Weather problems?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jonesdpd

Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
Northern California
Everyone here has been super helpful with my questions, so I guess I'll keep going.

I talked to some people at work who complained of frequent outages during rain and fog. Most of these people cancelled years ago and haven't returned.

The guy at the store told me that those problems were a thing of the past and that Direct TV has multiple satellites in the air now so that if you lose signal with one, you immediately jump to another and you never experience service outages.

It sounded good, but other people have me concerned.

I lose service during severe thunderstorms only ... (at this point i'm normally watching local channels to see why my dog is sitting in the bathtub shaking anyway .. so I can do this OTA)

My Directv signal is far more solid than my dish signal ever was .. and my total downtime with Directv TV is much less per year than for my cable internet connection.

My guess for last year would be that I lost signal for maybe 15 mins at a time on around 8-10 total occasions.

Maybe three hours downtime for the year.

My cable connection was down for almost two days solid at one point last year.
:)

I only lose signal in absolutely the worst conditions and around here that's a severe thunder and lightning storm and probably ought to shut everything down anyhow. Never, with any of the four different dish versions I've had here and in Virginia, have I lost signal because of fog. My total lose signal time is about the same as Jokeworm's. My old cable system was a heck of a lot worse than anything I've ever experienced in 10 years with DirecTV. Lost signal because of weather is fairly rare and is usually made an issue by the cable companies as part of their sales pitch.

Everyone here has been super helpful with my questions, so I guess I'll keep going.

I talked to some people at work who complained of frequent outages during rain and fog. Most of these people cancelled years ago and haven't returned.

The guy at the store told me that those problems were a thing of the past and that Direct TV has multiple satellites in the air now so that if you lose signal with one, you immediately jump to another and you never experience service outages.

I think you need to find another store you are being fed BS.
RAIN FADE is not a major problem but it does still occur when rain is heavy. But another satellite dosen't jump in when rain blocks out the signal from one. If you are subscribing to HD channels Directv does have 5 satellite locations that the signal could be broadcast from but they don't just change. If your watching HGTV it is probably being broadcast from the 101 satellite location if rain overpowers the signal from 101 you can't go to the 119 location and pickup HGTV you have to wait a few minutes for the rain intensity to decrease and the 101 signal to return.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)