We know Logo-Hd and BETJ-HD don't really exist...how about BET-HD?

M Sparks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Getting ready to move and checking out FIOS options. I noticed that they recently picked up the Viacom HD channels...MTV, VH1, CMT, Nick, & Comedy Central. No Logo or BETJ of course, but also no BET.

Has it ever been determined if BET-HD is for real? Every time I've ever looked in, it was stretched, but none of the other Viacom HD channels stretch anything. Seems odd that Verizon would have struck a deal for all but one channel. Or is BET not Viacom anymore, and I missed something.

They do carry THREE different BET channels in SD, so it's not like they don't have a relationship with them. On the other hand, the area I am looking at is the west Portland suburbs...a mostly white area. Maybe FIOS carries BET-HD in other areas.

I'm not sure what's HD on BETJ, I do know that College Hill and Sunday morning are broadcast in HD. I also saw the BET awards broadcast in HD.

Do you actually find anything compelling to watch on BET? ;) When I had it on cable in SD, we never watching that channel. But I am kinda biased since we don't a WET channel....but that wouldn't be PC. I'm all about being equal....

actually we dont..we just have some blow hard complaining

I'm not complaining. I'm stating what I believe to be a fact. Viacom has never announced the launch of BET-J HD or Logo-HD. Neither channel displays an HD logo. No one claims to carry them except DISH. I am not aware of the sat location of the HD feeds. I am not aware of anyone actually reporting seeing an HD program.

I've never seen anything HD on CMT either, but the feed exists. But there is no evidence that a BETJ-HD or Logo-HD feed exists. This has nothing to do with the amount of HD programming, it has to do with the CAPABILITY to broadcast HD programming at all. If you have any evidence, I'd be happy to hear it and reverse my comments, change the title, whatever.

No evidence? Any useful input? No? Moving on...

So, ANYWAY, my point was, is there really a BET-HD feed? I was under the impression that there was, but it seems odd that it would be left out of the FIOS deal.

Getting ready to move and checking out FIOS options. I noticed that they recently picked up the Viacom HD channels...MTV, VH1, CMT, Nick, & Comedy Central. No Logo or BETJ of course, but also no BET.

Has it ever been determined if BET-HD is for real? Every time I've ever looked in, it was stretched, but none of the other Viacom HD channels stretch anything. Seems odd that Verizon would have struck a deal for all but one channel. Or is BET not Viacom anymore, and I missed something.

They do carry THREE different BET channels in SD, so it's not like they don't have a relationship with them. On the other hand, the area I am looking at is the west Portland suburbs...a mostly white area. Maybe FIOS carries BET-HD in other areas.

BET HD stopped their stretch-o-vision awhile ago. Do you even have access to the channel? Why are you asking about FIOS offerings in a Dish forum?

AT&T U-verse has a lot Viacom SD channels. They even have some that actually play music like BET Gospel, MTV Jams and VH1 Soul.

Digi, WET=CMT, GAC, Spike, Speed, Wealth, most public access channels, etc.

I can handle that not all of the original programming on the Viacom channels is HD. What bothers me is that they still only show pan and scan movies.

I'm not sure what's HD on BETJ, I do know that College Hill and Sunday morning are broadcast in HD. I also saw the BET awards broadcast in HD.

That's all I was looking for, thanks.

Was that so hard, Juan?

BET HD stopped their stretch-o-vision awhile ago. Do you even have access to the channel? Why are you asking about FIOS offerings in a Dish forum?

Not really asking about FIOS. DISH is the only provider carrying "fake" Viacom HD channels, so I was just wondering if BET was one of them.

I guess I could have just looked...it's just every time I had looked in the past, it was stretched and I couldn't tell. I thought maybe someone who watched more often could answer it easier.

I just turned it on and even though it's 4:3, you can tell it's a real HD feed due to the bug position. That's all I wanted to know, sorry that bothered a few of you.

(BTW, if you compare BET-HD to BETJ-HD, it's obvious that BET is a real HD feed and BETJ is not, even though they are both showing 4:3.)

Heehee...if you google "BETJ-HD" as of right now, you only get 10 hits, and the first one is this thread. It simply doesn't exist yet.

I don't really care personally, especially now that the Platinum package is essentially dead, but it's certainly a questionable business practice. SD viewers with Gold package (as I was for years) expect that they will have access to any new SD channels that are added, but that's no longer the case. HD has essentially become a 4th tier. I'm surprised they didn't do the same thing with Fuel (who at least claims to have an HD feed, whether or not there is any HD programming.)

BTW...Fios does the same thing in a way...they have SD channels that can only be received with the "Extreme HD" package. But FIOS doesn't have 3 SD tiers...they have basic and "Extreme HD"...that's it. Also, they don't try to claim that the SD channels are actually HD.

EDIT- I can't find a Fuel-HD feed either...it only seems to exist on DirecTV, so maybe they're doing the same thing. But at least they aren't withholding the SD feed from SD customers.

Last edited:
BET HD East feed is on Galaxy 14 in H.264.

Thanks. Just looking at that one bird is interesting...there are also HD feeds for
AMC/IFC/WE/Fuse, and TCM/TruTV/HLN. Whether or not those channels actually broadcast any HD material is not material...the feed exists, and therefore so does the possibility of broadcasting HD in the future.

However, BET's transponder only lists an SD feed of BETJ. It could exist on another bird, but it's unlikely. This bird carries 6 different BET SD feeds and BET HD, but no sign of BETJ-HD.

On AMC11, there are HD feeds for MTV, VH1, Spike, Nick, CMT and Comedy Central. No Logo.

BET does have a precious few real HD programs here and there. And as mentioned earlier, they no longer do stretch-o-vision. But since I am not in the BET target audience and Rap music causes an involuntary response making me change the channel faster than you can say "Sugar Hill Gang", I can't give you too many details. :)

See ya
Tony

The BET Music Awards a few weeks ago was in HD. It was more of a Michael Jackson tribute than an actual award show.

AT&T U-verse has a lot Viacom SD channels. They even have some that actually play music like BET Gospel, MTV Jams and VH1 Soul.

Digi, WET=CMT, GAC, Spike, Speed, Wealth, most public access channels, etc.

I can handle that not all of the original programming on the Viacom channels is HD. What bothers me is that they still only show pan and scan movies.
So pro wrestling and UFC is for white people? :p

Directv also has BET in HD and have yet too see stretch o visio n on it but have seen very few HD

BET does have a precious few real HD programs here and there. And as mentioned earlier, they no longer do stretch-o-vision. But since I am not in the BET target audience and Rap music causes an involuntary response making me change the channel faster than you can say "Sugar Hill Gang", I can't give you too many details. :)

See ya
Tony

Heh...yeah, I'm not concerned with the content, I was just curious from a business standpoint, but we've established that its a real feed.

It looks like BET Networks is operated separately from MTV Networks, even though they are both Viacom. They feed on different birds, and apparently strike different deals with operators.

Directv also has BET in HD and have yet too see stretch o visio n on it but have seen very few HD

I wonder if the Stretch-o-vision was something DISH or BET was doing temporarily. It launched a day late from the rest of the Viacom channels, and it just looked awful compared to the rest of them. And it did NOT have a BET-HD logo at launch. As I recall, DirecTV did not launch it until later. Maybe they waiting for the actual HD feed to become available, while DISH faked it for a few weeks.

Looking at it now, it looks pretty good even though they are just showing a 4:3 upconvert. Can't tell if they have an HD logo...it just says "Tiny & Toya" in the corner of the screen all the time, whatever that means.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts