WGGB crawl

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JayStil

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
In the last few days WGGB (ABC & FOX in Springfield MA) started running a crawl warning about DirecTV's carriage agreement expiring Dec. 1st, and that it "might not be renewed". The usual switch to cable or install an antenna crap if you wish to continue to receive our signal.

These guys have been off of DISH for several years now so I don't think an agreement is a given. Just a heads up for those in that DMA.

I was actually suprised to see the crawl. I'm glad I have an OTA. There are a couple ABC shows I really like. Hopefully for those who don't have one, the deal will get done.

So the Springfield dma with Dish doesn't get a Fox or ABC affiliate? Weird.

Actually when I had Dish a few years ago I didn't get any of the locals. Not sure when the others were added.

It's not a continius crawl . It came up once when I was watching BONES Monday night, and once when watching SHIELD as a crawl. Then an almost PSA type ad during the morning news. I did the same thing yesterday looked on their website and nothing. It's kind of odd. It said as of Dec 1st the contract is ending and may not be renewed.

Ok, saw it last night, but still nothing on their website, like when they had a contract ending with charter. I've got a terrestrial option at my house and AM21's are cheap enough on ebay should these channels go away. I could always use my showroom TIVO on my antenna as well and get a bunch of sub channels (just have to change tv inputs)...

The Springfield, MA DMA is waste of time. The locals are some of the worst I have seen. If I lived in this area, I would "move" to SE VT to get all the VT, NH, and Boston locals in HD.

The Springfield, MA DMA is waste of time. The locals are some of the worst I have seen. If I lived in this area, I would "move" to SE VT to get all the VT, NH, and Boston locals in HD.

I like WWLP-22, they do a pretty good job with local news. The others I could live without their "local" content. I can easily receive WWLP via a small antenna as well. WWGB not so much, sometimes it's fine but often it cycles between a pixelated screen. Can't really figure it out as signal strength is 70 between pixellations. I'm thinking some sort of interference but I haven't played around with it much yet. "Moving" might not be a bad idea.

There's an update to WGGB's warning page:

"Update Nov. 25, 2013: DIRECTV has finally responded to our offer to keep our ABC and FOX signals on their system in Hampden, Hampshire and Franklin counties. Unfortunately, DIRECTV has rejected virtually every key point of that proposal and, as such, appears intent on removing our signals Dec. 1, 2013. We will, however, continue our efforts to reach an agreement with DIRECTV nonetheless."

For what it's worth, here is DirecTV's response, as posted on directvpromise.com for Hampden, Hampshire and Franklin County customers:
2013-11-29 22_10_27-Keeping You Connected to Your Local Channels _ DIRECTV Promise.png

And they're gone: The Channel 40 website is reporting its ABC and Fox signals have been pulled from DirecTV as of midnight.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385875619.880105.jpg

I get all the Springfield locals OTA, and agree only WWLP is really worth watching for local content, though WSHM CBS isn't bad either. WGGB was uplinked for DISH at one time, but never was actually added. If Direct TV also can't come to an agreement I'm guessing they are asking beyond the norm.

I can get it OTA but there are a couple people at work who are very upset that they are losing ABC, one does like their local news. WSHM does do a good job also like Tampa said. There really isn't much happening here that they can't get on the other 2 locals. I usually watch Channel 22. I told them to get an OTA and they looked at me like I was nuts.. I said you can probably get a small one and not have to do a roof mount. . One lady lives in an apt, the other owns her own house. They both said last week no way will it be dropped. I said don't be so sure, once that crawl goes up, it's usually the crawl of death and they go away for at least a little while. I used to be able to pull in Channel 8 OTA also but when the switch-over to digital happened I lost them. I have a big old roof mount, so I was suprised.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

There are a lot of people that would never entertain the idea of an antenna. Maybe losing locals would change teir mind.

I'm about 45 miles from the transmitters. WWLP and WGBY are rock solid OTA. WGGB is inconsistant. Sometimes it's fine and other times it's unwatchable due to frequent pixellation. I've got a medium sized yagi style rooftop antenna w/preamp. About the only thing I'd miss is the NFL on Fox. Rarely watch ABC or Fox otherwise. Probably should look into "moving" anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.