SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
toppick.cur.png

1013wdmedia.promo_.jpg

1013wdmedia.bac.jpg

Final Thoughts
The WD TV Play is a solid choice for a media player. At under $100, it’s a good value and performs beautifully. The straightforward menus and remote should be easy for anyone to use. Plus, on nice days, it may encourage you to go out and play.

Link

I have an original WDTVLive box. It works well with a slightly older firmware. Just be aware that WD is notorious for putting out hardware too quickly, then abandoning it fairly soon (about 4-6 firmwares) instead of fixing everything. They then push out an even newer device, that incorporates the fixes that should have gone into the previous device...

I just ordered the WDTV Live. Could not find out if it will do You Tube at 1080 P, not 720P. I need 1080p YT to be able to put my projector in SBSh mode for You Tube 3D.

Anyone know if I can do this with WDTV Live? If it doesn't work for what I need then I gues my daughter will be happy. She wants a new Roku as her's the remote control is falling apart. She gets my failed experiments hand me downs. :(

Good news. The WDTV Live supports You Tube SBS half at 1080 60p x 1920.

That was my main reason for getting it. I'm a happy camper on this one. I haven't checked out much else on it. Probably Netflix later tonight.

I made a one button MACRO for my remote control that switched my projector back and forth between 3d SBSh mode and 3D Frame packed. I don't know why these TV makers make switching 3D SBS and frame packed so difficult.

Don- Are you sure your WD TV Play doesn't do You Tube in 1080p 60. It's a newer box, I thought.

Let me know if there is anything else you need checked out on the WD TV Live.

Sorry would have replied earlier and given you a quick answer but been unavailable for last few weeks. I have 3 of the WDTV Live wifi streaming versions and 2 of the Live Hubs. They all play youtube 1080p. I have my Galaxy Note 2 paired to them so I can use it as a remote for youtube. These are awesome as sling clients for my slingbox 350 too. Hulu Plus also looks very good through them. I havent tried Netflix. The Live and the Live Hub were on the same firmware versions until last week. The Live took an update that added many new streaming services but they have yet to issue an update for the Live Hubs.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

WDTV-Live: I also checked out Netflix and it also plays in 1080p for the latest Super HD content just released, however, it does not support 3D since Netflix 3D is a frame packed format. The SHD programs are equal to Blu-Ray disk image quality for picture detail and mo0tion smoothness. Note that while Netflix 3D is available on the PS3, the resolution of that device is restricted to 720P for 3D content from streaming sources. PS3 from BluRay disk is 1080 24p for 3D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts