Welcome Pack - New Subscribers?

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
My mom is having problems with her DirecTV and I'm wondering if the Welcome Package is available to new subscribers and if she could get a VIP722K DVR receiver instead of a Hopper if I switch her service to Dish?

IF you purchase and OWN your satellite receiver , you can get the Welcome pack. I have two of my DISH accounts on Welcome pack for my aunt and one for just ota recordings ,since the hopper doesn't have ota yet. IF I were you and she is not interested in anything more than the Welcome pack , just buy a 211k and if she wants dvr functions , you can buy an external hard drive and pay DISH the $40.00 for dvr software. Then you have a 211k that can record one ota and one sat channel at the same time.

I thought the welcome pack was awesome until they made you buy the locals. ($14.99)

I would just go with the smart pack its only $5 more per month for the 1st year and then only $25 after that.

Plus Dish will install it.

Yes, I just checked it. You can get a leased HD receiver, but not H/J.

I could be wrong but I think they charge you a onetime fee of $99 or $199 on the welcome pack if you lease?

You may be required to pay an activation fee of $79, it was recently reduced from $99.

Is the activation fee only for new customers? We moved to the Welcome Package earlier this year with no activation fees, so just checking. We have a leased 722K and have been with Dish for around 5 or 6 years. Also I was told HD4Life would remain on our account even though the Welcome Package only has locals and promo channels in HD, so if we ever opted to move back up our HD4Life would stick.

So for us with the warranty, DVR Fee, and welcome package our bill is right at $30/month which is NICE...

Is the activation fee only for new customers?
if you start an account and lease the receiver yes
if you buy the equipment then no
We moved to the Welcome Package earlier this year with no activation fees, so just checking. We have a leased 722K and have been with Dish for around 5 or 6 years. Also I was told HD4Life would remain on our account even though the Welcome Package only has locals and promo channels in HD, so if we ever opted to move back up our HD4Life would stick.
correct

Just checked the Dish website comparing programming in the Welcome Pack with the Smart Pack. According to the website, the Welcome Pack has TBS, History, HGTV, Food, Comedy Central, etc in HD. Is that true?? I thought only the locals were in HD in the Welcome Pack.

The only HD you get with the Welcome Pack is
HD locals (if available)
any add on channels (HBO, Heartland Pack) if the station is in HD
any freeview channels

the dish site doesnt show it in HD....at least not where I looked (main site)

Go to the Packages page http://www.mydish.com/upgrades/english-packages/ ....put a check in the "Compare Box" for "Welcome Pack" and for "Smart Pack" (or any other)....then click on "Compare Selected" at the top of the page. That gives you a side by side list of channels included in each Pack. See the screenshot of a portion of the list:

Screenshot.png

Yes I believe that is another web site error. They have only given Welcome pack hd free view channels . Although I think it is way past time to put the Welcome pack in HD too. Then they would really be appealing to today's customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts