Watching DVR'd shows on mutiple tv's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

curtishd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
This seems really simple to do, why doesn't directv make it so that say the hd dvr in the living room has a movie on it and you want to watch it on the receiver in the bedroom, the signal could be sent back out the coax to the actual dish and then back to the other receiver? With cable you can get phone, tv and internet on a singal coax all at the same time so it is possible to send lots of info at once and it seems like a software update could easily do this.

They do and it is the best MRV around. It is only in CE right now though.

Simply put, currently (with the download of the CE) you can view any recorded content from any DVR on most receivers through CAT5/6, and eventually you will only need the current COAX and SWM going from your dish to your receivers.

DBSTalk.Com

DodgerKing may be getting a little ahead of himself.

Multi-room viewing is currently in early testing between H(R)2x series boxes (this includes the R22). The material must be recorded on an HR2x and everything has to be set up just so networking-wise.

When MRV is finished, it should be just what you're looking for.

But the way it works now you must have internet (I know who doesn't have internet) BUT why not just send the signal back up the coax from receiver 1 then to the sat then to receive 2. Seems really simple to do right?

But the way it works now you must have internet (I know who doesn't have internet) BUT why not just send the signal back up the coax from receiver 1 then to the sat then to receive 2. Seems really simple to do right?

You DO NOT need internet for MRV to work, just an ethernet connection either via wired/wireless or powerline.

As for your question, Scott reported that it was demo'ed at a dealer conference recently using coax and a SWM but no details other then that were provided.

Do you connect each receiver via the ethernet to each other or to a network?

Do you connect each receiver via the ethernet to each other or to a network?
The easiest way is to connect it to something that provides DHCP services to assign IP addressing, like a cable/DSL router, that has a built in switch, which doesn't need to be connected to the internet. You can also directly connect them to each other with just a cat5 cable and assign static IP addresses in both DVR's and that also works, I've done both ways to connect to use MRV (the direct connection was just to see if my network was causing the occasional video/audio glicth).

rad,

Can you share more info on this? I just moved into a new house, and I am trying to figure out the best way to get the content on my HR21-200 in my basement up to the H21-200 in my upstairs family room. What you're talking about sounds like it could fit the bill, but I don't know how to go about it. I have an 802.11g wireless router up and running in my den, but do not currently have either HD receiver connected to it, and I do not have ethernet cables routed anywhere in the house.

I'd rather go the route you are talking about than trying to route a long HDMI cable from one to the next and playing games with my remotes to control it all.

I'd love to hear more details on how I might get this MRV solution up and running!

Thanks!
-Steve

Steve, since this is still in the Cutting Edge testing phase I'd recommend posting your question over there (or ask a mod to move it) for a more open discussion.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)