Wanting to install first OTA antenna

moreorles

Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
I am wanting to install my first OTA antenna. After doing a lot of research I decided just to ask you guys your opinion on what antenna I should get. I attached my signal chart from tvfool. Zip is 29649, Greenwood, SC. Thanks for the help! I no longer want to be a slave to my DirecTV bill! 4, 7, 13, 21 are the most important channels to me.

Attachments

• Radar-Digital2.png
    Radar-Digital2.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Best cost-effective solution in a combination antenna is the Winegard HD-7696P for channels 7-69. Mount it outside, as high up as you can.

You may benefit from adding an antenna pre-amplifier, particularly if you plan on feeding signals to more than one tuner. Use a low-gain model like the Winegard HDP-269. With that PBS station on 38.1 so close by, high-gain pre-amps may cause tuner overload that can result in DTV reception issues.

For an outlay of maybe $200, the antenna will pay for itself in about 3-4 months!

Go with the Winegard.
Ditto,

My next door neighbor has tried the Clearstream 1, 2, & 4 antennas. I then let him try my previous antenna (The Winegard HD-7210P Ghost Killer) It put all of the Clearstream antennas he has tried to shame on both VHF & UHF. None of the Clearstream antennas would pick up VHF-DT8, @ only 6 miles away. The Winegard 7210 has no problem with the low power channel 8 (only 198 watts)

I replaced my fringe Channel Master 3671 with a Clearstream 4 and got good results with all the HD stations out of LA which are 60 miles away. Got to admit that the old analog stations don't come in very good but the HD signals are much more stable plus I get more stations than before. The old CM measured 14ft by 9ft in size while the Clearstream is like 24in by 20 and appears to do a better job, so if you are concerned about size give the the C4 a good look.

I replaced my fringe Channel Master 3671 with a Clearstream 4 and got good results with all the HD stations out of LA which are 60 miles away. ...

Here we go again: Sure it works well, but that's not likely to last forever. For now, all of LA's DTV broadcasts are in the UHF band. On Feb. 18, DTV channels 7, 9, 11 and 13 migrate back to their VHF-high assignments. Capable as it might be for UHF, the C4 is not a VHF-high antenna, despite vague advertising claims to the contrary. You said it yourself: "Got to admit that the old analog stations don't come in very good." Those four channels are probably among the analog stations, aren't they? If so, that's a hint that you're very likely to be looking for a VHF-high-capable rig in late February.

My antenna-selection advice was based on the OP's stated desire to pull in a channel 7 station from 90 miles out. The C4 ain't gonna do that. I won't bad-mouth its performance -- lots of people have reported having good luck with them -- but I will take issue with its cost. For about the same price, one can buy a 91-XG. It's made by the same company and it absolutely smokes the C4.

Here we go again: Sure it works well, but that's not likely to last forever. For now, all of LA's DTV broadcasts are in the UHF band. On Feb. 18, DTV channels 7, 9, 11 and 13 migrate back to their VHF-high assignments. Capable as it might be for UHF, the C4 is not a VHF-high antenna, despite vague advertising claims to the contrary. You said it yourself: "Got to admit that the old analog stations don't come in very good." Those four channels are probably among the analog stations, aren't they? If so, that's a hint that you're very likely to be looking for a VHF-high-capable rig in late February.

My antenna-selection advice was based on the OP's stated desire to pull in a channel 7 station from 90 miles out. The C4 ain't gonna do that. I won't bad-mouth its performance -- lots of people have reported having good luck with them -- but I will take issue with its cost. For about the same price, one can buy a 91-XG. It's made by the same company and it absolutely smokes the C4.

You know I was hesitant to post my opinion but decided to do it anyway. Yes, I did trust the maker when they said it was a full range upper VHF and UFH antenna. The changeover in February will tell the story, but I still think the antenna is a good change for me. I didn't notice the 90 mile requirement and that is outside the 65 mile range for the C4 - too bad I can't get my old CM 3671 to someone that can use it. It's just sitting on my patio roof and I almost took my pruning shears too it a couple of days ago so I can recycle the aluminum.

... too bad I can't get my old CM 3671 to someone that can use it. It's just sitting on my patio roof and I almost took my pruning shears too it a couple of days ago so I can recycle the aluminum.

www.losangeles.craigslist.org. Worth a shot if it's in decent shape; easier than shearing it apart and hauling off the scrap. Someone closer to Mt. Wilson may be able to put it to good use.

www.losangeles.craigslist.org. Worth a shot if it's in decent shape; easier than shearing it apart and hauling off the scrap. Someone closer to Mt. Wilson may be able to put it to good use.

Did this a couple of weeks ago and got one semi-interested call but the size scared him off. Also tried the local green sheet with one flaky call and no results, so it still sits on my patio roof.

Next step is probably the "free" section of Craigs list, then if no results off to the scrap yard.

I appreciate all of the replies and advice. I am still weighing my options and will let you know what I go with.

It sucks for me here in Huntington, wv as we have one local station going back to High vhf channel 13 (actual channel). I put up a stacked array of UHF only antennas and now I have to get a UHF/VHF antenna. I have a radio shack vu-120 or something like that I have had new in the box for over 5 years.

I guess I will try that antenna first before buying one.
I am 25 miles away from the transmitters so it shouldn't be a problem.

I am splitting to four tv's.
and have a pre amp.

I guess the point here is you can't overbuy an antenna. More gain is generally better IMO with digital to cut out multipath (which is your enemy).

truckracer, if you have enough room on the mast, you may wish to try combining the UHF stack with the RS antenna, using the VU-120 as VHF-only. If your pre-amp is a CM 7777, you can use its separate inputs to do this; if it isn't, buy a UVSJ online to combine the signals, connecting the UVSJ output to your pre-amp's input. Here's why: All-channel RS antennas tend to work fairly well on VHF, but not so well on UHF. The UVSJ's VHF input can be used to block UHF signals coming in from the VU-120. VHF goes four feet or more below the UHF stack. Might be worth a shot if you're happy with your current UHF antennas.