Well, I cancelled Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
When they signed up makes no difference. On the contract theyreseve the right to change the terms of service at any time.
oh i agree... they "can" do practically anything according to their terms of service. (not that it makes it right)

the person I was replying to earlier was trying to imply that the fees are explained in the contract that we signed itself. That is not the case for most of the current dish customers as it's a new policy where they have updated those terms.

Doesn't the cable company also require you to return THEIR equipment when you leave? My recollection is you have to drop them off at a service location or office, so I don't really see this as a lot different.

The difference is I could drop off a cable box at the local cable office.... E* makes me ship it on my dime. Let me drop it off at a local satellite dealer an then we can compare apples to apples.

I cancelled yesterday. Got way to good of a deal with cable, but who cares. My experience with Dish was great. Yes they did try to keep me but when I said cable was installed they were not pushy at all. They are sending me a box for my 2 receivers, and was told I could put them in one box and send both back for $15 (we will see). They asked where the dish was located. When I told them the dish was on the roof, they said not to worry about the LNB. Yes, I have to pay to ship the receivers back, but they have to go somewhere. If I can send both back for $15, thats not too bad. Like one round in the local bar for me and a couple buddies. It could be worse.

where did you get it?

The difference is I could drop off a cable box at the local cable office.... E* makes me ship it on my dime. Let me drop it off at a local satellite dealer an then we can compare apples to apples.

Where did you get the unit? Was it at the local sat dealer? If not why should he be stuck with shipping it back?:confused:

About 15 months ago I switched from the 61.5, 110, 119 setup to the Eastern Arc, went from two dishes to just one. The local installer who put up the new dish pulled the lnb's from the old dishes, said Dish required they be returned.

My step-daughter switched from Dish to DirecTv to take advantage of one of D*s special offers last year. We were comparing our monthly bills a couple of weeks ago and she noted that even with the special pricing she was paying more for the same packet of services than I was. She may have gone from the first 12 month period into the second one, I didn't ask, but in any event she is now paying more for services from D* than if she had the same package from Dish.

I'm pretty happy to have more HD from Dish for less money than D* would charge. On the subject of the $15 fee to return a receiver if you use their box, I agree with Claude or whoever it was said that was a very reasonable fee and return mechanism. I don't work for Dish, and there is no way in hades I would engage in a fight with a bill collector over a $15 equipment return fee. First thing you know, you could end up in small claims court and the judge would just order you to pay the fee plus costs, and you're out 2 to 3 hundred. Even if you win, it couldn't possibly be worth the hassle. But each person has a right to do whatever feels best to him or her.

Best regards,
Fitzie

Take it to the very limit where it would actually take any time to "fight" and then had then $15, no impact on credit rating. Cost to you: $15. Cost to them, many tens of times more than $15 in man hours, correspondence.

"Fighting" this fee means throwing away the bill whenever it comes. If they want to take you to small claims court over $15 then let them. the day the court day come up, pay the bill. Tada! You fought it and cost them a bundle int he process

It is a fee that wasn't there before. I never "signed" a damned thing. Companies get away with this because consumers are lemmings. I am one of them usually. But this fee is my limit. I will never pay it voluntarily.

As to destroying the remaining install on the way out?

Complain if you want BUT the company is hosing you over, its your property you have every right to do whatever you want.

Besides E should pay installers enough for a good complete job

The only person you're hosing is the next installer who comes to run cable, whether that be the cable guy, direct installer or e* installer. May even screw yourself over if you end up destroying a cable that can't be replaced and then has to be rerouted through your window.

So, yes, destroying your install on the way out is certainly within your rights but is probably the pinnacle of stupid, misdirected spite.

how retarded is that? seriously....so you have to pay to send back the equipment?

Damn whats next...Dish charges you outrageous fees for the privilege to use their equipment? oh wait...too late on that one ;)
Yes , Pay to send back equipment thats not even yours.
Thats F*&^ed up is what that is.:rant:

The only person you're hosing is the next installer who comes to run cable, whether that be the cable guy, direct installer or e* installer. May even screw yourself over if you end up destroying a cable that can't be replaced and then has to be rerouted through your window.

So, yes, destroying your install on the way out is certainly within your rights but is probably the pinnacle of stupid, misdirected spite.

on the way out means move, so E could NEVER use the install for dishmover.

so it cost E money........ they can pay for it from the outrageous fees they added.....

on the way out means move, so E could NEVER use the install for dishmover.

so it cost E money........ they can pay for it from the outrageous fees they added.....

My point still stands. You're not hosing E*, you're hosing the next installer. Stupid, misdirected spite is what that is.

Man I'm glad I kicked Dish to the curb over a year ago will never go back I only take getting screwed by a company once after that they can kiss my ass.

If they're charging $15 regardless of shipping method, this is clearly a fee. There is nothing in my contract about a fee for canceling and when the contract is up I would not pay a fee for canceling. Pretty sure that is the point of not being under contract, you can't charge a fee to cancel.

Seems like what they're doing is illegal.

In my mind, if Dish wants their equipment back that's their own responsibility. They give you the equipment so that you can receive their pay service. It's a device that enables you to subscribe to their service. Without giving you the equipment, they can't make money off you in the first place. Thus it should not be the customer's expense to return the equipment that enabled them to be a customer in the first place.

If I ever cancel, Dish isn't getting a penny. I'm sick and tired of this company trying to throw hidden fees all over their customers. It's not honest business practice.

I don't understand this shipping fee either. When you are using their equipment, not equipment you purchase, there shouldn't be a fee for Dish to get it back. And if they're going to have this fee, it should be spelled out when you sign up with them. I agree with others that this is nothing more than a restocking or cancellation fee, other wise you should have an option to returned the equipment any way you want, IE: UPS, USPS, FedEx...If you choose to use their boxes & labels, then I could see then charging a fee for the convenience of using their "specialty boxes and prepaid labels", as long you have other options.

Ghpr13:)

I don't understand this shipping fee either. When you are using their equipment, not equipment you purchase, there shouldn't be a fee for Dish to get it back. And if they're going to have this fee, it should be spelled out when you sign up with them. I agree with others that this is nothing more than a restocking or cancellation fee, other wise you should have an option to returned the equipment any way you want, IE: UPS, USPS, FedEx...If you choose to use their boxes & labels, then I could see then charging a fee for the convenience of using their "specialty boxes and prepaid labels", as long you have other options.

Yes, thats the route they are taking in that if you want to use "there" shipping labels its the 15.00 per label fee that they will add to your account

Yes, thats the route they are taking in that if you want to use "there" shipping labels its the 15.00 per label fee that they will add to your account

But I thought others on here have said that Dish is charging $15 even if you don't use their boxes and labels, that basically Dish charges $15 for each receiver returned peroid, or am I misunderstanding?

the fee is not enforced. you are more then welcome to ship it yourself without using dishes labels then you will not have to pay dish the 15.00 fee.

i also take it when your lease is up on your car they pay you for your gas and time to return it to the dealership. or do they come and get it from you at no cost? (well, they do if you dont pay or refuse to return, but there is a cost involved in that)

When your commitment is up, You shouldn't have to PAY ANYTHING to cancel your service.
Return equipment fee's are required to cancel. This is basicly what E* is doing.

You can't cancel without returning leased equipment and E* is well aware, and takes full atvantage. That should be stopped by law.

Here's a copy of the email I received today from E* regarding the equipment return:

We are sorry you have disconnected your DISH Network service. If you'd like to restart your service, simply keep your receivers and give us a call at 1-888-265-6864. Otherwise, your DISH Network account has been disconnected and, per our customer agreement, you are responsible for returning the leased equipment to DISH Network.

Please return the following leased equipment:

MODEL: CAID: SERIAL NUMBER:

Receiver - ViP722
Receiver - ViP622

To help you easily return your equipment, DISH Network is doing the following:

• We are shipping you a return kit. You should receive it in the next few days. To avoid charges for equipment damage during shipping, please use the specially designed boxes and follow the enclosed packing instructions to return the equipment to DISH Network.

• We are providing you with discounted return shipping labels enclosed in the kit. Per our customer agreement with you, a $15 per label equipment return fee will be charged to your account should you choose to use these labels. This fee is significantly less than rates you are likely to find with UPS, FedEx or the US Postal Service.

You should receive another email providing tracking information and an estimated delivery date for the kit.

Thank you,
DISH Network

From what I read in this, I can pay any carrier to return the receivers, but $15 is cheaper than other carriers. I'll find out when I get the boxes packaged up and post the costs.

It used to be until this February that Dish paid for the shipping as part of the cost of doing business. Now they are charging you, the customer for what they used to include for no reason other than they can get away with it.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts