Warner to deliver BD in a big way?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
From the IFA going on now in Europe:

Blu-ray Disc Association Adds Members, New Titles - 8/31/2007 6:03:00 AM - TWICE

Warner Home Video will launch as many titles in Blu-ray in the fourth quarter of this year as it has in the first three quarters, said Monica Juniel, Warner marketing VP.

Titles will include “Harry Potter” and “Oceans 11,” “Oceans 12” and “Oceans 13.” Juniel also noted that Warner continued to believe that its previously announced Total High Definition format was “still viable” but would not say when it would launch. “It’s still alive,” she asserted.

Seems that Warner is NOT going to be following Paramont and Dreamworks after all.:D

Last edited:
What, no comments about Warner's continued support for BluRay? I am disappointed.

I'll bite.

Wasn't Paramount advertising BoG up to the last day it was no more a member of the BD clique?
Wasn't Sony denying rumors of PS3 price drop until the day it happened?
Wasn't everybody including insiders claiming PiP in BD is highdef until it turned out to be a lie?

If this would be one of your revelations akin Beta vs. VHS, it would be entertaining.
And so, it's just another press release evrybody has seen before you posted... Yawn...

Diogen.

hmmm.....

You, Bill, and Josh were screaming Miscrosoft consiracy when Paramount jumped saying they were trying to doom HDM in favor of downloads. That didn't turn out correctly. Let's see, Sony announced they will be launching a music and video download site to rival Apple and X-Box live. Sony trying to doom HDM?

Titles with BD-Live? Nice, but utilize it on what? Daewoo is the only player to date announced that will be 2.0 compiant but no pricing or street date. Goes with your other post about IFA, but expect nothing from Warner in this regard.

How will Warner treat these new releases? Most of their announced catalog and a few Day/Date titles are on BD25, with DD audio. Even We are Marshall is BD25 with DD audio. Maybe they'll throw in a TruHD track with Harry Potter, Oceans 13. We'll see. Expect no advanced features. Maybe the HDDVD version will have an interactive option to go to Hogwarts or something.

S~

Oh, and here are some BR "exclusives" you can get on HD DVD. Still laughing at that no region coding?

An Evaluation of Studios and Titles — Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News

TitleStudioRelease dateUnderworld: Evolution Sony Pictures20-Jun-06xXx Sony Pictures20-Jun-06Basic Instinct: Director's Cut Lionsgate Films29-May-07Rambo: First Blood Lionsgate Films6-Feb-07Terminator 2: Judgment Day Lionsgate Films27-Jun-06Total RecallLionsgate FilmsAug 29, 2006The Brothers Grimm Disney / Buena Vista17-Oct-06The Prestige Disney / Buena Vista20-Feb-07Reign of Fire Disney / Buena Vista13-Feb-07Fantastic Four 20th Century Fox14-Nov-06

What, no comments about Warner's continued support for BluRay? I am disappointed.

Joe - With the sentiment in the War Zone lately, isn't that kind of like tapping a "Kick Me" sign on your back? :p

I'm happy for the folks that like those Harry Potter movies, but I made the mistake of buying the U.K. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire HD DVD and it was better at putting me to sleep than a Thanksgiving dinner. I finally gave up after 3 tries and put it to rest on eBay. I might pick up Ocean's 13 on HD DVD.

But, I did order Remember the Titans Blu-ray this week. I love this movie and it looks & sounds terrific. :)

Joe - With the sentiment in the War Zone lately, isn't that kind of like tapping a "Kick Me" sign on your back? :p

I'm happy for the folks that like those Harry Potter movies, but I made the mistake of buying the U.K. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire HD DVD and it was better at putting me to sleep than a Thanksgiving dinner. I finally gave up after 3 tries and put it to rest on eBay. I might pick up Ocean's 13 on HD DVD.

But, I did order Remember the Titans Blu-ray this week. I love this movie and it looks & sounds terrific. :)

Is that "Kick Me" sign still back there!!:eek:

Not every title is for everyone -- except when my girls come home for XMAS (they are 30 and 33) they will want to watch those Potter movies in HD. They take over my home theater and just keep telling me what to put in next.:D

Warner Brothers

Several news stories indicated that WB might join paramount in going HD DVD exclusive. It was even part of the topic in another thread. But I have not seen an announcement one way or another. Did it happen or is there any informed speculation on the matter.

Several news stories indicated that WB might join paramount in going HD DVD exclusive. It was even part of the topic in another thread. But I have not seen an announcement one way or another. Did it happen or is there any informed speculation on the matter.
I would be very interested to see that story.

I don't think it's going to happen. But, I would be very happy if it did! :D

Imagine Bill Hunt's (thedigitalbits.com) reaction! I think he would have a heart attack!

This was answered in another thread and it already seems to be gravitating in another direction so if the mods want to merge them or Close this one that makes sense to me.

Warner announced all the Harry Potter films today for release in December, on both HD DVD & Blu-ray. So I don't see them going exclusive until next year, if they are thinking of doing so. That would P.O. too many customers to promise them their beloved Harry Potter on blur-ay and then yank it from them.

Last edited:

Could you point me to any of those stories?

I've done some googling, and all I see is pure speculation along the lines of "what if."

Could you point me to any of those stories?

I've done some googling, and all I see is pure speculation along the lines of "what if."

AFAIK, no legitimate news organization or trade publication has reported anything other than Warner reaffirming their neutrality.

Thank you. I'll probably spend some money this weekend on a PS3 now.

OK. Did I nail it or what?

"As the studio has done with several recent high-profile titles, however, the Blu-ray and the HD DVD editions will not be created equal.

Not unlike the recently-released '300' and 'Blood Diamond,' the HD DVD edition of 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix' will contain a trio of exclusive bonus features, including a "In-Movie Experience" video commentary featuring "the cast from Dumbledore's Army coming together to share memorable moments," the ability to "Pick Your Favorite Scenes" and assemble your favorite clips from the movie into a montage, and additional web-enabled content including downloads and other goodies to be announced."

'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix' Gets Blu-ray, HD DVD Date; 'Years 1-5' Also Due | High-Def Digest

S~

AACS Security Updates

New Line to do HD-DVD also, but with delayed release

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts