What a day for my 65" Sony to die!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
Mustang, OK
Friday my son called me at work to say the big TV wasn't working right. I got home and checked it out, and sure enough, it was "the bowtie effect". Convergence looked good in the center of the screen, and then got progressively worse as it moved out from the center. I checked some Sony forums, and they say that's a common Sony rear projection problem. The 'D' board has two chips that are known to fail. I didn't feel competent to unsolder the old chips and replace them, so I found a replacement 'D' board on the Sears website. It should get here Tuesday.

Anyway, we moved the 40" LCD into the big room for now, but it looks so small in comparison. I don't know if I can follow the game with this one. Maybe I'll have to move the easy chair up 10 feet closer to get the same effect.

Friday my son called me at work to say the big TV wasn't working right. I got home and checked it out, and sure enough, it was "the bowtie effect". Convergence looked good in the center of the screen, and then got progressively worse as it moved out from the center. I checked some Sony forums, and they say that's a common Sony rear projection problem. The 'D' board has two chips that are known to fail. I didn't feel competent to unsolder the old chips and replace them, so I found a replacement 'D' board on the Sears website. It should get here Tuesday.

Anyway, we moved the 40" LCD into the big room for now, but it looks so small in comparison. I don't know if I can follow the game with this one. Maybe I'll have to move the easy chair up 10 feet closer to get the same effect.

If you're talking of the STK chips(392-562) I am replacing mines as I tipping:eek:.I let you know if I bring by life to my 65 before kick off.:eek:

If you're talking of the STK chips(392-562) I am replacing mines as I tipping:eek:.I let you know if I bring by life to my 65 before kick off.:eek:
Yep, mine are STK392-560, but they're the same ones. Looking online, there seem to be a lot of places selling those chips. Either there's a lot of boards out there with those chips, or they have a high failure rate. Looking at the huge heat sinks they attach to, they must generate a lot of heat.

Well at least you have the 40" set. When my Sony broke (twice for thermal fuses, once for a burned out lamp) all I had for a backup was a 20" Sony. It really is strange watching a small screen, when you are used to 55". Pull the chair up, friend, and I hope the game lives up to the hype.

Yep, mine are STK392-560, but they're the same ones. Looking online, there seem to be a lot of places selling those chips. Either there's a lot of boards out there with those chips, or they have a high failure rate. Looking at the huge heat sinks they attach to, they must generate a lot of heat.

Sorry ,You're right(I typed the wrong number)I got them for $25.00 ea, I'm making convergence right now,I let you now,Ps if your TV is the same model as mine(KP65ws510)and need the schematics or Svc manual,let me know I can send you the complete file.:)

Well at least you have the 40" set. When my Sony broke (twice for thermal fuses, once for a burned out lamp) all I had for a backup was a 20" Sony. It really is strange watching a small screen, when you are used to 55". Pull the chair up, friend, and I hope the game lives up to the hype.

I'm still hoping my old 27" Sony XBR dies some day soon, but it just keeps on ticking, it's been the bedroom TV for about 10-12 years now and refuses to die.

If Ihad my TV die for some reason, I'd have to go to Dads and watch on the 42" Pioneer, I could not handle watching this game on the 27", it's the only back up I have.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts