Washinton DC locals channels 4 and 5

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hoos51

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Anybody else having issues with just these two channels? Right now you can't even watch Fox 5 it's breaking up so bad. Both HD and SD.

when you check it via OTA what do you see? have you called neighbors to see if they are seeing this as well?

DTV tells me now it's a station issue . Sometimes can take up to 2 weeks to fix, which I find hard to believe but who knows.

not too hard too believe seeing all the possible handoff / retransmission issues and/or parts that might be in play.

I have a question did directv stop opening up the dns channels when locals go down? I remember them doing this quite often in the past, but since I decided to get a direct sub again they haven't done it once when I have checked the channels.

I don't think it's a station issue, unless they mean in the way the station provides the signal to D*. Both 5 and all 3 subchannels of 4 are coming in fine on my Dish receiver.

Are you getting them fine now? Could have been a transitory problem.

OK, I agree with your post #4. Just wanted to definitively show that the actual stations are broadcasting just fine now (OTA also).

Still fragging but not as bad as today watching FB games. A horizontal glitch all the way across the center of screen. Today was unbelievable :)

I noticed a lot of pixelation with channel 9 during the Skins game.

Now on Channel 4 for the Lions/Saints game I am seeing a little every minute or so. To the point where sometimes the screen goes black. All signal levels look good.

Going to check out a few more channels to see if this is limited.

Redwings +1 as far as the screen going blank/black. All day today. I called DTV and made sure they have kept the ticket open and they have. Wasn't aware of channel 9, just 4 and 5. You might want to call that one in.

I'm trying to figure out why both 4 and 5 would be affected. Do they share an uplink to D*?

I'm also very surprised not many people are complaining about this. I'd figure with all the D* customers in our area, something more than a few posts on forums would be out there.

Well,not sure my customers would put up with this for 4-5 days ( which is the timeframe I've been affected ) and maybe it might take 2 weeks to correct.

Again, quite frankly I'm amazed. BTW, this is a repeatable issue with locals. At least the 4th time in five years with DC locals. Exactly the same characteristics.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, wouldn't be the first time. Lol. And when they do fix it, it goes Top Secret as far as what the fix was! :)

I don't know if this is just a coincidence or not, but the televisions at my Elks Lodge are experiencing the same type of problem and they are on Comcast.

Actually a positive post! It seems the DC channels 4 and 5 are actually having no issues tonight and seem to be fixed :)

It's unbelievable they take this long to fix.

Not really, it always depends on what the issue was exactly and they almost never say what it was unless you press; which doesn't help it get fixed any faster. When my local affiliate had similar issues a couple years ago it was deemed a "bad encoder" and it was 2 - 3 weeks in the fix stage because of needed replacement parts that was not on-shelf spare nor readily available.

Last edited:
LOL. I spoke to soon. Issue is still on 4 , 5 , wife is watching some Xmas special , she says it's terrible. You're right about the encoder part, I remember that and you know, this seems to be mirroring that! Some audio stuttering now, dang. The bowl games could be interesting.

Sorry , for the false update ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)