Weird happenings after thunderstorm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PaulieORF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Southington, CT
So we had a thunderstorm this afternoon. It was a pretty nasty one, got very dark out, and I lost my satellite signal as expected. So I turned off all my equipment as I always do during storms. The storm has since passed over an hour ago, and it's cleared up. Now I get zero signal from 101 and 110, and good signal on 119 on 3 out of 4 receivers. My 4th receiver (H20) gets zero signal on all satellites. I have a 6x8 multiswitch and have tried all sorts of things to fix this. I've reset all my receivers, bypassed the switch, etc. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened? Is my LNB unit now dead?

To protect receivers (and other equipment) against lightning, the only solution is to unplug the receivers from the power AND coax, turning them off offers _no_ protection at all against a lightning strike (direct or nearby), due to the possibility of arcing.

It sounds as if you may have damaged receivers (most likely) and/or LNBs, I'd include the switch in that list, but you said you bypassed it, however, that does not mean the switch is NOT damaged too.

If you have a friend that you can try one of your STBs out on their dish, try that, if it works, then you know it's likely tbe LNBs.

Last edited:
PaulieORF said:
Ugh, thanks. This officially sucks now.

No problem.

Do you have the protection plan?, and are any of the receivers leased?, if so, they (the leased STBs only) are covered without the plan.

Let us know how it goes. Best of luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)