We want more HD channels!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Tele-TV said:
Hi Vinny,

Are you saying that I can't get/buy my dish through E* in order to get this deal? This deal SOUNDS like they they don't "offer" it to everyone/talk about this special. Thanks.
Correct....any of the leasing deals that they have are not an option for a sub that just wants the HD pack plus VOOM. I had the dish up already...all I did was by an 811 from ebay and install a sw-21 switch between my old VOOM dosh and the other dish I have pointing towards 110. I called Dish Net up and told them what I wanted and it was a go. This way I get to keep Directv as my main sub and instead of adding on Directv's HD pack for 10.99...I add the Dish Net HD pack for 20 bucks. 9 bucks a mth more but I get the same HD ch's Direct has to offer except I lose ESPN2HD and UniversalHD(which I never ever watch) and I gain the VOOM pack ( MonstersHD...my fav) and I get TNTHD back. It really isn't a bad deal...the only thing is you have to own your equipment.

I have a sister-in-law that lives in NYC. So, if I give her address as my new service address (keeping my billing address in Las Cruces the same) to DIRECTV, then I will receive the NYC HD network channels as my local channels? This will have no impact on my Satellite Antenna alignment? I am at the point now where I am willing to try anything!

It'll be interesting to see how E* plans to offer local HD.

That'll be some serious funny.

Patience with new technology is a virtue. Quit crying.

D* is poised to make every other multichannel provider look absolutely silly in the next two years.

BobnearLC said:
I have a sister-in-law that lives in NYC. So, if I give her address as my new service address (keeping my billing address in Las Cruces the same) to DIRECTV, then I will receive the NYC HD network channels as my local channels? This will have no impact on my Satellite Antenna alignment? I am at the point now where I am willing to try anything!
assumeing d* doesnt move them to "spot beams" in the future HD will work fine..but Im not sure you will recieve all the sd locals for NY

If they keep cramming HD channels you'll get your wish, but you won't get any quality, just more HDLite (if not worse). MPEG-4 AVC HP, or not.

HD's only possible saving grace is Blu-Ray pre-recorded media, and even that may have some issues, at least at first. One big one is how will they implement copy protection? You may not like what they have in store for you, unless this Sony rootkit fiasco slows down their master plans.

BobnearLC said:

BobnearLC,

I was looking into that as an option at one point because my grandfather lives in BFE (near alamosa Colo) and was going to say use him as a summer home type deal. They said that would work but i would be charge the full price for the extra reciever. Give it a shot, it may or may not work.

Lots of Luck!

Skyboss said:
It'll be interesting to see how E* plans to offer local HD.
That'll be some serious funny.
Patience with new technology is a virtue. Quit crying.
D* is poised to make every other multichannel provider look absolutely silly in the next two years.
OK....maybe you are right. But I'm tired of waiting ...plus I get my local HD ch's via OTA. I understand that not everyone can. I'm choosing Dish HD over Directv HD right now. And for 20 bucks a mth with no contract...its a decision that makes sense for me. The biggest decision I had to make is if I wanted to shell out the 200 bucks for the HD receiver.

vinnyv07 said:
OK....maybe you are right. But I'm tired of waiting ...plus I get my local HD ch's via OTA. I understand that not everyone can. I'm choosing Dish HD over Directv HD right now. And for 20 bucks a mth with no contract...its a decision that makes sense for me. The biggest decision I had to make is if I wanted to shell out the 200 bucks for the HD receiver.

I want to know where to get a DISH HD receiver for $200?

Everytime I check Ebay the 811's are going for well over $300 +shipping..

What am I missing here?

guffy1 said:
I want to know where to get a DISH HD receiver for $200?
Everytime I check Ebay the 811's are going for well over $300 +shipping..
What am I missing here?
I bought mine on ebay for $220....it wans't new in the box. The new ones were all over 300 bucks. But I bought mine for 220 just about a week and a half ago.
I just checked ebay and there are currently 2 811's for 200 bucks buy it now. But before anyone jumps at them ....MAKE SURE TO ASK FOR THE SERIAL NUMBER. After you get the serial number , you can call dish network and ask them to run the serial numbers to see if there is any cash owed on the receiver. You don't have to worry about an access card because the 811 has a built in card.

vinnyv07 said:
Correct....any of the leasing deals that they have are not an option for a sub that just wants the HD pack plus VOOM. I had the dish up already...all I did was by an 811 from ebay and install a sw-21 switch between my old VOOM dosh and the other dish I have pointing towards 110. I called Dish Net up and told them what I wanted and it was a go. This way I get to keep Directv as my main sub and instead of adding on Directv's HD pack for 10.99...I add the Dish Net HD pack for 20 bucks. 9 bucks a mth more but I get the same HD ch's Direct has to offer except I lose ESPN2HD and UniversalHD(which I never ever watch) and I gain the VOOM pack ( MonstersHD...my fav) and I get TNTHD back. It really isn't a bad deal...the only thing is you have to own your equipment.

Sorry Vinny. I forgot I posted this question. Thanks for your help.

I e-mailed them and they replied " We currantly don't have contract with TNT or Starz". If you offer starz SD channels, then why don't you get starz HD! Come on DirecTV!!!

Matt

I am thinking about switching to Dish again. They will announce 11 new HD channels soon (from Voom). The first 10 Voom channels were not the good ones but this time we are talking about prime movie chanels which is what I really care about.

If it wasn't for the TIVO....

slimoli said:
I am thinking about switching to Dish again. They will announce 11 new HD channels soon (from Voom). The first 10 Voom channels were not the good ones but this time we are talking about prime movie chanels which is what I really care about.

If it wasn't for the TIVO....

It's funny to me to hear the first 10 were not the good channels, when I saw Voom most of the channels Dish kept were the ones I would have liked the most. Just saying it's funny how everyone has different feeling about Vooms channels. I would not be surprised to see a lot of people willing to switch, with all 21 Voom channels (and weren't they also testing ESPN2HD) Dish will have by far the best HD lineup available (at this time) and if you can get HD Locals OTA it's really a great package. Also the 942 HDDVR seems to be pretty well liked.

As for me, I am with everyone else that has D*, we want more HD. The thing that stinks the most is it's not like there is not more HD available right now, just no space for it. I really hope that these 1st two mpeg 4 sats will give us the needed bandwidth to get some channels (besides locals) added ASAP especially with all the new HD channels launching in January.

Here is my Santa list:

-Directv buys TIVO
-CMAX,STARZ,TMC,FX,SPEED all in pure 1080I non-compressed HD
-Existing HD channels in HD and not "HD-Light"
-One new channel dedicated to world cinema in original version (HD, why not?)

Whattauguysthink?

Douche Notwork is a joke to me, fellow installers. DTV not that far behind them. People ask me, "which is better?" I reply, "They both suck, its only tv". Both have the same guessin' game goin' on for the retailers/installers. HD programming takes HD cameras, so, only time will tell on this issue (what format to use). Douche has TNT, the only difference in programming thru either system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)