Wanting a 722K only, Dish can't promise that's what I will receive. Why can't they??? Any suggestio

can you explain how a CSR can do as they claimed then, that is, when I asked specifically for the 722k, I got what I asked for and it showed up specifically in my account file as a 722 and as a 722K?

Just to prove to you that I am completely truthful, here is an excerpt from the e-mail I got within minutes of the commitment of the CSR who did specify the 722k. I redacted some personal numbers for my security..
One word: Luck

As for the OP wanting a 722k over the 722, it has a larger HDD...

Not true. Same disk size: 500GB.

...and being newer, it may have a newer chipset, faster processor, and more memory.

True it's newer. I believe it has a newer chipset, though I have no idea about being faster or having more memory.

By the time Dish builds a slightly newer model, faster CPUs are available, RAM gets cheaper, so it's almost a freebie to get this. I could be confused with the original Hopper vs the Hopper w/ Sling too though -- I know it got a faster CPU, but more importantly, the amount of RAM jumped substantially, as I recall. I can't detailed technical specs on the 622 / 722 / 722k now so who knows....

The 722 has S-Video out for TV1 and the 722k has no S-Video output. The 722 has channel 3-4 modulator out and the 722k does not, it requires the OTA module. The 722 is a half inch longer than the 722k and they have different remotes. Those are the only differences between the two. Both have the same recording capabilities.

We have no way to request a 722k over a 722. This is based on the available stock.

You are able to have a 622 and a 722 on an account.
We have no way to request a 722 over a 722K!!! And herein lies the problem. Why not? There's plenty of both out there so how big a problem would it be for both to be stocked so we could get what we want? Come on it's only three models. The sub is paying a monthly fee for service so give the sub some control over his hardware.. The 722 is the only DVR with a built in OTA tuner (which by the way is why I switched to Dish). If that's what I want that's what you should provide. If I want a Hopper I can get a Hopper but if I want a 722 I might end up with anything in the 622 family. Dish knows how many 622 vs 722 vs 722K's they put out there every month. Stock accordingly. No choice is just unacceptable in this day and age. Wow, I just ordered a Yamaha receiver from Amazon but they sent me a Denon because that's what they had in stock. NOT.

Last edited:
Update for my situation!

Here is an update! I was on chat again this morning with a CSR who then transferred me to Customer Retention. At this point I was fed up since I had caught the CSR's in 4 different lies about what was really happening with the upgrade. I decided to save all my transcripts of the chats as pdf files and I emailed them to Joe Clayton at Dish around 10:45 am this morning. I wanted him to really see what I was told and how I was treated. I have been in customer service for close to 30 years and don't lie to customers. If I don't know the answer, I will say I need to research or check on that and get back to you.

An hour ago, I received a phone call from the corporate offices in Denver, Mr. Clayton had forwarded my email to an executive level customer service person to take care of this. I received a very nice apology and they are overnight shipping a 722K and a sling adapter that will be here tomorrow.

That email is a shipping confirmation, after the unit has left the warehouse, and the UPS tracking number has been assigned. Of course at that point the R# would be known along with the model number. That does not prove at all that AT ORDER TIME the CSR knew what it was going to be.

I'm sorry, I have to agree with you that is just a confirmation that what was sent was what the CSR said I would be getting. Prior to that email, which I received a couple hours later, she sent me an email WHILE I WAS ON THE PHONE with her to confirm she had ordered up that 722K.
Dear Donald,

This confirms that we are shipping a replacement receiver to the address below:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32207.

Per your agreement, you may be responsible for returning your current equipment. Return instructions will be included with your replacement receiver. Please review the information below to determine if your equipment needs to be returned.

ViP722k R0108xxxxxxx Return Required

Once your replacement receiver has shipped, you will receive an additional email notification that includes tracking information for your package.

Do not attempt to sell any equipment that does not need to be returned. This equipment is tied to your DISH account and cannot be transferred to another DISH customer.

To review your order, please visit mydish.com/myshipments.

Thank you for being a valued DISH customer.

Also, I was online with my account too and before the end of the call I could see my order page in my account was indeed updated with that same information.

Here is my opinion on all the claims that some CSR's can do this and others can't. I believe based on the evidence that some CSR's know how to please customers while others sit back and choose to blame everything on the customer. OK, I retract the comment about lying as that, I agree, is uncalled for as that indicates a CSR is intentionally trying to antagonize the customer. I have no proof except in one case several years ago that happened. Some of you may recall my saga with 6 622's sent to me all with the same problem. But absent an intentional malicious refusal to give the customer what they ordered, I can only conclude by the responses here that some CSRs know their system while others don't. Those who believe they have no way to enter an order for the item requested by the customer need to find out who can do this properly and then learn from them how they do it.

Last edited:
One word: Luck

Well, at least you didn't claim it was devine intervention. :) :)

Hey if it is luck then maybe the method my CSR used was a simple rolling the dice ( aka doing an order entry over and over, until a 722k came up), but she got lucky in a couple minutes, that's for sure. Anyway, nice try but I still say there is something wrong when it's CSR's don't all play by the same rules. There should never be a thought in the customer's mind when he calls for support whether or not he will get the CSR from Hell, need devine intervention, or someone who is knowledgeable and just does a good job.

Here is an update! I was on chat again this morning with a CSR who then transferred me to Customer Retention. At this point I was fed up since I had caught the CSR's in 4 different lies about what was really happening with the upgrade. I decided to save all my transcripts of the chats as pdf files and I emailed them to Joe Clayton at Dish around 10:45 am this morning. I wanted him to really see what I was told and how I was treated. I have been in customer service for close to 30 years and don't lie to customers. If I don't know the answer, I will say I need to research or check on that and get back to you.

An hour ago, I received a phone call from the corporate offices in Denver, Mr. Clayton had forwarded my email to an executive level customer service person to take care of this. I received a very nice apology and they are overnight shipping a 722K and a sling adapter that will be here tomorrow.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Thank you for standing up and pursuing the matter, rather than giving in early and just bad mouthing Dish. Perhaps others will take a lesson from your example and be more pro-active in the future.

If it wasn't for the fact that I had already purchased 2 ViP 722k's & was sitting on them for over a year until I finally got Dish installed last year,I'd have a Hopper system also. While maybe I could have sold the 2 722k's on eBay to recoup the money I spent earlier on them,I decided to go ahead & both install & have them activated. Eventually I will upgrade to the Hopper,but I just couldn't justify paying maybe over $500.00 on 2 dvr's & not use them.

If it wasn't for the fact that I had already purchased 2 ViP 722k's & was sitting on them for over a year until I finally got Dish installed last year,I'd have a Hopper system also. While maybe I could have sold the 2 722k's on eBay to recoup the money I spent earlier on them,I decided to go ahead & both install & have them activated. Eventually I will upgrade to the Hopper,but I just couldn't justify paying maybe over $500.00 on 2 dvr's & not use them.

I'm assuming there is a good reason for you purchasing all of your receivers?

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Thank you for standing up and pursuing the matter, rather than giving in early and just bad mouthing Dish. Perhaps others will take a lesson from your example and be more pro-active in the future.

Thanks Navy! I really try not dis any company because of a few people. I am a manager at work and I would appreciate if someone had proof like I did to present it in responsible way. I really didn't think I would get a call because I wasn't sure if I had the email address correct. My motto has always been if you want something ask for it, at worst, you're only going to be told no, at best you might get what you ask for! The other thing is to "kill 'em with kindness", I have never, ever yelled or cussed if I have a complaint to a company. I only get politely loud! (and yes, I am a woman) ;)

Thanks Navy! I really try not dis any company because of a few people. I am a manager at work and I would appreciate if someone had proof like I did to present it in responsible way. I really didn't think I would get a call because I wasn't sure if I had the email address correct. My motto has always been if you want something ask for it, at worst, you're only going to be told no, at best you might get what you ask for! The other thing is to "kill 'em with kindness", I have never, ever yelled or cussed if I have a complaint to a company. I only get politely loud! (and yes, I am a woman) ;)

We try the "Kill'em with kindness" technique often. It can work pretty well but some people are just too dense to understand. LOL

I'm assuming there is a good reason for you purchasing all of your receivers?

They originally said that my credit wouldn't allow for "free set up" where they would supply the receivers,so I bought my own & then waited until I could clear the trees for LOS & I'm paying flex pay where I own my equipment.

I'm sorry, I have to agree with you that is just a confirmation that what was sent was what the CSR said I would be getting. Prior to that email, which I received a couple hours later, she sent me an email WHILE I WAS ON THE PHONE with her to confirm she had ordered up that 722K.

Also, I was online with my account too and before the end of the call I could see my order page in my account was indeed updated with that same information.

Here is my opinion on all the claims that some CSR's can do this and others can't. I believe based on the evidence that some CSR's know how to please customers while others sit back and choose to blame everything on the customer. OK, I retract the comment about lying as that, I agree, is uncalled for as that indicates a CSR is intentionally trying to antagonize the customer. I have no proof except in one case several years ago that happened. Some of you may recall my saga with 6 622's sent to me all with the same problem. But absent an intentional malicious refusal to give the customer what they ordered, I can only conclude by the responses here that some CSRs know their system while others don't. Those who believe they have no way to enter an order for the item requested by the customer need to find out who can do this properly and then learn from them how they do it.

I know it's your opinion that someone is jerking you around, but Zach already told you and everyone, CSRs and even Loyalty do not have the ability to order a specific model in a model family. You got the luck of the draw. It wasn't that someone pressed the magic button, there isn't one.

So you keep on and on about how you think "some CSRs know their system while others don't". I know the system. Zach knows the system. What you think is there (the ability to specify which receiver) is not there. Period.

So, unless you'd like to call me, and call Zach a liar, I will tell you you're wrong. We use the same account management software enterprise-wide, and it simply does not have the features to select the model you think it does. So no, there is nothing that I, or the CSRs you have dealt with, need to learn.

I make no claims about what the executive team out in Colorado can or can not do, however. I speak only of the executive team in that regard, I know they DO have access to systems that the CSRs, loyalty agents, and advanced tech agents through the company's 11 offices don't have. Those folks on those 11 US offices can't do what you think they can.

Oh, and a legal disclaimer that will apply to all my posts, and I will add to my signature. My opinions are my own, and are not meant to represent the opinions of DISH in any way whatsoever.

I have long said you can get the model you want with Dish, and much easier by the way than with Direct. But not this way. When the order is placed, you contact the installer and make it clear (always in a nice way) that you only want a 722K. (Or whatever the family model you want) Go as far as telling them even if the date has to be changed, you are willing to do that.
I have never liked that any carrier does not let you get what you want, especially with what it costs now and the trend for less cable/satellite subscribers. It can be done. It's more work for them, I don't think it's asking too much to get the family model you want.

I will give one caveat. If there are very few of a model due to being phased out and/or no longer being produced, I can see how that would be hit or miss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)