Weired Issue.. Loss of signal at night.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nyprdr

Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
NY
I recently installed directv in bar. The dish is on the roof 45 floors up. There are 4 RG-11 lines coming down, auto gain amps every 200ft and the final amp has all green leds lit so there is enough dB. Then it goes into a tap then to a swm 16 then to 2 8 way splitters. Now every night (around 7-10pm) I'm getting a call from the bar telling me 6-8 tvs say searching for satellite. I thought maybe one of the splitters might me bad but if it's 8 tv's then that can't be it though the issue never comes up while I'm there during the day. I have 90 or more signal on every transponder. I've already changed the LNB so it's not that. I'm not fond of the RG-11 fittings I have since you can't see the dielectric. Could the fitting be an issue? The model is snap-n-seal 716sns1p11h. I plan on going there at night soon but I'd like an idea on what to look for before I do. In my 10 years as a tech I've never had an install give me such a headache. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

also a reset seems to solve the problem for a while. Could it be a switching issue with the swm-16?

I've heard of signal loss at different times of the day, but it's usually out during the day and comes back at night. I'd be suspicious of the lnb if you hadn't changed it, although it could still be the cause. If all of the tvs that go out are on the same splitter, then the next thing I would look at is the swm16. It could be the one fitting that feeds the splitter, again assuming the tvs with the problem are all connected to the same splitter.

I had this issue a while ago. It turned out to be the barrels where the RG6 came into the room were the wrong type and would actually over heat causing the signal to go away. Not sure if that is your problem but worth checking out.

I figured it out. All the boxes were h24-700's and those boxes have a glitch. I tried doing a software download and it stood on zero. After a while it would just try to load the guide data than it would give me a 771a error. I looked at the signal levels and everything was fine so that lead me to believe it was a communication error with the boxes and the swm16. The solution: use a regular lnb, download the software then hook it back up to swm. Problem solved. For this install this involved me going to the roof with an extension cord and a tv. Hope this helps some other techs.

I figured it out. All the boxes were h24-700's and those boxes have a glitch. I tried doing a software download and it stood on zero. After a while it would just try to load the guide data than it would give me a 771a error. I looked at the signal levels and everything was fine so that lead me to believe it was a communication error with the boxes and the swm16. The solution: use a regular lnb, download the software then hook it back up to swm. Problem solved. For this install this involved me going to the roof with an extension cord and a tv. Hope this helps some other techs.

? What kind of glitch? I have a H24-700 & I've never had a problem with it. Of course I don't have the extensive set up that you do.

What glitch is it? I haven't received a blast fact telling techs of any known issues regarding this receiver. Good to know you got it fixed but I think the H24 has been moved to the older models where downloads aren't available 24/7 anymore. Only about every 48-72 hours its available excluding CE releases

I had to order some new amps from Sonora yesterday for another job I'm doing and one of the technical support guys (Johnathan Smith. He's know his SH** and I rarely give anyone that credit when it comes to Directv) asked me how the job went and before I could finish he was like dude you should have called me, let me guess you have h24-700's connected to the swm16? and i was like yup then he emailed me the press release when Directv did a recall on those boxes but kept it quiet. His theory was that they could back charge techs when service calls came up instead of paying for the shipping cost of changing out all those boxes. Either way I deleted the article but I have to call him again on Wednesday so I'll ask him to send it again and post it here.

as for the "glitch", it was explained to me but I had bad cell service but it was somewhere along the lines of the h24's looking for a DVR and none being present.

I had to order some new amps from Sonora yesterday for another job I'm doing and one of the technical support guys (Johnathan Smith. He's know his SH** and I rarely give anyone that credit when it comes to Directv) asked me how the job went and before I could finish he was like dude you should have called me, let me guess you have h24-700's connected to the swm16? and i was like yup then he emailed me the press release when Directv did a recall on those boxes but kept it quiet. His theory was that they could back charge techs when service calls came up instead of paying for the shipping cost of changing out all those boxes. Either way I deleted the article but I have to call him again on Wednesday so I'll ask him to send it again and post it here.
It probably would be better to have H25's hooked up to your system than H24's,but I still haven't had any problems with my H24. But I don't have mine hooked up to a SWM 16,& I d/l the latest CE for it each Saturday.

also time of day was just a coincidence. probably cause i kept coming in the morning to try and fix it every day.

Would a Genie & clients,with enough HD receivers(like H25's)to fill in for the tv's over the limit of what the Genie/clients could cover,work for your situation?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts