Warped dish 33 "

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Otter Lake

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
North of the 49th
Is there any way to check, short of taking dish down and putting on flat surface, to check and see if dish is warped? If I look side on at dish, it appears to be warped a small amount. If dish is warped, what effect if any does it have on trying to fine tune?

Stretch two (2) strings at 90° to each other from rim to rim. If they lightly touch each other at their intersection then you have a straight dish.

If they are not on the same plane then the dish is warped. I think they should be within 1/4 inch of each other.

Maybe someone here has tested to see how quickly the signal quality falls off with warpage.
Bob

Fine tuning

The string method is a great tool, I'll remember that next time I check a dish. I myself also tug a little (side to side & up/down) on the LNBF arm to see if I get any increase of gain which is usually a tad out of alignment. After setting up my brand new GEOSATpro 90cm round dish I flexed the LNBF arm and sure enough, I had to slightly bend it for perfect alignment.

One thing I learned; just because something is new, doesn't mean that it's perfect. I've seen too many products that are substandard these days.

So if you've never checked the arm, I suggest doing a little testing. Check everything I say, it makes for a perfect alignment.

Hope this helps from a novice McGuyver :)

Thanks guys for the replies. Soon as the rain lets up, will try the string test. Is there any way to check and see if the arm is pointing to the correct position, to the center of the dish?

Side to side placement is easy with a measuring tape, but the vertical adjustment can only be made if you get the correct measurement from the dish manufacturer or by trial and error.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)