Warming up to a player who used to play on a team you hated

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Sometimes,

players that play on our favorite teams used to play on teams we couldn't stand.

For instance, I wasn't the biggest fan of Chris Drury when he played for the Avalanche, but I was VERY happy when my Sabres got him. It was only for a few years, but they were very impressive for him.

A bigger example involves HD MM.

Let's recap:

HD hates the Ravens, for obvious reasons (The move and some of their troublesome players).

One player who he used to hate was Jamal Lewis, for his drug-dealing and how he fared against the Browns (his big game in 2003)

Now, I'm sure HD MM was a little skeptical with the idea of an old nemesis playing on his beloved Browns.

That probably was until he gashed the Bengals for 200+ yards in the 51-45 shootout.

That got me wondering:

How long does it take to warm up to the idea of a guy from a team you used to hate joining your team?

Do you ecer think, "so-and-so plays on my team now? Damn!"

I never warmed up to ex-Penguin Jaromir Jagr playing for the Washington Capitals, primarily because during the 2 1/2 years he played for the Capitals he was crying and wimping out about losing his girlfriend and losing a ton of money gambling, and he never played to his former level.

I never warmed up to ex-Penguin Jaromir Jagr playing for the Washington Capitals, primarily because during the 2 1/2 years he played for the Capitals he was crying and wimping out about losing his girlfriend and losing a ton of money gambling, and he never played to his former level.

How long you been a Caps fan?

When an ex-despised player joins a team I root for and dons the colors of my team for the first time, I turn the page and try to give them a fresh start.

As Sabres said, Jamal Lewis is one (Ex-Raven). Still don't agree with some of his past choices, but when he's between the hash-marks, I love having him on our team.

Another that comes to mind is Braylon Edwards. (Ex. Michigan Wolverine). Now that he's on our side, I absolutely love the guy!

As a Padres fan growing up, I hated Steve Garvey as a Dodger for years. Not as much as I hated Ron Cey or Davey Lopes, because Garvey had class and they didn't. Then Garvey came to San Diego as a free agent.

It took a little while for me to warm up to him, but in 1984 he singlehandedly kept the Padres from being swept by the Cubs in the best 3 of 5 playoff with a late inning home run off Rick Sutcliffe. The Pads went on to the World Series with the Tigers, which they lost 4-1. But Garvey became my favorite player, and went into the Hall of Fame as a Padre.

How long you been a Caps fan?

Although I was born and raised in south Buffalo, my job took me to Westchester County in 1969 where I had season tickets to the Rangers (Ratelle, Gilbert, Hadfield days), then to the Washington area in 1972, two years before Washington got an expansion team (with terrible expansion draft rules used only then for Washington and Kansas City which allowed existing teams to protect just about every breathing player on their NHL and top minor teams).

I immediately bought season tickets and suffered through that miserable 8 wins in 80 games 1974-75 season. I didn't renew, but did attend many games and became a full season ticket holder again when the Caps had Peter Bondra.

Seven years ago, I retired and moved a bit too far to attend games, but I'm still in the D.C. viewing area and still a Capitals' fan. So I've been a Caps fan from Day One and continuing.

I left the Buffalo area before the Sabres arrived, so my favorite Buffalo hockey player is Larry Wilson, longtime player for the AHL Buffalo Bisons, and father of Leafs' coach Ron Wilson.

[More than you asked, but I'm a hockey fan above all other sports, played in house leagues and Hockey North America from age 13 to 59, and like the Sabres' original logo.]

Last edited:
Took me a while to like Bob Hartley when he came to Atlanta to coach the Thrashers after the Avs. I have always hated the Avs because of the extreme rivalry between them and the Wings.

Chris Chelios ...
I hated (but still respected ) him as a Blackhawk and love him as a Wing !

It took a little while, but not long.

Jimbo

Last edited:

I warmed up to Jagr as a Rangers fan. I even warmed up to Pavel Bure who almost took the cup away in 94 and suddenly found himself on the rangers. I could never warm up to Lindros. Plus it was not hard to continue to despise him because he wasn't very good with the Rangers.

Football wise, Aaron Pierce was a nuisance with the Redskins but since he's been with the Giants he has continued to be a force and he has been a treat to watch. Plus football is easier to adjust because of the salary cap.

Roger Clemens with the Yankees was always very strange for me. I never quite could warm up to him until he pitched in the World Series. Just watching him pitch especially during the days the Yanks were dreadful built up a great hatred. Wade Boggs was the same but eventually I warmed up because of his consistent play and for having one of the greatest batting eyes in MLB history.

Chris Chelios ...
I hated (but still respected ) him as a Blackhawk and love him as a Wing !

It took a little while, but not long.

Jimbo

+1. That guy drove me nuts when he was a Blackhawk. the funny thing is that he once said he would never be a Red Wing. He hated the Wings with a passion. I guess money talks, BS walks. I wonder which team he will enter the hall as? Canadiens, Blackhawks, or Red Wings?

I never warmed up to having David Wells in a Red Sox uniform due to his past comments about Fenway Park.

Also Jeff Hackett having to wear his habs pads with the Bruins :eek:

Jury's out on Michael Ryder with the Bruins now. I didn't hate him as much as Kovalev, Ribeiro and all those divers

I did warm to coach Julien but used to hate him with a passion after his throat slashing gesture to Kyle McLaren during the 2002 playoffs

Regarding the Steve Garvey post, what did Cey or Lopes do to deserve being called classless? Unless fathering two children out of wedlock is the qualification for class. Also, Garvey is not in the National Baseball Hall of Fame.