watch recorded after terminating service?

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
I know I saw this discussed but can't find it now. Can someone tell me if I can watch stuff off my E* DVR after I've terminated my service? If so, how do you escape from teh "searching for satellites" stuff?

thanks

As I understand it, the DVR needs a constant connection to the satellite to function. If you cancel your service, your link is lost (turned off) and the DVR functions no longer work.

From the OP's vanity line, we're looking at a ViP612 and a ViP622.

Leaving aside that both likely need to be returned within 30 days to avoid a big bill, I think the answer lies in pressing the menu button when the searching signal is up.

Ok, thanks. Yeah I'm having D* instaled today and we didn't manage to watch everything on the E* DVRs. I did find an older post specifically about the 622 and it basically says to hit the DVR button twice and it will bring up the list of recorded shows.

Makes sense, actually that there has to be a way to do this as I'm pretty sure we've watched recorded shows during bad rainstorms or snowstorms when we lost satellite communication.

The key is to disconnect the 622 before terminating service for the easiest result. Then it will complain that it cannot see the satellites, and it will actually make the suggestion that you can still watch DVR content while the whole satellite dish issue is worked out.

When we got a new roof last year, they took the dish down. It was almost two weeks before it was set back up. We were able to watch everything recorded on the DVR. There was no way we could get a satellite signal because the coax had been disconnected from the dish.

The 211k and the other receivers DVR portions will stop working after awhile if the smart card is not getting an update from the datastream. This also goes for EHD's as well.

A word of warning if your going to quit service then come back... if you do this all the stuff on your EHD will not be readable when you start up your new account.

my 625s disconnected for at least 2 years still let recorded programs to be watchable.

when i cancelled my service my 722s still had 30 or so channels and record still worked. although i cut the main sat lines not long after so i dont know what if anything they would do today.

i have been too busy to strip all the sat stuff out, its a good winter project...

When I left dish for direct my 510 and my 625 played all the programs I had recorded with canceled service. Other receivers don't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)