Welcome to SatelliteGuys Local Radio Discussion!

Nice gesture by Scott,always hate to see a forum just close the doors without any kind of warning.

Welcome to all the former radiodiscussions.com members!

As a RD refugee, I really like the notion of bringing the discussion over here. One more reason to love SG, and one less reason to waste time elsewhere! Thank you Scott!

Thanks Bryon,

Tomorrow to welcome everyone from RD here to SatelliteGuys I will be doing something special which should make everyone new and old here feel more welcome. :)

Stay Tuned!

Here's the story, from the RBR website itself: "Said RBR-TVBR/Radio Ink EVP/GM TJ Lambert: 'This was an economic decision. Our intention was to offer Radio Discussions as an option to our advertisers but we found there was no interest and though we respect what Doug Fleming originally built, it simply does not make sense to pour cash into something with no prospect of revenue.'”

I'd post the link, but when I did, the post was rejected.

These guys came in made all these radical changes and expected that overnight they were going to make a profit.

I can tell you that it took about 7 years before I made a profit here. To run a site like this is a labor of love and it takes time to build a community and then more time before you can make a dime.

Even well established after 10 years the thought if making a profit I is not a guarantee that you will make a profit. Just this year two of our most major ad agencies went out of business, earnings for this year are down over 70%. There have been a few times this year when I had to reach in my pocket to pay for things. And I don't mind at all because this site is a labor of love for me!

These guys came in and destroyed what took the Fleming family years to build and alienated there user with their new site. The new owners didn't listen to any feedback given and good users left. Look at how bad their new software was... Well guess what... We use the same software here and it works and works well!

We were built by listening to our members as without our members we would be nothing, and with happened at RD is proof of that.

Again welcome everyone!

Thanks, Scott. As another RD refugee, I appreciate what you guys are doing and look forward to rebuilding the community and meeting new friends like you.

I also know how you feel; a few years ago, I rescued a forum that had been dropped by "corporate" owners for economic reasons. I hope you can get their database. Would it include the past posts? I was a member since 2003; I feel like I've written books over there and hope they just don't go up in cybersmoke.

Regardless, these forums are valuable - to the ones that appreciate them. You can't monetize memories.

Hi gang.
Good to see someone take the reigns of the debacle that became radiodiscussions.com

However, it might be too late to recapture the magic that made the old digs click before they were bought out. Maybe some of the old salty dogs from the radioverse will find their way over here and healthy discussion may continue. I hope it does and they do show up, we'll have to wait and see I suppose. The absolute saddest thing is that the blood, sweat and tears created by the late Doug Fleming about his personal labor of love with radio could just be pissed on and tossed like yesterday's garbage in the blink of an eye. What a waste of one man's legacy and the complete utter contempt the new owners of the old digs have shown. To hell with 'em I say.

I wonder if we say DavidEduardo 3 times fast he'll appear like Beetlejuice? Haha.

Anyways, thanks Satguys for offering this refugee camp. Yer good peeps. :)

I hope cceng, JMTillery, and some of the others from the North Florida board make it over here. Always good info shared on the old RadioDiscussions site. :)

Welcome Robonoxious!

The thing that upsets me most about the closure of RD is that POOF everything was gone. I would like to see RD remain online so that the history of what was RD is preserved for future generations. To see that all gone just upsets me. If the RD owners would allow me to put that online as a frozen time capsule I would consider that an honor and it would be something I would do and host for FREE out of respect for all the posters at RD over the years and the Fleming family.

Thanks for creating this Scott! Hope you get control of that site and open it back up.

Welcome Robonoxious!

The thing that upsets me most about the closure of RD is that POOF everything was gone. I would like to see RD remain online so that the history of what was RD is preserved for future generations. To see that all gone just upsets me. If the RD owners would allow me to put that online as a frozen time capsule I would consider that an honor and it would be something I would do and host for FREE out of respect for all the posters at RD over the years and the Fleming family.

http://rbr.com/radio-discussions-shuts-down/

The owners apparently saw the site as a money making machine and claim to respect Doug Fleming. But apparently, they decided otherwise and gave the loyal users the ultimate "F--- you". Such an apparently stupid thing to say and such disrespect to its users by blindsiding them with this.

BTW, I was stdjsb25, posting mostly on the Texas TV forums.

The owners apparently saw the site as a money making machine and claim to respect Doug Fleming. But apparently, they decided otherwise and gave the loyal users the ultimate "F--- you". Such an apparently stupid thing to say and such disrespect to its users by blindsiding them with this.

Unfortunately what you say appears to be true. When something no longer serves your purpose, you have the choice of throwing it way or giving it away. The latter is generally the right thing to do. If lack of monetization is the only issue I can't see what they have to gain by not letting someone else take over the site.

Hello.

I would like to thank Scott for establishing this forum for the refugees of RD.

I've been a lurker to this site for many years but never took the time to register and post (DISH Network subscriber).

The RD forums I frequented were the Tampa and Miami radio forums and the TV forum (hence the years of lurking).

It sounds to me that the new owners bought it with the intention of killing it off.They don't seem to want it to continue elsewhere also or they would of been in contact with scott by now.

It sounds to me that the new owners bought it with the intention of killing it off.They don't seem to want it to continue elsewhere also or they would of been in contact with scott by now.

In business terms of course that means "tax writeoff".

More and more states are filling the blanks.Im hoping this new section really works out! I for one do miss the radio discussion board.Hopefully in time the mods and other members of RD will join us here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)