welcome package new pricing question

Hmm... I am on the welcome pack and I just got a letter from dish saying my package will increase $5. Hopefully they sent it to me by mistake.

Hmm... I am on the welcome pack and I just got a letter from dish saying my package will increase $5. Hopefully they sent it to me by mistake.
I'm on Welcome Pack, and I got the same letter. They gave me the free month of Epix channels, as the letter offered--perhaps to soften the blow of an increase? Hopefully, the letter was mistaken, and there will be no increase.

I got a letter today from Dish apologizing for the previous letter and saying that there will be no increase in the welcome pack.

I got a letter today from Dish apologizing for the previous letter and saying that there will be no increase in the welcome pack.

I received the "A Special Thank You from DISH" envelope today offering gifts of Epix and free movies followed by the Joe Clayton "Dear valued DISH customer" $5 increase kick in the gut. I hope what you are saying is true.

I received the apology letter too saying there won't be any increase to the Welcome Pack.... I believe we are good there.

I had the welcome pack when it was a fair deal $10 until they raised it.

Do you guys really think $20 for 6 channels is a fair deal?

TBS
History
HGTV
CMT
Food
CC

I bet dish pays less then $2 a month per sub. Not trying to hate on dish or anything but this just seems to be a rip job now. So I guess I'm asking why would you pay $240 a year for crappy looking SD? I do understand if you can't get locals then perhaps it's worth it but come on dish at least give the other channels in HD.

Yes. Tell me anyone who has that besides DISH. It's how much those channels cost now, including increases by the affiliates. As for HD - they probably could although it appears from the Disney dispute they do have to pay extra when they offer HD. I also say they don't offer HD other than locals because they don't make any money on that package and prefer people not stay on it. If you can get locals, why not drop DISH and get what you want from the internet?
(Even Charter's "lifeline" package costs more here)

TBS, Food Network, and HGTV are our most watched channels... even when we had AT120. Sometimes I like to get into my inner child, and watch Boomerang for the classics. Not to mention Hallmark now has Home Improvement on, which is one of my favorite shows growing up. Add in the fact that we get a handful of free previews every month.. definitely worth it to me! My original plan was to drop DISH and just go pure Roku throughout the house... but $20 a month to me to watch Diners Drive Ins and Dives, Guy VS. Rachael Cookoff, Restaurant Impossible, Property Brothers, in addition to the weekend movies on CC and TBS... we are pretty much set. Yes, I really dislike the lack of HD... especially since we have a 50 inch LED... but I have learned to adjust to the picture being how it is. To me, it is worth it to save $25 a month that it would cost on the next package up that we would get (which would be DISH America). That, in addition to the Roku's and Netflix... I have all the TV that I need or want.

I also utilize the 722k that we have for a DVR quite frequently. $28 a month for it all is worth it... especially since if I wanted to just have DVR for OTA, it would cost $15 a month for TiVO, and another $5 if I wanted my bedroom to have access to it (so $20 total). For $8 more a month, I have DVR in both bedroom and living room, with a guide, and receive a handful of my favorite channels in addition to the locals. Definitely worth it to me.

TBS
History
HGTV
CMT
Food
CC

I bet dish pays less then $2 a month per sub. Not trying to hate on dish or anything but this just seems to be a rip job now. So I guess I'm asking why would you pay $240 a year for crappy looking SD? I do understand if you can't get locals then perhaps it's worth it but come on dish at least give the other channels in HD.
Even if it is only $2 per month for the programming, every business has fixed costs (payroll, leases, electricity, infrastructure, etc) that if it came to $15 per sub, then it would only be a $3 profit on a $20 revenue.

TBS
History
HGTV
CMT
Food
CC

All the people who scream for a la carte seem to thinks it's a good deal. At least they better because that's what it will end up costing.

TBS
History
HGTV
CMT
Food
CC

There are more than those 6 channels in the Welcome Pack. Those maybe the channels you are interested in and it is your decision if it is worth it to you. That is no different than subscribing to AT250 and only watching 10 channels out of that package, is it worth the price? To you it might be to others it is a waste of money.

There are more than those 6 channels in the Welcome Pack. Those maybe the channels you are interested in and it is your decision if it is worth it to you. That is no different than subscribing to AT250 and only watching 10 channels out of that package, is it worth the price? To you it might be to others it is a waste of money.

Those are the only channels they have to pay for maybe a few cents for bloomberg.

All the people who scream for a la carte seem to thinks it's a good deal. At least they better because that's what it will end up costing.

It was a good deal at $10 for SD. But I think for $20 people should get HD.

Those are the only channels they have to pay for maybe a few cents for bloomberg.
If you had the inside information I think you would find DISH pays for more than 6 channels. And as Dare2be stated you are overlooking the overhead expenses that DISH also incurs to provide subscription service to you. Yes I would like the service even more if it was $10 instead of $20 but think of all the additional expenses before you decide DISH is making a killing on that $20 package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)