Watch PTAT in real time?

FloridaRick

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
NW Florida
Just to clarify how the Prime Time Any Time works before going for an upgrade to Hopper: If someone on either Hopper or Joey wants to watch primetime shows when they are being recorded, can it be watched from the DVR, or will it require the Hopper to use another tuner separate from the one PTAT is being recorded with? The question arises because I get the impression that PTAT, while using a single tuner, is a block download that has to be completed entirely before you can watch any of the primetime shows.

And a second question: Does PTAT had any way to cope with unscheduled delays, like from football? Recording the Good Wife was a problem this past season as games ran past their schedule. I missing the ending on couple of shows because of it, until I added extra time to the recording.

I haven't tried watching 2 different PTAT shows simultaneously on a Hopper and a Joey, but I do know that you can watch a PTAT show during PTAT on one device without using an extra tuner. I once tried doing a PIP during PTAT with 2 PTAT channels using the red button to select the channels, which effectively used the PTAT tuner to watch 2 shows simultaneously on 1 TV. It worked for a minute or so and then the box locked up, and I had to reset it.

If you view a show in the PTAT folder, say 60 Minutes 7-8 PM on Sunday, and you fall asleep (like I frequently do) you may be watching The Good Wife or The Mentalist when you wake up. Shows in that folder seem to be 1 long segment with markers at the start/stop points for individual shows. If you save the show to the MYy Recordings folder it saves only that show. If you look at disk space used for a PTAT show it shows as 0 until the PTAT period ends for that show.

PTAT doesn't, AFAIK, extend itself for unexpected delays, such as occurred Sunday night at the Superdome.

I haven't tried watching 2 different PTAT shows simultaneously on a Hopper and a Joey, but I do know that you can watch a PTAT show during PTAT on one device without using an extra tuner. I once tried doing a PIP during PTAT with 2 PTAT channels using the red button to select the channels, which effectively used the PTAT tuner to watch 2 shows simultaneously on 1 TV. It worked for a minute or so and then the box locked up, and I had to reset it.

If you view a show in the PTAT folder, say 60 Minutes 7-8 PM on Sunday, and you fall asleep (like I frequently do) you may be watching The Good Wife or The Mentalist when you wake up. Shows in that folder seem to be 1 long segment with markers at the start/stop points for individual shows. If you save the show to the MYy Recordings folder it saves only that show. If you look at disk space used for a PTAT show it shows as 0 until the PTAT period ends for that show.

PTAT doesn't, AFAIK, extend itself for unexpected delays, such as occurred Sunday night at the Superdome.

Tonight, with all 3 tuners recording during PTAT hours, I was able to watch 3 different PTAT shows simultaneously on a Hopper and 2 linked Joeys.

Interesting... I asked the first question because of the "when does PTAT show up in folder" questions and response suggested access to PTAT recordings appeared after the block recording was finished, like the next day, in some cases. And that suggested a bit of a limitation to the number of tuners available in a multiple TV household.

Another question: Any problem with time shifting during a PTAT recording? In other words, can you pause something you're watching in the PTAT block? I would expect not, but thought I would ask.

Another question: Any problem with time shifting during a PTAT recording? In other words, can you pause something you're watching in the PTAT block? I would expect not, but thought I would ask.

Of course you can. Why would you think otherwise. All DVR functions are available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)