Website Building Advice?

csschrot

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Lincoln Ne
Thank you for taking the time to read. I have built a personal website a few years back. I did it just so I could keep my email from changing when people got bought out. Always tried to stay with local companies.

Anyhow I used Frontpage during that time. Lately I haven't been updating the site and with my new desktop I thinking of updating my web building program as I go.

Do you have any suggestions for someone like me.

Thank you for your help and advice.

Shawn

Last edited:
Microsoft has done away with frontpage. They are using Expressionweb i think... Dreamweaver isnt a bad tool. I know you didnt really come to hear this, but i prefer coding it myself :)

Coding yourself? Is it that hard to learn? I guess I wouldn't be againstit I just don't know where to start learning something like that. That was my only reason for buying frontpage. I have little knowledge when it comes to coding.

Dreamweaver is a good program.. Another program that is nice if you code or use GUI is a program called "HomeSite" Of course I havent used it in years it was free back then though it still maybe..

I always goto download.com and search for programs when im in need. Has tons of free stuff just search for "Website builders" or something similar. Also depending on where you host the website some companies offer free website building software.

If you do decide to code it yourself, I would highly recommend Head First HTML. It start off by assuming you can barely use a text editor and, by the end of the book, you're making three-column websites with photos, tables, etc. and styling with CSS.

Dreamweaver is a good program.. Another program that is nice if you code or use GUI is a program called "HomeSite" Of course I havent used it in years it was free back then though it still maybe..

I always goto download.com and search for programs when im in need. Has tons of free stuff just search for "Website builders" or something similar. Also depending on where you host the website some companies offer free website building software.

Adobe bought out Homesite and it is now part of Dreamweaver. :(

I liked it too. I code in C# so that is what I use for my website. Heck you could use notepad if you really want to do it. There are lots of free IDE's out there to code HTML in.

I use Dreamweaver for work and Expression Web on my laptop (it was free from school)... I actually like the MS product (Expression) slightly more. It tends to freeze up on me a lot less when I'm creating larger pages (cgi or script related)

That said another good site for coding (and where I learned long ago) is HTML Goodies

Thanks guys for all the advice. I'm thinking since I built my site with FP that I may go with Expressions for now. But with all the HTML website also try to learn how to write code myself.

WE will be expecting out second child in Aug so that is the reason to start updating my site a little more. All of my family lives at least 4 hrs away so the website is a good way to keep them up to date. Hoping that with a purchase of a new HD camcorder that I will be able to put short video on the site also.

Thanks for all the help.

Shawn

Be aware that making a site look GOOD in multiple browsers is HARD.

I work for a company that has a web 2.0 app (https://blueprint.lombardi.com) that we make work on 3 browsers (IE6, IE7, FF3) and the devs go nuts getting the stuff to work in all 3.

It is nearly impossible to get it to work on all 3 of those because of MS changing crap all the time.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I'm thinking since I built my site with FP that I may go with Expressions for now. But with all the HTML website also try to learn how to write code myself.

WE will be expecting out second child in Aug so that is the reason to start updating my site a little more. All of my family lives at least 4 hrs away so the website is a good way to keep them up to date. Hoping that with a purchase of a new HD camcorder that I will be able to put short video on the site also.

Thanks for all the help.

Shawn

I know i'm going to catch crap from the Open source crowd with this suggestion but, another option is Visual Web Developer (Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition) this is great for doing dynamic sites, it uses ASP .NET but makes reading / writing to a database super easy.

It is nearly impossible to get it to work on all 3 of those because of MS changing crap all the time.

My devs would disagree. Good tooling helps. We use Google Web Toolkit for the client side stuff which helps a lot.

The site actually does VERY well on all 3.

My devs would disagree. Good tooling helps. We use Google Web Toolkit for the client side stuff which helps a lot.

The site actually does VERY well on all 3.

I will have to look into that Google Web Toolkit for here at work.

Web Site Development

For several years, I have used a suite of programs from Coffee Cup. They have a pretty good Html editor and a WYSWYG program plus a bunch of helper programs, some of which are Flash focused. I design non-profit web sites and this software was not very costly, but best of all once you buy a program you get "free" ugrades for life. In addition they have a very active forum with users from all over the world who can assist you developing your project. Some of these users are professional web designers and other are beginners. Their VP of development regularly participates in the forums. Lastly, if you want to check out their software they have free trials for most of the programs, fully functional but time limited. Just go to HTML Editor, Flash & Web Design Software | CoffeeCup Software to get more information. See you on the forums
cayucostom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)