Warner: "We can definitely Talk Blu-ray..We Are Committed to the format"

You all are forgetting that Warner holds patents for HDDVD. So I think they have more interest in HDDVD's success.

Let me re-write this sentence with another true sentence.

You all are forgetting that Warner holds patents for Blu-ray, so I think they have more interest in Blu-ray's success.

Since they own patents on both technologies, they win out either way.

No, they said they would be watching Q4 software sales. Who cares if players are being sold if it's not driving sales of the software? Warner makes no money off of the players. They want the format that will sell them the most movies.

Forget about player prices... whichever format can offer a consistent near or below $20 price for their movies first will have a huge leg up in this one. I have one DVD player and 250 movies. Paying $100 more for a player would pale in comparison to paying $10 more per movie.

THANK YOU......THIS WAR WILL BE WON BY CONTENT!

NOT PLAYER PRICES!

J6P is at Walley World, he see this great HD-DVD player for $180.00. he see 20 different HD-DVD movies selling for $25-$30, or 1000 dvds selling for 9$-$15, he cant rent them at the local blockbusters. his cart is loaded with cheap clothes from China and Chinese toys that contain enough lead to block Superman's X-Ray vision. I just don't see the HD-DVD player going in the cart folks, maybe the $50.00 DVD player. But I think the only people who will be buying HD-DVD players from walley world are wannabe HI-Def early adapters who cant afford a blu-ray player after blowing the kids college fund on the 1080P LCD. Where as you have all the high end home theater installers who are installing very expensive theaters in homes with HD projection TVs and are equipping them with Blu-Ray players from pioneer because in that market you can get high prices and make good money, and those are the type of early adapters who are gonna be buying a lot of software. Now unfortunately I would be in the wannabe HI-Def early adapters category, but after looking at the tech and the industry support I decided that Blu-Ray would be the path I took, so I went with the PS3, which happens to be a great Blu-Ray player, and I have the added advantage of being able to rent discs from blockbusters since I cant go out and buy discs every week. Personally I think the problem with HD-DVD is it got too cheap to quick, now if HD-DVD discs where going for the same price as DVDs it would have won all ready. But that is just my opinion.

Last edited:
A lot of smurfs in denial here.

I'm not in denial, and I certainly wouldn't consider myself a smurf... I completely agree that these cheap players COULD turn the tide, I just don't think it's a guarantee that they WILL. More player sales hasn't equated to more software sales so far for HD-DVD...

I just mentioned this in another post, but I think these cheap players might actually be hurting software sales, because watching these movies at 1080i doesn't really show the difference between DVD's (especially if they're upconverted, which they would be on the HD player) as much as it needs to for folks to really start buying movies.

When I first got my PS3 I had a 1080i TV and I was not all that impressed with my first Blu-Ray - I didn't buy another one for quite a while. When I got my new set (1080p), I realized what I had been missing and every movie I've bought for myself since has been on BD.

I just mentioned this in another post, but I think these cheap players might actually be hurting software sales, because watching these movies at 1080i doesn't really show the difference between DVD's (especially if they're upconverted, which they would be on the HD player) as much as it needs to for folks to really start buying movies.

When I first got my PS3 I had a 1080i TV and I was not all that impressed with my first Blu-Ray - I didn't buy another one for quite a while. When I got my new set (1080p), I realized what I had been missing and every movie I've bought for myself since has been on BD.
You are really grasping here. With 1080i you can't tell the difference between HD DVD and DVD? Is that you Joe? That is one of your lamest statements ever. You are feeling theatented because of the super prices of HD DVD, I understand that, but to say there is no difference between DVD and HD DVD is showing you really know nothing about how 1080i and 1080p works.

So does you Samsumg DLP even accept a 1080p signal? You better check that out before more pie gets on your face.

You are really grasping here. With 1080i you can't tell the difference between HD DVD and DVD? Is that you Joe? That is one of your lamest statements ever. You are feeling theatented because of the super prices of HD DVD, I understand that, but to say there is no difference between DVD and HD DVD is showing you really know nothing about how 1080i and 1080p works.

So does you Samsumg DLP even accept a 1080p signal? You better check that out before more pie gets on your face.

I didn't say I couldn't tell a difference between DVD and 1080i HD-DVD. What I said was that the difference between upconvert DVD and 1080i (BD in my case) was not enough for me to justify spending the extra money for the movie. Now, that's not to say that part of that isn't the better quality of my new TV (and yes, I'm quite aware of the specs of my own TV, thanks).

Maybe you should read my post before you insult it. Not that it matters, you're obviously an HD fanboy of the highest order - at least I've listened to the arguments from your side - and even agreed with some of them.

I wasn't trying to pitch this as a fact or even a BD-biased opinion. I was just stating what my personal experience has been and how I thought others having similar experiences might impact the HD sales numbers.

Guys, I do not use pseudonym on this site. Okay, there is some guy out there using my name and likeness stating that I just might buy an A35.

Vurbano -- you are my son!!:shocked

Denial comes in all shades -- even red! There has yet to be a knockout punch by either format. Selling a product for $98 is a small start but I am willing to bet it was to sell off product that was not selling and that by Thanksgiving you will not see anymore A2s. Toshiba has to do something to get rid of their 2nd gen players before they bring out the 3rd gen players. Question is , who the heck is going to buy a HD-DVD player for even $300 when you can wait and buy one for $100?

Denial comes in all shades -- even red! There has yet to be a knockout punch by either format. Selling a product for $98 is a small start but I am willing to bet it was to sell off product that was not selling and that by Thanksgiving you will not see anymore A2s. Toshiba has to do something to get rid of their 2nd gen players before they bring out the 3rd gen players. Question is , who the heck is going to buy a HD-DVD player for even $300 when you can wait and buy one for $100?

You mean the 3rd gen player (HD-A3) Frys was selling for $99 while the A2 frenzy was going on?

OK, here's the definitive answer: player sales do lead to software sales! On Thursday I didn't have an HD-DVD player and obviously didn't have any movies. On Friday I bought an HD-DVD player and now I have one (count it - one!) HD-DVD movie...

That settles it for sure. Of course I am a little concerned that I went to Fry's and had a really hard time finding a movie I wanted to buy in the Red section, just to try out my player.... and they have a pretty big selection.

But I guess I'm covered either way now, so I'll just ride it out and see what happens. I haven't actually had time to watch the HD disc I bought yet, but we did watch a couple of DVD's on it with the kids over the weekend and the upconvert quality was on par with the PS3, so I'm happy with it to this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)