welcome package new pricing question

If you had the inside information I think you would find DISH pays for more than 6 channels. And as Dare2be stated you are overlooking the overhead expenses that DISH also incurs to provide subscription service to you. Yes I would like the service even more if it was $10 instead of $20 but think of all the additional expenses before you decide DISH is making a killing on that $20 package.

if you want to knit-pick like that, then dish should have discounted rates for those of us than own and maintain our own equipment.

the welcome pack does not show a price increase coming, and hopefully it will not. The parents were upset over the last one, and another $5 increase would definitely send them back to OTA and DVDs.

If you had the inside information I think you would find DISH pays for more than 6 channels.

I should have counted then letting the fingers run on the keyboard lol :)

You are correct they pay for 18 of the channels. (BTW you don't need inside information to know what channel's charge a fee for carriage)
TBS
History
HGTV
Baby First TV
Bloomberg
Boomerang
CMT
Comedy Central
C-Span
Food Network
Hallmark Channel
MSNBC
MTV2
Oxygen
The Hub
TLC
Weather Channel
Women's Entertainment
(Without Locals)

I still say its near $2 (Without Locals)

And as Dare2be stated you are overlooking the overhead expenses that DISH also incurs to provide subscription service to you.
Of course every business has expenses I'm not over looking them I was not meaning to say they should sell at cost recovery. The reason the package is $20 is because dish pays more then a $100 in commission to retailers if they sell the welcome pack that's why they jacked the price up in my view.

I just think it's over priced without HD that's it add HD and its a good deal :) Hopefully they don't and sound's like they will not add $5 to the monthly price.

Last edited:
At one time I thought that DISH would of added the HD version of the Welcome pack. But that was before they reversed the HD FREE for LIFE promo that they have had for quite a few years now, and decided to once again charge $10.00 a month for new subs after their 24 month commitment is up. Now I don't expect we will see hd standard for all packs, unless their is a new industry push for 4k.

At one time I thought that DISH would of added the HD version of the Welcome pack. But that was before they reversed the HD FREE for LIFE promo that they have had for quite a few years now, and decided to once again charge $10.00 a month for new subs after their 24 month commitment is up. Now I don't expect we will see hd standard for all packs, unless their is a new industry push for 4k.

Dish does not want their customers to get the Welcome Pack. That package is just there in order to keep customers from leaving. I think of it more as a retention tool than a way to actually get new customers.

Dish does not want their customers to get the Welcome Pack. That package is just there in order to keep customers from leaving. I think of it more as a retention tool than a way to actually get new customers.

I'm sure your right about retention tool,but my point was that DISH is now moving backwards on hd and once again charging for it, as if it is a premium vehicle instead of standard operation.

If they were smarter about it, they would promote it as an older genre option.

Seems a large faction of 50+ like the welcome pack with the $5 encore pack.

If they were smarter about it, they would promote it as an older genre option.

Seems a large faction of 50+ like the welcome pack with the $5 encore pack.

I know my aunt likes it and she is about 59. OF course she is very cheap because she has to be,being single & working for Walmart in Arkansas.

I know my aunt likes it and she is about 59. OF course she is very cheap because she has to be,being single & working for Walmart in Arkansas.

yep. set the parents up with it a couple years ago and they really like, especially for the price.

a couple of their friends asked what service they had as they liked the channel selection, and got really excited when they heard the price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts