Watch out for falling prices - Wal Mart closeout deals on 301s

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
Just a heads up for everyone...

Monday I was shopping at my local Wal Mart (Canyon Springs, Riverside CA) and could not believe the closeout deal I found. They were selling RCA branded Dish 301 systems, both 1 and 2 room versions, for $50!!! The standalone 301s were $45. I bought a 2 room system so I got two 301s for what amounted to $25 each!!! :D

Time to retire the 2700/2800 and the 3800/3900. :cool:

Keep an eye on your local Wal Mart, you may find a similar deal. When I got there there were six two room systems and one single room system on a rack by the register in the electronics department. I told the cashier that I could probably sell them on Ebay for twice the $50 they were asking and immediately someone else came over and picked one up. I went back yesterday and one two-room and one single-room system were left, as were two standalones. The clerk said that they started out with several more and that they had been "selling like hotcakes".

Isn't Wal-Mart going to quit carrying Dish Network, is that the reason for the closeout, or is it that they 311's are going to replace them?

My local walmart (and around here, that's all there is) has stopped carrying them for 3+ months now. Now there's a bunch of XM stuff there with Dish flyers.

Yes it does. You will still need an installation kit or something like that to put it in. You can also call Dish Network and have a professional installation done if you prefer. The number to call and schedule one is on the box.

bcshields said:
My local walmart (and around here, that's all there is) has stopped carrying them for 3+ months now. Now there's a bunch of XM stuff there with Dish flyers.

My local WalMart had stopped carrying them too although they still had the display up with some brochures in it. I am not sure where these came from. The cartons looked like they had been opened and resealed. The one I got had some damage on one side of the carton but everything inside was intact and in new condition. Heck, you can't beat the price even if they were a returned item!

ByrdWatcher said:
I have aep+superdish locals but nothing like having a backup. I like redundant systems.

The dish it comes with is a Dish500 model with a DishPro twin LNB. You would have to purchase the Superdish separately if you needed one, or they may have some kind of a deal for new subcribers. I already have a legacy Dish500 with an SW64 so I didn't need the extra dish either. It may come in handy when travelling though. We're looking at getting an RV so I will have to stick that dish in the garage for awhile. :)

I already have the americas everything package plus locals with the superdish. I would go into all I had to go through to get my superdish but that would take all day. After a so called Dish supervisor came and did the install I had a signal of about 62. After he left I did some minor adjustments and now I have a signal of about 72. I am worried about rain fade with such a low signal. Anyway I would like the extra recievers and the 500 dish from Wallmart just in case a storm takes out my superdish and or recievers. I would have a backup :) untill my system gets repaired or replaced. I live in Cola. S.C. I have got to go do some work everyone take care and have a great day.

I may be wrong here but my understanding is that with the Superdish the signal level on the FSS transponders (105 or 121 satellite) are not going to be as high as those from 119/110, nor will it be a problem. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you had rainfade on your core channels before you lost your locals even with the lower signal reading, mainly because the FSS LNB is in the prime focal point of the dish.

As W*M manager told me today - each store will establish own rules for sell out the Dish equipment. Some of them could have hundred boxes, some ( as the local ) a few.
Our store could give only 15% discount for open boxes.
New boxes still have regular price: RCA 301 receiever - $89; RCA 301 system - $129.

I stopped by two Walmarts (one in Dallas and one in Plano). They each had several 2 receiver systems, but they were scanning at $169. Bummer!

Keep checking StevenD. They will eventually clearance them out. I know our store almost always has something good on clearance. I bought a Gamecube for my kids for Christmas and our WalMart had lots of good games on clearance for $10.00 each.

Smith -

Our WalMart always had a higher regular price than what you are seeing. The standalones were $98.87 or something like that. As I recall they were about $10 more expensive than what Costco was selling them for when you could get them there. Costco didn't have any closeout deals; they just disappeared one day. I wonder what they did with them.

dlsnyder said:
Smith -

Our WalMart always had a higher regular price than what you are seeing. The standalones were $98.87 or something like that. As I recall they were about $10 more expensive than what Costco was selling them for when you could get them there. Costco didn't have any closeout deals; they just disappeared one day. I wonder what they did with them.

They sold 'em to WalMart???? :D

Check near end of month

I checked at one of my local Wallmarts here in Cola. S.C. and the store manager told me to check with him at the end of this month. This would be a great deal. I wounder though if and when these 301's would become obsolete. I hope no time soon because thats what I am running in three rooms with dvd recorders on two of them.

There may be a time when they would become obsolete if E* decides to go with 8psk modulation on all transponders. Currently only the HD units and maybe the 322, 522, and 111 support it. If that happens they will migrate everyone over in an orderly fashion by giving steep discounts on new or refurbished equipment that can handle it. For right now the 301 is a really nice receiver. Right off I noticed that it is way better than my old 3900. It is faster, has more memory, and has timers like a DVR that can control a VCR. The three day guide is really nice too! I was considering giving one of my new 301s to a family member who wants to start service with Dish but now I'm not so sure. Maybe she would be happy with a gently used 3900. ;)

You know now that you mention it ByrdWatcher the 301 would be a really nice match with one of those new standalone DVRs that has a built in DVD recorder. Record a program to the hard drive and if you want to archive it you can put it on a DVD. Sweet! :D

This time is far ahead - I can't imagine how 8 millions accounts i.e. 10+ millions regular receivers will be replaced. I don't take the words as real - you are too much speculating. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)