Well, I cancelled Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think I will write my own "Terms" and send with my next payment that state an "Equipment Storage Fee" of $5 per receiver per day when service is terminated and that by depositing the attached payment Dish accepts the terms. Maybe I will even get it notarized.

Probably wouldn't do any good but it might make for an interesting discussion with a CSR when I cancel my account. :)

the thing is you signed a residential agreement service to agree with dish's terms. they didnt sign your agreement on your terms.

E* Lost another 12+ years customer today

It's good to know that E* employees are reading this thread, because only an employee would agree that paying $15 per receiver is reasonable. Perhaps you should focus on how to retain your customers rather than bending them over. I have been a customer for over 12 years, but that ended about 3 hours ago. My 622 receiver kicked the bucket yesterday, and my 722 has been freezing up for the last two weeks every time I tried to watch anything that had been recorded, including pausing live tv. When I called tech support, they were happy to ship out replacement receivers, but I would have to pay $15 shipping for each of them. When I informed the E* rep that I just wanted to cancel my service, he was more than happy to transfer me to a CSR who took very little time to close my account. There was zero attempt made to retain me as a customer. To be somewhat fair, I didn't ask for anything other than to close my account. I wish I had recorded the call, because I got the "don't let the door hit your a$$" attitude from the CSR. To go from being told that I was "a valued dish customer" to you're a jerk and we don't want you as a customer was a great example of good customer service. I guess 12+ years doesn't mean anything to E*. Oh, "and by the way, we will need the LNB returned as well." :rant: How many people outside of the SatelliteGuys regulars even know what an LNB is? Sounds like just another way to charge the normal person for failing to return everything requested. Will they charge me if I don't leave batteries in the remote controls? I will not forget my experience today, and I will be sure to discourage friends and co-workers from signing up with dish. Charlie is just a big hypocrite when it comes to trying to differentiate dish from the cable companies. YOU'RE NO DIFFERENT!!! I got the message today.

I understand Dish wanting the customer to pay for returns, but that does not make it right. I agree with one of the posts that suggested that Dish discount the return fee based on years of service. It would be nice if Dish would allow you to return the equipment to the reseller you order the service from.

My experience is that the installers and retailers go out of their way to try to provide good service while Dish is trying to nickel and dime the customer. For example, we had a new roof put on our house. We paid for a service call to have the dish set back up. The installer didn't like where the dish had been. He couldn't understand why the original installer put it so it aimed over a tree. As he said, the tree will only get taller. He also didn't like that we had a SuperDish. He said they were nothing but trouble. He called from our house and got in an argument with whoever would authorize swapping dishes. He didn't do any work that day, and before he left, he said he he would do it right. He asked me to remove the old coax and to bury a conduit and told me how he planned to run the wires.

A week later he came back with a used Dish 500. After running new wires, he found that one of the LNBs (?) was bad. We could get some channels, but not all. He came back a few days later and swapped LNBs.

Did I mention that he did all of this in December?

He took it upon himself to do the job right. I appreciate his work ethic.

But this installer works for the local reseller, not Dish. Maybe Dish is just too far removed from the end customer to understand the difference between doing things right and doing the right things.

It's good to know that E* employees are reading this thread, because only an employee would agree that paying $15 per receiver is reasonable. Perhaps you should focus on how to retain your customers rather than bending them over. I have been a customer for over 12 years, but that ended about 3 hours ago. My 622 receiver kicked the bucket yesterday, and my 722 has been freezing up for the last two weeks every time I tried to watch anything that had been recorded, including pausing live tv. When I called tech support, they were happy to ship out replacement receivers, but I would have to pay $15 shipping for each of them. When I informed the E* rep that I just wanted to cancel my service, he was more than happy to transfer me to a CSR who took very little time to close my account. There was zero attempt made to retain me as a customer. To be somewhat fair, I didn't ask for anything other than to close my account. I wish I had recorded the call, because I got the "don't let the door hit your a$$" attitude from the CSR. To go from being told that I was "a valued dish customer" to you're a jerk and we don't want you as a customer was a great example of good customer service. I guess 12+ years doesn't mean anything to E*. Oh, "and by the way, we will need the LNB returned as well." :rant: How many people outside of the SatelliteGuys regulars even know what an LNB is? Sounds like just another way to charge the normal person for failing to return everything requested. Will they charge me if I don't leave batteries in the remote controls? I will not forget my experience today, and I will be sure to discourage friends and co-workers from signing up with dish. Charlie is just a big hypocrite when it comes to trying to differentiate dish from the cable companies. YOU'RE NO DIFFERENT!!! I got the message today.

My experience with Insight Cable was about the same. After 14+ years of service and an upgrade to HD, when I called and said I wanted my service canceled the response was OK. No "Why?" or "Can we change your mind?", just OK.
There's not a lot companies out there any more that really try to keep you as a customer. It seems they think there will always be someone else to take your place.
Ghpr13:)

Lets put it this way... for the last 14 years dish has NOT charged people when canceling service.
Now they are. This additional fee was not necessary for 14 years. It isn't necessary now.

YEP. Use the boxes or else!!!

Did I read this correctly....Dish will charge you $15.00 dollars PER receiver when you return them regardless if you use their boxes/labels? So if I can ship them back as requested for $5.00 dollars a box I will still incur a $15.00 dollar charge.?

IF true then its just an additional cancellation fee.

Did I read this correctly....Dish will charge you $15.00 dollars PER receiver when you return them regardless if you use their boxes/labels? So if I can ship them back as requested for $5.00 dollars a box I will still incur a $15.00 dollar charge.?

YES, you read it correctly. That's why I called back a couple days later, and it was verified by the second person. I'm still waiting for the boxes. It will be up to 10 days to receive them.

The funny part about it as they told me "The 15.00 is a fair price, wont be cheaper then that", and the LNB part is funny as well, It was nice that the Directv Installer pulled down the Dish Network dish so I can pull the LNB.

Again with Dish...One step foward, two steps back which is to bad with some of the good things they have

The funny part about it as they told me "The 15.00 is a fair price, wont be cheaper then that", and the LNB part is funny as well, It was nice that the Directv Installer pulled down the Dish Network dish so I can pull the LNB.

Again with Dish...One step foward, two steps back which is to bad with some of the good things they have
I would keep the LNB and sell it on ebay. You could recover a few $ of the $15 charge. Tell E* that the dish is on the roof and you don't have a ladder tall enough.

This is just pure craziness. Anyone who defends Dish for these fees is nuts, or an employee.

I have a HD duo reciever, and two other regular duo receivers. I went with Dish a few years ago now, for the main reason that they were able to do my house better than DirectTV, with the duo receivers.

Now, my bill goes up over $20 with receiver fees, making me very angry. They start raping you in fees for trying to use their biggest advantage over Direct?

I was already considering leaving due to the lack of the MLB Network, mind you.

So, I find my contract end date is late July, and I plan to leave. And, now I hear it's going to cost me $45 more to send the boxes back? This is outrageous.

And, my dish is on top of a 3rd story over a walkout. LNB....not going to happen.

I have half a mind to agree with the other poster. Just keep them and let them try to get them from you for $15 a piece. Collection agencies for this type of stuff do not affect your credit rating, the last I knew. That'll show them, if everyone follows that tactic.

Sometimes there comes a time when you have to stand on principle.

No difference

nice try...but this is a new Dish policy after 2/1/10. How many current dish customers signed a contract after 2/1/10?

we're being extorted monies without any recourse as the cost to not return the box would be even more ridiculous... it may not meet the legal definition...but essentially that's what I think Dish is doing under these types of changes.

It's their way of getting an extra cancellation fee out of us, but not calling it one. And completely legal as they disguise it under this return shipping garbage.

Just because a company "can" charge for something doesn't mean they have to. Many of us Dish customers have reasonable expectations of good customer service.

When they signed up makes no difference. On the contract theyreseve the right to change the terms of service at any time.

Just packed my reciever and LNB and off to take it to UPS, while I wai tmy 30 charge on my account to mail the recivers. Got to get these to Dish fast, dont want my credit card to be charged, plus when it comes to fees Dish, I know you got a rep to protect, you are home to the "everyday fees" right :)

Makes cents to me cancel because of small charges and go with another provider that charges more?.Here's a little secret those little charges you don't like? are already figured into the higher priced providers fees(you just don't see them).You know there has to be some reason they charge higher prices.:eek:;)

Do you think they actually check the LNBs? I will not buy a ladder to get on top of my 2 story house, but I do have an old DTV LNB around I could send back...

Not that I am canceling yet.

Do you think they actually check the LNBs? I will not buy a ladder to get on top of my 2 story house, but I do have an old DTV LNB around I could send back...

Not that I am canceling yet.

I have heard, though nothing offical from some people that if you let them know that its impossible or dangerous to get your LNB they will waive it.

As far as I am concerned... it'll always be "too dangerous" to pull the LNB off. In fact I'm with those that say if dish wants their equipment, they need to come get it. I'm not sure the language related to this issue would even be legal in Minnesota. As a service based business, I don' t know that they can continue with any charges once the service is discontinued... regardless of what the contract stipulates. Service based businesses needs to include equipment re-acquisition costs in their customer acquisition costs or service fees.

As to not having such charges before? Remember, dish had DVR's that had no fees at one time. Lots of fees have show up over time as simply revenue enhancement devices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)