Wanting a 722K only, Dish can't promise that's what I will receive. Why can't they??? Any suggestio

The installer ? People aren't likely to know or have access to who (or what company) will do the installation.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The installer ? People aren't likely to know or have access to who (or what company) will do the installation.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

You ask to have them call before coming, but in some cases you can find out who is doing the installing. This last time Dish was able to tell me and I called them. In the past I know they did not know who it would be at the time of the call, but I had them call before coming. As the OP demonstrates, there are ways to get the one you want. Never said it was always easy, just easier than with Direct.

SomeDishGuy- First of all you do have a real problem reading what I post. Please read this slowly- I DO NOT HAVE a problem with the CSR I got when I called. I was NOT jerked around. The OP was. As far as I'm concerned my CSR was official and they did what they claimed. I have no issue with Zach or any other official DIRT Team member regardless of what they claim they can or cannot do. I had no need for them (DIRT) to assist me in this two DVR exchange process. When DIRT Team Member Zach said he could not request a replacement the same as what I ordered, then I accept that he doesn't know how to do that. What I am claiming is that when I called Dish CSR to get a replacement for my DVR's the CSR did not make a big issue of it, was polite, and promised to send me the DVR I requested, then backed up what she said with confirmation, twice, the second time with the tracking number. DVR was the correct one and is installed by me and is working fine so far. You seem to be the one who is claiming that the CSR lied to me and you seem to be the one who is having a problem that I am a happy camper. You are the one who claims to be a FORMER CSR. I can only guess why! I ONLY claim that I asked for a specific model and the CSR politely got me what I asked for. End of story.

In the past, however, I DID have issue with a number of CSR's who were trouble and after the proverbial CSR roulette game I got one who handled the problem with satisfaction. The only luck I see in this is CSR roulette. I'm not the only one who has these problems and I'm not the only one who gets satisfaction by being a squeaky wheel as one poster claimed.

Anyway, I posted my experience, The OP posted hers. She had to jump through a few hoops and go to the top to get satisfaction. All I had to do this time is ask and the CSR did what I asked. You claim she lied to me but I say she did the job of a good CSR. Who do you think would get the good review of satisfaction if Dish ever asked for one? It appears to me that some CSR's don't know what to do if... But that's not my problem, now, is it? Unfortunately, when the CSR doesn't know what to do while another CSR does, it makes them look bad. Sorry about THAT, take it up with your supervisor, not me.

We use the same account management software enterprise-wide, and it simply does not have the features to select the model you think it does.

OK... Then how do the refurbishment people send out like for like, e.g. when they replace a dead receiver?

OK... Then how do the refurbishment people send out like for like, e.g. when they replace a dead receiver?

Swapping out a receiver is a different process than an upgrade. Two different tools in the software. The swap out is called an "RA". The bad receiver is selected from the list of all the receivers on the account, the reason for the swap is chosen (DVR function, will not power on, hard drive 311 failure, etc), and the software sets up a replacement receiver to be sent via UPS second day ground. So when a replacement is selected, the agents do not select the model type at all, it is done automatically to swap same-for-same. That is also subject to the whims of supply, as I have heard of people with a plain 722 getting a 722K as a replacement receiver. Again, based on available supply. The software will not swap out for a lesser receiver, but it may, if there aren't exact models in stock, move up. The CSR will not see that when doing the RA swap. Now, mind you, if the agent were to look at the account some time later (the exact amount of time, I do not know), they can see what receiver was sent out.

Doing an upgrade used to be called DIU, or Dishin It Up, and that is a completely different tab on the account page. That does choose the receiver by family. For instance, when choosing a VIP Solo receiver, it shows the family, and in theory, the customer could get a 211, 211K, 211Z, or a 411. It won't show the agent which one, although for that instance, I think it's mostly 211K out there, but I know there are 211Z receivers in play too. Another example, for the upgrade, if it is a SD Duo DVR (where that can still be chosen), it will show as the 522 family, which includes the 522 and the 625. Don't think I've ever heard of it sending a 522 lately, but the CSR doesn't get to choose between the 522 and the 625.

So, again, the swap/RA process will change out a same-for-same (or slightly better if no supply for the same), and the upgrade/DIU process will let the agent choose the family.

(quick edit to add more examples) I think the 622/722/722K family is the main one with this quirk. In doing a swap out due to a bad receiver, I've seen people with the plain 222 (silver case) get sent the same thing, a 222. I've seen folks with a 522 get sent a 522. Generally, it will send the exact same thing to the customer, with that exception when that receiver is temporarily (or permanently) out of stock, and it moves up within the same family.

