WE GOT SNOW!! On BUDs!! February 13, 2021!!

Up here we have seen the low temps last couple of weeks but have had very little snow this winter. Fields are bare, maybe 3-4" snow in all this winter and much of that melted in warmer weather in January.
Interesting that in this cold-dry snap here, temps north of Hudson's Bay have been often above 0C in places, right up to Alert. Cooled down to -20s last few days up there though.
I don't bother cleaning the snow off the prime focus dishes until it builds up a few inches. Think I cleaned them off once this winter just because I was checking them anyway. It's a good idea to clean them if the snow is wet and the forecast is for cold weather; that way it won't freeze into solid ice.. difficult to keep up though if it keeps snowing. :)
The snow mostly slides off the offset dishes. Definitely an advantage to that dish configuration.

Reactions: k.r.
it all depends on the temperature of the dish before it snows and the temperature of the snow as it's falling. If it's quite a bit below freezing, the snow will remain dry and fluffy and will be easily blown off the dish if there's some wind, or will mostly slide off. But if it's slightly above freezing point when it starts, and the temps drop, you got a messy sticky heavy snow...

If you want an analogy, pour powdered sugar on a dry dish and pour it off, the dish is still mostly clean. Now do the same with a wet dish. You got a messy dish covered in wet sugar.
Plus my dry snow was blowing in from the north. Dish faces south. Makes it hard for snow to stick to the front.

Reactions: Brct203
New snow finally disrupted a few signals on my 10ft. All clear for now.

Attachments

• 20210217_141250.jpg
    20210217_141250.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 124
  • 20210217_142612.jpg
    20210217_142612.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 20210217_141001.mp4
    15 MB
Reactions: k.r.
Captain Midnight,

WOW!!! Lots of snow down there in Arkansas, your home state.
GOOD SNOW!!! LOTS OF SNOW!!!
Even KIDS LOVE THEM!!! :)

But IF I were there with you, I probably wouldn't survive in your snow!!! :)

Right now, SNOW are GONE up here in Seattle!!! We're in the 40's but will be in the 30's during the night. NO SNOW is expected. Pretty much on the mountains. I'm on the lower level, 500 feet by the Puget Sound. That's what
SeaTac Airport says, which I'm by there. :)

We get snow frequently, the question is can you still watch TV. These two are still watching. ;)
It does take quite a bit of snow to wipe out a 12 foot C-band dish. Not much accumulated on my 1.2 meter offset for Ku so not a problem there.

WE GOT SNOW in SeaTac, WA.

February 13, 2021

8 inches of snow in photos.

Never snow this much in November and December.
Used to be, before. NOW it snows BIG in February
in the last 4 or 5 years!!!
Thought you would like to see photos of my BUDs got snow.
Nice. I can't get one. You got two!! I am jealous! Are those 8 footers...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)