weird 771A error on 1 out of 3 boxes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KraziJoe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I had 2 boxes, HR24-100 and H24 and both were working fine. I added a new box from D* a H21-200 and ever since the H24 always displays error 771A. I moved the box to a different location and the same error and also moved a working box to that location and it worked fine.

I unplugged all my boxes and wend and unplugged the PI. Waited 5 minutes, Plugged in the PI and wend and plugged in the H24 and only that one. Same error.

I called D* and they said I need a Deca to get it all working correctly. I asked that if it was needed then why was it not sent and why was I sent old equipment. He could not explain why.

Personally, I don't think this is true but it's what he said. Can anyone explain if this is true? Or was he just pulling stuff out of mid air.

Can you describe how the boxes are connected? I'm guessing you hooked something up incorrectly.

Um, Coax to box...Hdmi to TV...Just like they were before. The H24 had nothing changed. It did not even move. Just stopped working.
In the Cellar, I changed NOTHING. All 3 drops connect to the splitter, the splitter is connected to the line in from the dish then it goes to the PI.

Let me say again, All I did was connect the new box to the COAX out in the room and ran the set up. I did not move anything else.
Not sure how I could incorrectly hook up a coax from the wall to the box...

KraziJoe,
Since you are using a power inserter you obviously have a SWM setup. Do you have a B-Band converter in the line to the H21? It is required for that receiver on a SWM system. (Yes, I know your issue is with the H24, but not having the correct setup on the H21 could be causing the problem.) Second, are you sure that you have the line with the power inserter in the splitter port with the red insert? That is the only port that will get the right power to the LNB.

I agree that this does not sound like a deca issue.
Please let us know if this helps.
Bob

Um, Coax to box...Hdmi to TV...Just like they were before. The H24 had nothing changed. It did not even move. Just stopped working.
In the Cellar, I changed NOTHING. All 3 drops connect to the splitter, the splitter is connected to the line in from the dish then it goes to the PI.

Let me say again, All I did was connect the new box to the COAX out in the room and ran the set up. I did not move anything else.
Not sure how I could incorrectly hook up a coax from the wall to the box...

Um, a little less attitude might be nice. Can you tell us which splitter you are using and how it's hooked up? Like Bob mentioned, the power inserter has to be connected to the correct port.

KraziJoe,
Since you are using a power inserter you obviously have a SWM setup. Do you have a B-Band converter in the line to the H21? It is required for that receiver on a SWM system. (Yes, I know your issue is with the H24, but not having the correct setup on the H21 could be causing the problem.) Second, are you sure that you have the line with the power inserter in the splitter port with the red insert? That is the only port that will get the right power to the LNB.

I agree that this does not sound like a deca issue.
Please let us know if this helps.
Bob

yes it did Bob. I did not use it because at the Sat Setup screen is said to not plug in B Band converters. And yes the splitter is connected correctly. I will set up the B Band tonight when I get home and try that. nevermind, Just saw Raoul's post that the BBCs does not need to be used.

Did the H21 work correctly even though the H24 didn't? When you say you moved the boxes I assume you mean to a different port on the splitter, yes? If you remove the H21 does everything go back to normal. How about if you leave the H21 connected but remove the H24, what happens then?

Um, a little less attitude might be nice. Can you tell us which splitter you are using and how it's hooked up? Like Bob mentioned, the power inserter has to be connected to the correct port.

What I don't get is why the box does not work. The Splitter is correctly set up. Line in from dish, First line out goes to PI, 2-4 go to respective rooms. Could the signal be that weak? Bad PI? Bad splitter?
Would it make a difference if it was not set up correctly initially? Wouldn't the problem have arisen before now? If I move the boxes from one room to another, it's always the H24 that does not work.
If I don't connect anything but the h24 it does not work. same issue 771A and no sat signal.
I have even reset this box back, H24, to factory defaults. Same issue.

Did the H21 work correctly even though the H24 didn't? When you say you moved the boxes I assume you mean to a different port on the splitter, yes? If you remove the H21 does everything go back to normal. How about if you leave the H21 connected but remove the H24, what happens then?

Yes the H21 worked and is still working.

I moved the box from one outlet/room to another. I did noting at the splitter besides unplug the PI and make sure all connections were tight.

Last edited:
Are the cables from the splitter new? There could be an issue with them. As to the boxes, you are saying the H24 doesn't work at all now no matter where you hook it up? It sounds like there is a problem with that box.

Here is a pic of the splitter.

IMG_2596.jpg

the PI is connected to the out on the left like it should be.

It sounds like the H21 may have caused the problem, but you say the H24 doesn't work at all no matter where it's connected, yes? Who did the original install? Perhaps you should contact them.

It sounds like the H21 may have caused the problem, but you say the H24 doesn't work at all no matter where it's connected, yes? Who did the original install? Perhaps you should contact them.

A D* contractor. Dont even remember their name. Initial sign up went through Dish Store. Referral from here.

And yes the H24 works no where now

Just decided to get the service call. Now the H21 is showing stuff in slow motion, then it speeds up like I pressed FF and cannot get locals. Oay $120 for a receiver and get one that's old and messed up my service.
Oh, Here is the kicker...Just reset the H21 and now it's getting 771A error...I press the dash and it says SWiM is connected...Yeah, something not right here...Maybe bad Splitter. The D* CSR tried hard to say it is because I am missing a deca...

I would let Claude Greiner know. I'm sure he will take care of it.

Just decided to get the service call. Now the H21 is showing stuff in slow motion, then it speeds up like I pressed FF and cannot get locals. Oay $120 for a receiver and get one that's old and messed up my service.
Oh, Here is the kicker...Just reset the H21 and now it's getting 771A error...I press the dash and it says SWiM is connected...Yeah, something not right here...Maybe bad Splitter. The D* CSR tried hard to say it is because I am missing a deca...

The DECAs are for mrv setups. Do you have mrv?

The DECAs are for mrv setups. Do you have mrv?

Yes I have whole Home DVR. HR24 on Main TV. But I do not have any DECAs right now. This is why I am confused. If I DO need it to utilize this receiver, why was one not sent with it and also, Why wouldn't they just send ah H24...Though I know the reason for that...You get what you get and you will like it sort of deal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)