Well no local cannels for me

betaman10

Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Hello,

After waiting for about a month to get a massive antenna installed the guy finally came out to do it. Well the sad thing is nothing is going to work to get me local channels with voom. There is a large hill between me and the stations so nothing is going to help me out. Anyway the guy also fixed it so I now get high 80's for my signal instead of low to mid 70's in clear weather. So hopefully this will help out for when it rains. All in all I am very happy with the HD channel lineup with voom. I am going to keep directv for awhile though for the local channels and a couple other channels that my kid likes that voom doesn't offer. The way I see it is that voom should just dump sd channels and save that bandwidth for hd only channels. Now I am sure that would upset some people, but hey I am happy having both directv and voom. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Voom should stick with HD and Directv should stick with SD. BTW even if directv comes out with more HD channels I am screwed for those because I do not receive SAT 110 because of a large tree. I am not sure how I get great signal on 101 and 119, but 110 I get 0. Anyway Voom keep up the good work and get more HD channels don't worry about SD for the time being HD is the wave of the future anyway.

Dan

You could get a "lifeline" service from your local cable company of just the local networks. It's usually pretty cheap. It won't be HD, but at least you get them.

Im not quite sure what antenna it was other than it was about 12 feet long or so. As for just getting the local channels from the cable company. I thought about that and it was like $13 a month, but directv gave me a great deal for 6 months so I figured there were other channels that directv has that voom doesn't so I desided to stay with them for another 6 months. Probably not going to after the 6 months though. anyway between voom and directv I am paying over $100 which I said I would never do :) But I love it and am very happy. Not to be greedy, but I wish there were even more HD channels. SD looks like crap compaired to HD.

In my area it's about 12 bucks for basic cable, if you add an HD box, you pay an extra 5 bucks, but you'll be able to get HD locals! All for 17 bucks! It's not a bad alternative for those who can't get OTA's! You might want to check with your local cable company to see if they have something similar?