weak signal on some channels, will an amplifier works?

happy hopping

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
North America
On some days, not often, at some channels such as transponder 8, I got weak signal strength around 13. Of course, at the same time, some other channels is sitting at signal strength of 28.

Usually, this is cause by fog or weather. But today, the weather is good, and yet I got weak signal on transponder 8. Can an amplifier fix this?

The satellite was re-tune a few months earlier by a professional who has the signal finder.

Today, I get 38. But that day, 1 of the channel was at 13. It's somewhat rare when this happens. So I'm hoping a booster can fix this some what rare problem.

The satellite was re-tune a few months earlier by a professional who has the signal finder.

Today, I get 38. But that day, 1 of the channel was at 13. It's somewhat rare when this happens. So I'm hoping a booster can fix this some what rare problem.

38 is still too low whatever sat you are talking about. Amp is a band-aid. Needs to be re-peaked.

I don't think an amplifier is a good idea. There is two way communation between the recievier and the multiswitch in the dish. An amplifier will probably screw that up.

It's strange. It's always chnl. 168, 122 that is giving me the problem. I think it's a bad firmware issue. Here's what I got:

At channel 168 for e.g.:

At the very bottom, the message shows:

Not Locked,

then it says

Locked Echo Star 119 West

At the top, it says

Transponder 19, Satellite 119

========================

then sometimes, it says at the very bottom:

Wrong Sat. Echo Star 119 West, Signal Strength 7

But at the top, it says

Transponder 16, Satellite 110

but sometimes, it says:

It's not locking, then it locked, then it says Wrong satellite

But whether it is locked, or not, I still get the mesg.:

the satellite signal has been lost, signal acquisition is in progress, please wait:

Channel: 168,, Satellite 119, Transponder 16

A friend of mine say it's possible (the top of) the tree outside is slightly blocking it. But if it's so, then I shouldn't get any signal during any part of the 24 hr. period, not just sometimes during the time period

At the very same time frame, other channels are fine

assuming it's the firmware, where do you flash the latest firmware?

It is not any firmware issue...that does not affect the signal strength.

Trees can cause erratic behavior with signal especially if the wind is blowing. It will cause the signal to get higher and lower then drop out briefly. Similar to what you are explaining.

I suggest (as the others have) you get a professional to come out a check your line of sight and re-aim the dish if necessary.

Proof that just because a tech just re-pointed the dish as a fix doesn't mean the tech re-pointed properly. This advice should have been, "get someone who knows how to peak a dish to re-peak it for you." :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts