Welcome Pack for New Customers

The Welcome Pack is in line with a typical lifeline/starter/? package from cablecos, which include your locals plus extra channels. It might not be worth $20/mo but it's effectively the going rate.

On top of the locals - which may be all that some people are looking for - it includes Food Network, HGTV, History, Hallmark, MSNBC, Oxygen, TBS, TLC, Weather Channel. The webpage for that package is seriously lacking. The majority of channel 'icons' are generic Dish logos that you have to randomly click to see what channel it is referring to. It does appear that 75% are "shopping" channels though !

Ok, so please show me an updated listing that really shows what channels Welcome Pack and Smart Pack provide for programming. I sure as heck can't find it, and I've been looking.

Lol, they actually list their satellite SLATE channels as a premium (click on the generic "Dish" logos. Thanks Hall for that tip) Who'd want to stare at a screen that tells you what satellite you are aimed at?
Thats funny!
I know when I am at the lake house and turn on Dish I laugh at the channel that says "congrats. You have a Dish500"

Lol, they actually list their satellite SLATE channels as a premium (click on the generic "Dish" logos. Thanks Hall for that tip) Who'd want to stare at a screen that tells you what satellite you are aimed at?
They list them, yes, but not sure where you get the "premium" part. I see at least (3) of them too !!

A number of the channels, after you click on them, simply say "Coming soon".

Is your internet via TWC? I am asking because they have a Starter TV package for $20/month which includes locals in HD.

Yeah, it is. The only reason I don't want to just do that is because I'm pretty sure that's just a promotional price for one year or so. Actual price in my area is $28, and that's a lot fewer channels. Only good thing about that would be no receiver rental fee (just a decrypter box) because you can hook up through coax. I think I could even just use my Rokus on the other TVs with the TWC app. But yeah, you're right about TWC. It's largely the reason why I cancelled cable.

$14 for a duo non dvr, $17 for a duo dvr. $7 for solo non DVR, $10 for a solo DVR. HD or SD receiver makes no difference. As always, first receiver is always "free".

Thanks, these kind of fees are exactly what I want to avoid. That was the whole point of cutting my TWC service. But I guess I can't avoid at least some receiver fees if I go with Dish as long as I want all my TVs on.

I had a technician out for some signal strength issues and he said that the HD channels on the Welcome Pack are going away January 1st.

I haven't heard about that and haven't received anything from Dish regarding it but who knows.

That would be unfortunate, but actually not a dealbreaker for me. I just bought an antenna per my other thread. If that doesn't work out then this is still probably my best option.

Dishes "Welcome pack" and "Smart pack" aren't worth the money. They are stuffed with free channels, and the few so-called "premiums", don't provide enough value to even cover the costs at $19.95 a month.

I know, but it's still the best deal out there for me. Not a whole lot of options where I am. Just TWC, Verizon, Direct TV, and Dish. From what I can tell, for just locals, the Welcome Pack is still the best deal outside of an antenna.

They list them, yes, but not sure where you get the "premium" part. I see at least (3) of them too !!

A number of the channels, after you click on them, simply say "Coming soon".

That fact that they even LIST them, is nothing but deception to inflate a perceived value for the supposed channel count they are providing for the money. I also noted some duplicates here and there, and that also reeks of deception. "55 channels!" yay, not.

Look, I WANT to stay with Dish. They just are getting harder and harder to justify with all the other choices out there. My costs with them have doubled the last few years, for less watchable channels, and I have always owned my equipment outright.

That fact that they even LIST them, is nothing but deception to inflate a perceived value for the supposed channel count they are providing for the money. I also noted some duplicates here and there, and that also reeks of deception. "55 channels!" yay, not.

Look, I WANT to stay with Dish. They just are getting harder and harder to justify with all the other choices out there. My costs with them have doubled the last few years, for less watchable channels, and I have always owned my equipment outright.
Nobody is twisting your arm to stay with DISH if you are as unhappy as you are indicating now may be a good time to try another provider. It might just make DISH look better or you might find happiness with someone else.

Reactions: SomeDishGuy
$14 for a duo non dvr, $17 for a duo dvr. $7 for solo non DVR, $10 for a solo DVR. HD or SD receiver makes no difference. As always, first receiver is always "free".

That's odd, as I OWN my VIP722k (I own all my equipment), and I still pay $7 a month for it... It's the only receiver I have hooked up, and it's only on a single tv set.

See, people here point that out, but I FAIL to understand what the difference is. A fee is a fee, and I OWN my receiver. Why should I pay anything extra just because my receiver happens to be capable of recording?

I originally signed up for Dish mostly for MonstersHD (Voom) and Charlie drove a stake through their heart just because he's a cheap you know what. We all know how that ended up. Dish did have cheaper packages that were worth having, but not any longer.
So, I listed the receiver costs. If you notice, in my original post, I even put it in quotations. Because additional fees may apply, depending on the individual customers setup. You can Own/Lease a 222 or 211, and there will be NO fee. You are not paying a receiver fee, you are paying to have the capability to pause, rewind, record, and VOD on the DVR receiver. The cost of wanting to have extras. This is already a fight I am having with my brother, who is bitching because internet is not free.
Charlie being cheap with VOOM makes no sense. If VOOM was worthy of sticking around, it would not have gone bankrupt because other companies would have picked it up and supported it. Unfortunately, other companies also said "This is not worth it, so we are not going to touch it either." Charlie atleast attempted to give them a chance, and they shot themselves in the foot. I understand there are some that say they loved it, and it may have had an audience, but guess what, so did Speed channel. Guess Fox was being cheap by evolving their programming lineup to attempt to reach a larger audience. That was strictly business(PS this is not meant to start a debate about the current Fox situation, if anyone wants to talk about that, copy this post, and put it in an appropriate thread, and I'll discuss it there). It is well known with DISH that there is no savings between purchased and leased equipment, unless you are turning it off for months throughout the year. Not sure how other companies are, and frankly I do not care, but you are not paying a LEASE fee. You are paying an ACTIVE reciever fee, based on the capabilities of your receiver. The welcome pack will continue to offer locals in HD(assuming you have the appropriate equipment), and any free previews in HD(assuming you have the correct equipment). They are included, and if you have something like HBO, it will also come in HD. There is not HD line item for the welcome pack, however, so your regular channels will not be broadcast in HD in that package.

So, I listed the receiver costs. If you notice, in my original post, I even put it in quotations. Because additional fees may apply, depending on the individual customers setup. You can Own/Lease a 222 or 211, and there will be NO fee. You are not paying a receiver fee, you are paying to have the capability to pause, rewind, record, and VOD on the DVR receiver. The cost of wanting to have extras. This is already a fight I am having with my brother, who is bitching because internet is not free.
Charlie being cheap with VOOM makes no sense. If VOOM was worthy of sticking around, it would not have gone bankrupt because other companies would have picked it up and supported it. Unfortunately, other companies also said "This is not worth it, so we are not going to touch it either." Charlie atleast attempted to give them a chance, and they shot themselves in the foot. I understand there are some that say they loved it, and it may have had an audience, but guess what, so did Speed channel. Guess Fox was being cheap by evolving their programming lineup to attempt to reach a larger audience. That was strictly business(PS this is not meant to start a debate about the current Fox situation, if anyone wants to talk about that, copy this post, and put it in an appropriate thread, and I'll discuss it there). It is well known with DISH that there is no savings between purchased and leased equipment, unless you are turning it off for months throughout the year. Not sure how other companies are, and frankly I do not care, but you are not paying a LEASE fee. You are paying an ACTIVE reciever fee, based on the capabilities of your receiver. The welcome pack will continue to offer locals in HD(assuming you have the appropriate equipment), and any free previews in HD(assuming you have the correct equipment). They are included, and if you have something like HBO, it will also come in HD. There is not HD line item for the welcome pack, however, so your regular channels will not be broadcast in HD in that package.