Last edited:

I only did the upgrade once, from a 622 to a 722 some years ago and that did require intervention by a VP from Echostar in Atlanta. ( My friend) But that's another story as I discovered they were sending out 622's to replace problem 622's with an unknown flaw. Back then I requested a 722 after 6 bad 622's within a 3 week period and was given the story as Some Dish guy stated. They can't do that. So I contacted my friend and he took care of the 722 upgrade. Later I had a similar problem with my second 622 and when I called the CSR accepted my request for a 722K this time and that was what I got. At that time I think the 722K was out for about 5 months. Now 3 years alter and the Hard drives fail within a month of each other so I call and get the 722 replaced with a 722 and then call and get the 722k replaced with a 722k all for the asking. Maybe when you ask to upgrade the CSR will give you a hard time but if replacing a bad DVR, it has never been an issue. Only an issue it seems for one person here.
So when a replacement is selected, the agents do not select the model type at all, it is done automatically to swap same-for-same. That is also subject to the whims of supply, as I have heard of people with a plain 722 getting a 722K as a replacement receiver. Again, based on available supply. The software will not swap out for a lesser receiver, but it may, if there aren't exact models in stock, move up. The CSR will not see that when doing the RA swap. Now, mind you, if the agent were to look at the account some time later (the exact amount of time, I do not know), they can see what receiver was sent out.

:facepalm

So we see my CSR did not lie to anyone. Her timing to get the R# of the 722k was less than a minute. Now we know the secret. Crickee was doing an upgrade within a family, same as I did some years ago when I wanted to go from 622 to a 722 and then a 622 to a 722k. That type of upgrade must be beyond the paygrade of the CSR since both of us had to resort to an executive order to get customer satisfaction. Upgrade from say 722k to a Hopper can be done by the CSR level software ( DIU). My recent experience was an RA so I got same for same replacement. I apologize for confusing Some DishGuy here because I didn't differentiate between "RA" and "DIU" I'm not good at speaking the language of the CSR. I'm just a customer. I guess I got lucky that I got a CSR who understood the difference. Thank you, SomeDishGuy for finally relating the complete picture. We all have a better understanding now.

An important point to make is, outside of this forum, 90% of Dish's customers could care less or even know the difference between a 622, 722, and 722k. They just want to be able to watch TV and if they had a DVR, get a DVR as a replacement.

An important point to make is, outside of this forum, 90% of Dish's customers could care less or even know the difference between a 622, 722, and 722k. They just want to be able to watch TV and if they had a DVR, get a DVR as a replacement.

That is very true and one of the reasons Dish doesn't specify the exact model.

If I had a 722 using the OTA port, I would be highly pissed if Dish sent me a 722k without an OTA module and when I called, they required a $50 fee for an OTA module.

If I had a 722 using the OTA port, I would be highly pissed if Dish sent me a 722k without an OTA module and when I called, they required a $50 fee for an OTA module.

Yep, that right there would be the crux of my problem. Which is exactly why the sub needs a choice when replacing or upgrading within the family.

Is there a difference between a replacement and a new order?

Pre-Hopper, I had a tech assure me I would get a replacement 722K when one died. Used my Dad's experience as an example of that not happening, and he admitted on a service call (which was the case) it could vary based on what the truck's stock was, but was positive I would get a like for like replacement when shipped directly. This would make sense on a replacement exactly because of the OTA and Sling adapter issues, less problematic on a new or additional order.

I think it's strange that someone can have such a difficult time requesting exactly what type of equipment they want. As a person that works directly for a retailer, I can go pick up whatever model receiver the customer requests whether it be a new install or upgrade and have it to them the same day.

Ok so dish's system won't allow specific receivers in the same family to be singled out on an order. At least on the csr level anyhow. I get that part, but accounts can be notated with a customers request. If a request cannot be filled by the installer or warehouse a simple courtesy call goes a long ways.

Ok so dish's system won't allow specific receivers in the same family to be singled out on an order. At least on the csr level anyhow. I get that part, but accounts can be notated with a customers request. If a request cannot be filled by the installer or warehouse a simple courtesy call goes a long ways.

This is what I was thinking. No one can specifically select a receiver on the computer system but a note could be placed on the account that a certain model was requested. Now if you go to a retailer they are not able to put an exact model in the order on the computer but the retailer can take whatever model of receiver the customer wants out of their inventory.

If a customer does not know specific models of receivers and a retailer wanted to get rid of old stock they could grab any one they wanted to as long as it is in that family. I believe Dish makes it this way so it can be easier to go through inventory.

I believe the Sling Adapter does not work with the ViP622. Therefore providing a ViP622 as if it were equal to the ViP722 series is ridiculous.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Ah, now your ingesting logic into the equation. Like, why did they replace the 722 with the 722K? Sorry, that's just something I've always wondered.

Ah, now your ingesting logic into the equation. Like, why did they replace the 722 with the 722K? Sorry, that's just something I've always wondered.

Cheaper production costs for components allows for internal improvements. Taking out the OTA tuner made for another cost reduction.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts