Weirdest Feed Name You Remember?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
to bring up a semi old thread.

Was scanning C-Band for thelist update and there is a channel on 61W C-Band and its called

WooHoo

according to their website, its like surfing videos

to bring up a semi old thread.

Was scanning C-Band for thelist update and there is a channel on 61W C-Band and its called

WooHoo

according to their website, its like surfing videos

Funny! The other day I was blindscanning in 91W for some nighttime sports feeds and found 'WowWow PRI' ! WowWow or WooHoo, who names these feeds? Is it the guys in the truck when they start the uplink?
-cowpres-

Flying Cow was the best! For a while they had it up as a web address:
flyingcow.com
Interesting paint job on their uplink trucks! :)
-C.

I think these are the nicknames put into the encoders on the sat trucks by the operators. I might be wrong. They always seem to stay in a general area. I've seen both Swamp Boy 1 and Swamp Boy 2 on feeds.
:)
Swampboy is one of NBC's satellite trucks. What you are seeing is the "Service ID" for each encoder on the truck. If you're lucky enough to dial into my transmissions, you would see "CMG Path 1" and "CMG Path 2". Unless I change it for some reason specific to the job.

some I cant post here

swampboy is usually a funny one as is Cheesesteak

the ones I really think that are funny are ones that show as ____________ network but are a totally different feed.

Hypothetical example is a program for Fox Sports Net that logs as ESPN or it shows "CBS" and its a NBC owned cable network
Possibly because the encoders can save profiles (stored the entire encoding configuration). CBS uses a data rate of 5.5, as does ABC, and FOX. I use a saved config called CBS 5.5. Don't know why I just don't call it 5.5....Also, Cheesesteak is Videolink out of Philadelphia. It's a Sprinter DSNG truck.

I see "Luke Skywalker" today. I seem to recall some Star Wars ones before.
Possibly an encoder from PACSAT. All of their encoders are branded with Star Wars character names to keep track of equipment moving around in the field. They also name equipment after cartoon characters.

As a rule, most of the backhaul feeds you are viewing with strange service id's mean absolutely nothing to the "far side" i.e. ESPN, Fox, CBS, NBC, etc. Encoders are designed for dual purpose usage - in a truck and in a nice air conditioned dark room somewhere.

If anyone has questions about satellite trucks or uplinking, post a question or comment here and I'll try and answer it. I've been running a truck for nearly 15 years now, so I think I'm qualified to answer a question or two. My avatar picture is my truck.

If anyone has questions about satellite trucks or uplinking, post a question or comment here and I'll try and answer it. I've been running a truck for nearly 15 years now, so I think I'm qualified to answer a question or two. My avatar picture is my truck.
Any chance I can get a tour of your truck, I'm buying breakfest, lunch, dinner or what ever?
Mike Lib

Any chance I can get a tour of your truck, I'm buying breakfest, lunch, dinner or what ever?
Mike Lib

Sure, it depends on where you're at and where I'm at (usually on the West Coast in the Los Angeles area).

What I will do though, is shoot some pictures and post them shortly. This will give you an idea of whats inside.

Sure, it depends on where you're at and where I'm at (usually on the West Coast in the Los Angeles area).

What I will do though, is shoot some pictures and post them shortly. This will give you an idea of whats inside.
Thanks for the invite, it would be interesting, but, LA is a long way off, I'll have to settle for pictures.
Mike Lib

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)