The nice thing about cable is when you own your equipment you don't have to pay monthly to use its features (like recording). I talked to Charter at my local office today. I could add their Select package(similar to AT 200) for $33 more than I pay for just Internet. That $33 includes all taxes and the $2 cable card fee. They wouldn't charge me to record with my own equipment after that $2 cable card fee.

For now I'm staying OTA only but I am considering this for baseball season instead of paying for MLB.tv again this year. The other nice thing is that there are no contracts so I can cancel when the season ends. I can continue to use the same equipment whether I have cable or OTA and I won't lose my cable recordings when I cancel.

Been thinking of getting a setup for Smart Pack. I plan on buying my equipment for no contract. I need an Eastern Arc dish for line of site even though I am in upper Wisconsin. When I activate can I just tell the CSR to set me up on EA, even their system says it's supposed to possibly be an WA area won't do it. Any insight from you guys.

Thanks

They cannot setup Arc specifics, it jsut goes to the tech as a new connect install. When the tech comes and installs(if thats how you are doing it), he will try WA, and if he cant then you can ask him for EA. If self install, it doesnt matter what you tell them you have, they just activate the account with your receiver numbers. CSR's have no idea what Arc you are ACTUALLY on unless you tell them, as it is irrelevant info to your account. The only relevance is in your locals...

Been thinking of getting a setup for Smart Pack. I plan on buying my equipment for no contract. I need an Eastern Arc dish for line of site even though I am in upper Wisconsin. When I activate can I just tell the CSR to set me up on EA, even their system says it's supposed to possibly be an WA area won't do it. Any insight from you guys.

Thanks

I don't know your area but keep in mind that your locals might not be on both arcs. If your locals are only on WA and you point to EA you won't get any locals. With the smaller packages like Welcome pack and Smart Pack the locals are a big percentage of what you are getting so it might not be a good idea.

See, people here point that out, but I FAIL to understand what the difference is. A fee is a fee, and I OWN my receiver. Why should I pay anything extra just because my receiver happens to be capable of recording?
Because there are some features that you can avail yourself to if you have a DVR that you can't access with a non-DVR.

You can also think of it as a subsidy to keep the purchase price affordable if you really feel the need to be incensed.

Reactions: ChadT41
Because there are some features that you can avail yourself to if you have a DVR that you can't access with a non-DVR.

You can also think of it as a subsidy to keep the purchase price affordable if you really feel the need to be incensed.

The only problem with that is you would also pay more to purchase something like a hopper than a 211. You already paid for those DVR features when you bought the DVR. I spent money up front but if I choose to go from OTA to cable I won't be charged for the right to record with my purchased equipment.

For some, that is an awesome option, I am not against it. I was just making sure the facts were there. I prefer everything I have with the Hopper, so I am not leaving anytime, but that is definitely not the case for all.

For some, that is an awesome option, I am not against it. I was just making sure the facts were there. I prefer everything I have with the Hopper, so I am not leaving anytime, but that is definitely not the case for all.

If Dish wants to be a low cost leader for you long time customers they should look into something like what TiVo does. Let people pay up front instead of equipment fees every month if they choose to. Some of you guys have been using the same old equipment forever and paying monthly fees on it.

I'm sure some of you long term guys would be willing to pay around $550 for a hoper and $150 for a Joey if that meant no more fees outside of your base package cost.

Reactions: ChadT41
Its all about how they want to run the business. Not a single company is going to be right for everyone. I agree, some customers would be happy with that, but would Dish? It works for Charter, would it work for Dish? I think once people find what interests them, and what they are willing to pay, that is who they should go with. There is no "Right or Wrong" provider, just different options for different people, in different areas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)