is likely a problem with the overscaning on my t.v . But when in 480p mode everything is totally fine. But in 1080i, the picture tapers off a bit at the bottom left. Cutting off just a bit of ESPN ticker and bottom row of guide. Again I think this is more tv related and will adjust this weekend in service mode.
Also alot of my anger is due to lack of HD locals via satellite and inability to record HD ota. I want to hear concrete answers on this timeline for both. Also will ask DTV if I can have CBS-E and Fox-E HD feeds in the meantime.
I wish I could turn off the blue circle.

So you dug it out of your trash and decided to give it a try ???:confused:

Jimbos said:
Well let us know what your experiences have been so far with your new HR20-700, maybe between the users here we can all help out and learn from one another and MAYBE people will end up likeing it once we all figure out the newest software out.
Well said.

This is extremely new, and surely the GUI and other features will evolve. So far, so good.

GB33 said:
I am currently a bit upset, and am not at home so I will give much more insight later. Installer was 1.5 hrs late to kick off with. I had a feeling this was coming. We specifically asked for 10-250 and the CSR read it back to us. Instead we got the new HR20-700. He was shocked that we got it A)for free and B) I was dissapointed. So we will see. I hd to get back to work for now, but will play with it later. He claims I am THE FIRST in Indianapolis. DTV rep was shocked to hear we got that box today. I am not really believing we are the first but we will see.
My biggest deal right now is the HD local bit. My #1 and ONLY reason for wanting the HR10-250 was to RECORD local's in HD. Now I CANNOT even get them via OTA, cannot diplex into AT9, and Indy currently only has 2 locals in HD 2! No CBS or Fox, oly ABC and NBC. Nice to have them over sat, but I want them all. THEN I was told that even once the OTA tuner is "turned on" sometime in next 2 months that I WILL NOT be able to record from that! Oh and to top it off, in order to continue getting the locals in HD via satellite that I MUST have the HD package. This is NOT RIGHT! So they are going to FORCE me to pay 10 bucks a month or I can't record locals in HD?! I hope I am just getting some conflicting and very wrong information. Oh and the AT9 is at the peak of gable on side of house where 3-LNB once was. He was "iffy" on putting it there, so we shall see.
You mean this POS still doesnt do the most basic of things? OTA?:rolleyes:

GB33 said:
But I think it was again more of a case of simplictic form and function. Again, it mereley took common sense and just sort of flowed the way you think it should. Again I WANT to like this box. I am one of the handfull of firsts to have it nd LOVE new technology. But I hate crap, and sloppiness. But I sm giving this thing a fair shake.
The word that fits what you're describing is INTUITIVE.

You're right, it is nice to have some intuitiveness in the user interface. My point is that since Tivo came out, users have mostly evolved past the crayon stage. It's pretty tough to screw up menu-based software. That said, the real challenge is balancing "easy of use" with "don't insult me, I know how to do that". That too, is evolving as the market gets more Internet, computer, and HDTV savvy.

We'll have to see how this GUI evolves, but so far, considering the level of technology involved, it appears pretty solid.

Read about the 6.3 for hr10-250 finally coming next week. Now I am even more ticked that I have this over it. Really, I understand what this box "is" and "can do" but that doesn't mean that I have to like it. I wanted to record locals OTA in HD. Can't do that. I only get 2 via satellite. Recording and menus are a bit clumsy to me. That's the bottom line.
I personally am not expecting much in the lines of changing and evolving. Has the other DVR they made (R15?) changed much? I see people giving it negatives all the time. DTV just wants to seperate themselves from tivo, and I get that. But don't like it. Tivo makes sense and "flows". This does not. It is not as hoorible as I first thought, but it is FAR from being a simple joy to use. Call it "dumbing down" if you like. But why should I have to think and navigate when I am trying to ENJOY my tv watching experience?

Last edited:
GB33 said:
By why should I have to think and navigate when I am trying to ENJOY my tv watching experience?
If you can't navigate with simple menus and buttons.... :D

Face it - Tivo is dead in the sat world, and marginally breathing in the cable world (new). MPEG - 2 will be dead in the near future as well.

So why would anyone want an MPEG-2 & 1990's GUI-based DVR that is over-priced as well?

My guess is that D*TV camne to that conclusion some time, which is why they parted ways. That, and the fact that Tivo had so many holes in in that a cottage industry of "enhancements and workarounds" came to be.

Funny, I never said can't navigate through menus, I would just rather not.
But if you have to use message boards to try and insult somebody then.....
If it is available to me now, works the way Iwant, is fast enough for what I want. Then that is what I want. I will say it again. The whole reason I wanted the Dtivo was to record local shows in HD. Preferrably via OTA. I cannot do that with this box. And the 2 local HD's that I get via sat are clumsy to navigate through wile using.
I will say this box makes SD channels look better. I do not know if it is more to do with the upscaling, software, or what ever but it truely does make a noticeable difference.
I have also learned hat I still have the original software (0xa4) and the newer one should be downloaded either last night or I will try to force. I am giving ths thing a good go this weekend.

GB33 said:
Funny, I never said can't navigate through menus, I would just rather not.

I have also learned hat I still have the original software (0xa4) and the newer one should be downloaded either last night or I will try to force. I am giving ths thing a good go this weekend.
SO in other words, the jury's out...since you're not even on the latest firmware release. Seems reasonable.

You certainly have every right to judge the new HR20 based on your requirements and expectations....but not everyone else may agree.

The OTA issue is something that will be addressed in a couple of weeks, not months or years. Certainly, this new equipment that came out of beta field testing in L.A. just a week ago will have its kinks, just like almost every other new piece of equipment brought to market. It took 14 firware reelases to get the H10-250 "stable", so if this is getting close after 2-3....that's progress. Hope you get what you want soon.

Yes, it is indeed out. I am calming down as much as possible as time goes on. I will attempt to force the update today if it has not already done so on the firmware.
Have learned that the OTA deal was also about stability, but expectations for the tuners capabilities are high and should bebeter than the 10-250. Again, we shall see.

I have read in other forums that D* is supposed to come out with a revised UI for their boxes next year, I think February. This may help with making the interface more intuitive, or at least more readable. I guess time will tell. :D

GH

GB33 said:
Has this other guy ever had a Tivo or any other non-DTV DVR?
I've got a HR10-250 and 2 R15s. The Tivo is a dog compared to the R15s. Takes way too long to look through the guide, setup recordings, etc. However, the OTA works beautifully! :up Still can't believe people have trouble with it when I'm 30 miles away with an attic antenna and I'm in the high 90s for signal.

I won't get rid of my Tivo until they give me a free replacement and enable OTA for the HR20. It just makes no sense for someone in my shoes to do it until then. I should probably add that I do not sub to the HD package, I just get HBO and Showtime from D* and my OTA.

Would be nice to have a snappier interface with the Tivo though... that thing's a dog. :eek: Maybe 6.3 will fix it next week.

mechman

Here is old style TIVOs:
You: - let me record this show.... push record button.....TIVO: Would you like to record this show? You: Yes I would like to record this show.....TIVO: Are you sure you want to record this show? You: Yes damn it I wanna record THIS show let me record this show dont ask me stupid questions hundreed times just record the stupid show before I thow you against the wall!!!!!!!!!! TIVO: Ok this show is now being recorded.......

Here is DirecTV DVRs:
Click...Done.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)