OTHER Wanting to get in ku band satellite

CodyS

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2018
Tuttle
Wanting to get into ku band satellite. Just dont know what to really get. Where do you start at with dish and receiver setup.
Thanks
Cody

Reactions: spongella
Wanting to get into ku band satellite. Just dont know what to really get. Where do you start at with dish and receiver setup.
Thanks
Cody
Welcome to Satellite Guys! These are good for starting out in fta. :)

36 Inch 90 cm Free To Air FTA Satellite Dish & HD LNBF | eBay

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Thanks
Cody
Where do you live, I have new free KU dishes you can pick up, no shipping boxes, or the want to ship them?
BIG DISHES .jpg

Welcome CodyS. You'll need a 30 inch satellite dish for FTA, 36 inches would be better, LNB (Low Noise Block Amplifier), RG/6 coaxial cable, a suitable mount for the dish (check posts on this site about mounts), an STB (Set Top Box, a.k.a satellite receiver), TV set (of course), a compass, satellite finder, and basic hand tools. Oh, and patience when setting the whole business up. Start with a stationary dish setup, that is, one where the dish is fixed in one position. Later you can add a motor to move the dish to different satellites.

I would start by looking at YouTube videos on setting up an FTA satellite dish first. Stick with reputable FTA satellite dealers such as Titanium, Mike's site and hypermegasat.com. Some places offer package deals that include dish, LNB, STB and sometimes coax. Don't hesitate to ask for help. Good luck and hope to hear of your progress.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Hi CodyS! I started with the Manhattan rc 1979 a few years ago. Then prurchased the Edison Os Mio 4k. Glad i did. No problems with this at all and 4k reception is able to play on 1080 tv's. So when i get a 4k tv it will be ready. Titanium Satellite - Sales / Design / Development / Distribution /Customer Support They are in California and the support is direct from the owner. Very nice to have that help.

Reactions: Titanium and KE4EST
on the hypermegasat has a package deal for 249 that looks to come with all i need to get started or is this not a good deal. couldnt find a mikes site so have not comparison to go off of. Also what satellite is most commonly used when setting up a stationary satellite

It is up to you. If you want to start with the manhattan package. It is a good starter. But you will want to upgrade. So up to you. The dish in the package is good quality too. So that will always be good.

THis is the deal off of hypermegasat for $249 comes with a free installation kit

GEOSATpro HDVR3500 HD DVB-S2 FTA + IPTV Receiver with HDMI Out, Blind Scan, AC3 Audio and 64GB Internal Memory for DVR. GEOSATpro 36" Offset Ku Dish. Geosat SL1 PLL Standard Single Ku LNBF!!

THis is the deal off of hypermegasat for $249 comes with a free installation kit

GEOSATpro HDVR3500 HD DVB-S2 FTA + IPTV Receiver with HDMI Out, Blind Scan, AC3 Audio and 64GB Internal Memory for DVR. GEOSATpro 36" Offset Ku Dish. Geosat SL1 PLL Standard Single Ku LNBF!!

i can't comment much on the GeoSatPro HDVR3500 receiver in terms of quality as I don't own one, but it's been around for a few years, and does not do h.265 (HEVC) nor does it do 4k. So while I think it might be a decent receiver, it is a bit outdated in terms of capabilities.

If money is tight, you could consider getting a 36"dish for $109 and the Amiko mini H265 for $98. It can receive h.265 HEVC but not 4k.

If you have a bit of extra cash, the Edision OSMIO4K is well worth the extra $$. It is more complex to learn and use, but it can receive 4k (but for now that's mostly on C-Band), and it gives lots of detailed information (great for us enthusiasts). In contrast, the Amiko is simpler to use, but a bit shy on giving details. I own both the Amiko (previous model) and the Edision. I like them both.

I got into it and wish I had not,I have 4 boxes and will sell them all,it is a wast of time,its better to just pay.

To each their own. I love this hobby. If you went into it thinking you were going to get a bunch of pay-TV channels for free, then you probably didn't do your homework first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts