Wasps in my BUD ..the Saga continues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
Cleanup time and wasps again

Well, weather is nice so it was time to do a bit of cleanup on my vintage 8ft Winegard dish.

temps are about 80 in the days so I chose the evening (wasp safety 101) to cleanup, remove the little rust that had built up during the years and touchup paint those areas.

Upon approaching the feedhorn cover...there was that SOUND...the wasps were at it again inside the feedhorn cover! BUGGERS!

I was ready this time with that 20ft wasp spray...got them good but they were really pissed before running for it! There must be a way to keep them out...I just have to design some sort of mesh (maybe fiberglass to eliminate the gaps where they get in!

By the way...dish looks like new again and the rust was just on the surface of the metal, mostly around the buttonhook holder (obviously the aluminium dish itself can't rust.). God, these things were built to last...had mine for over 20 years and had moved it from my 1st house in Reno!:D

Jeff

Last edited:
I look forward to living in an area like you do, where it is dry, most of the time. Here in the rain capital of the universe, rust, mold and moss are the worst enemies.

Counting the days.....

Wet climates

Greg Mueller said:
I look forward to living in an area like you do, where it is dry, most of the time. Here in the rain capital of the universe, rust, mold and moss are the worst enemies.

Counting the days.....

Hello Greg...

I moved to Reno Nevada about 30 years ago.

My family is in Fla. I visited last month and the humidity was over 70% and it was "dry" by their standards!!!! Thought I was about to pass out! (ours is more like 10% in the summer.)

if you are headed this way...welcome to you and your Dish! Even my autos last forever with no rust! (I think the little rust on the dish was from my sprinkler system which just sprays the dish a little in the summer time!)

Had an 81 Porsche for 20 yrs and not a spot on it! Now have a mini cooper which came from Tenn. Had it inspected and luckily there was none on it either (it is a 2003)...should stay rust free now!! Problem is that it is so dry...as we age, our skin drys out...they sell moisterizing lotion by the ton!!!

regards
jeff

Greg Mueller said:

Counting the days.....

Western Washington may seem like its in a constant drizzle and a real pain in the rear for my primary hobby (astronomy & telescope building) but I guarentee the wasps are still a problem. My solution has been to keep a giant red ant pile in the back yard simply to keep the wasps down. The ants don't bother me but they sure help in cleaning out every other type of pest.

SD

tried a wasp trap but

sdoradus said:
Western Washington may seem like its in a constant drizzle and a real pain in the rear for my primary hobby (astronomy & telescope building) but I guarentee the wasps are still a problem. My solution has been to keep a giant red ant pile in the back yard simply to keep the wasps down. The ants don't bother me but they sure help in cleaning out every other type of pest.

SD

Tried a wasp trap...filled up within a week!!!! Ants here are another problem but they are not tall enough to get the wasps!! TG!!:D

We'll be passing through, but we're on our way to Pie Town, NM....maybe next year, maybe the next.

Just to be mean I've built Wasp traps. They are a piece of meat or whatever (I've used banana) suspended by a string over a bucket of soapy water. The wasps are greedy and try to take more than they can fly with and fall into the soap water and drown

greg....Now that is inventive!!!

Greg Mueller said:
We'll be passing through, but we're on our way to Pie Town, NM....maybe next year, maybe the next.

Just to be mean I've built Wasp traps. They are a piece of meat or whatever (I've used banana) suspended by a string over a bucket of soapy water. The wasps are greedy and try to take more than they can fly with and fall into the soap water and drown

Greg:
I love it and will be trying it soon...really soon like tomorrow!

A few years ago I left a hamburger next to the grill and got a 10 minute phone call....returned to grill my burger and it was gone!!!:mad:

getting the nest..voomvoom

voomvoom said:
Speaking of Wasp, I had an Uncle (RIP), who used to get the nest for the unhatched, to use as Fishbait.

Al

I would have to wear a bee keeper's suit or armor to get the nest from these guys....THEY GROW EM MEAN IN NEVADA!!!:D

couldn't resist...see pic attached

Greg Mueller said:

Counting the days.....

AND THIS PUPPY IS 20+ YRS OLD!!!!:)

Notice the nice big feedhorn cover for wasps to build in!

Attachments

• dish.JPG
    dish.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
gizzer777 said:
I would have to wear a bee keeper's suit or armor to get the nest from these guys....THEY GROW EM MEAN IN NEVADA!!!:D

Have a water hose in hand, if needed . Clear them out at first light . Cold is the key . When it is cold , they can barely move . But after it warms up , watch out .

Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Have a water hose in hand, if needed . Clear them out at first light . Cold is the key . When it is cold , they can barely move . But after it warms up , watch out .

Wyr

Thanks Wyr:

If you look at my previous post with the thumb of my BUD, there is a Juniper type tree in the rear right...there is also a nest SOMEWHERE in that tree! I covered it with wasp killer last night.

I still like greg's idea of drowning them...must be the sadist in me!!!:D

I did pretty much what you said last year when they built a nest in my mailbox.....got rid of the nest and within a day...a new nest was back...bigger than ever!!! Finally got them gone with that wasp killer you shoot. Got into my car. cracked open the window just enough to shoot the stuff and got em.....being summer it was warm and they came shooting out and tried to get at me inside the car!!! Then they died!:D As I said...these suckers are tuff

Since I put my BUD up I have sprayed the feed horn cover and feed horn once a month with a product called xclude. It is a time release pyrithrin encapsulated in polymars, in a dark area it takes about a month to break down. No problems at all with nasty critters, they touch the xclude and die :-D

Greg Mueller said:

If you want dry, NM is in the grip of a big time drought right now... even our local forest is closed... No wasps in my BUD but they are in my trees, gonna have to zap um before one of them gets me...

Thanks Drhydro!!

drhydro said:
Since I put my BUD up I have sprayed the feed horn cover and feed horn once a month with a product called xclude. It is a time release pyrithrin. I have something from Ortho with pyrithin in it....will try that as a prelude to the time release xclude!!! encapsulated in polymars, in a dark area it takes about a month to break down. No problems at all with nasty critters, they touch the xclude and die :-D

Will give that stuff a try...but I still like the idea of drowning them:devil:
One chased my dog yesterday....payback is a bitch!!!!

I have something from Ortho with pyrithin in it....will try that as a prelude to the time release xclude!!!

If I remember dfergie.....

dfergie said:
If you want dry, NM is in the grip of a big time drought right now... even our local forest is closed... No wasps in my BUD but they are in my trees, gonna have to zap um before one of them gets me...

Now if I remember correctly, your BUD is in a tree (or that tree is in your BUD)...:D

If you want dry, NM is in the grip of a big time drought right now... even our local forest is closed...

We're on the list to have our well drilled (it was supposed to take 6 weeks and that was 10 weeks ago)

I guess (just to be an optimist) if they drill it during a drought we'll always have water. But wells are deep in that area anyway. The seismologist says maybe 250' but for sure at 550'. Guess we'll plan for the worst and hope for the best.

gizzer777 said:
Will give that stuff a try...but I still like the idea of drowning them:devil:
One chased my dog yesterday....payback is a bitch!!!!

I have something from Ortho with pyrithin in it....will try that as a prelude to the time release xclude!!!
Drowning is nice, but i like the idea of chemical warfare ;-)

Greg...hope you hit it shallow or...

Greg Mueller said:
We're on the list to have our well drilled (it was supposed to take 6 weeks and that was 10 weeks ago)

I guess (just to be an optimist) if they drill it during a drought we'll always have water. But wells are deep in that area anyway. The seismologist says maybe 250' but for sure at 550'. Guess we'll plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Maybe like Jeb on the Beverly Hillbillies...YOU MIGHT HIT OIL:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)