Warm or cold Ketchup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirectDishNet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
Davenport Iowa
My wife and I started fighting tonight over stupid stuff again (God love her)
This fight was over Ketchup. I told her to put the ketchup in the fridge and she said that it's better to leave it out. Hmmm.... I have been married to her for 20+ years now and we just now going to change the way we store ketchup?

I say store it in the fridge, She said leave it out. Her reasoning was that at applebees or TGIF's they leave it out over night and it taste fine......

Pointed out to her that it says right on the bottle, "Keep refrigerated after opening"

Who wants to go to bat for me?

In the fridge or bacteria will form and you can get sick, or it will just spoil. That's why they say keep refrigerated.

Restaurants change out ketchup almost daily, so it's not sitting out long,

Are you guys running out of space in the fridge???

Ketchup will be just fine if you leave it out for a week or two. However, since most people don't plow through a bottle of ketchup every few days like the local TGIF it's a good idea to place it in the fridge.

Ketchup will be just fine if you leave it out for a week or two. However, since most people don't plow through a bottle of ketchup every few days like the local TGIF it's a good idea to place it in the fridge.

Sorry no it wont, its a food product with sugar in it and will spoil faster than that. Mustard is ok to leave out indefinitely as it is derived from a crushed seed unless you have certain specialty flavored mustards that may include sugar or animal fat in them.

Sorry no it wont, its a food product with sugar in it and will spoil faster than that. Mustard is ok to leave out indefinitely as it is derived from a crushed seed unless you have certain specialty flavored mustards that may include sugar or animal fat in them.

Well, actually a high concentration of sugar will kill bacteria. That's why syrup and honey can be left out. The problem is that catsup doesn't have enough sugar. The sugars will not only breed bacteria, but it will also start to ferment in a day or two. Achoholic catsup is not good eats.

Riffjim had it right. We are talking a couple of days until catsup starts turning and that doesn't apply to TGIF where they go through several bottles per day.

And just think when all the restaurants used those glass ketchup bottles. At the end of the night they would consolidate all the bottles. So basically some of the ketchup has been sitting out for quite a long time as most of the bottles are never consumed 100%.

Growing up, my Dad always said that Ketchup should be stored in the closet. His thinking was "why put cold Ketchup on hot food!" We always stored our Ketchup in the closet and we never got sick.

That said, when I got married my wife wasn't buying it and we have stored our Ketchup in the fridge almost since day one. :)

I have always left my ketchup out and have never gotten sick over it.

My wife has informed me that when she waitressed the last thing they did each day was refill the bottles on the tables. Left them there. Nobody died.

We keep ours in the fridge. We don't use it much.

Van, I understand what you're saying but there is a ton of preservatives and acids in ketchup...just as long as you keep the lid on tight it will be just fine left out on the table for a few weeks. Of course, as I mentioned it is not somehing I would recommend doing unless the individual uses a lot of ketchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.