What a load of *#*#!

fred,

I do realize that I got a lot of stuff for "free", but you are missing my point that I alone have brought DISH to 11 households (family, coworkers, neighbors, etc). The last two I signed up went with the TurboHD Gold which is the package I desire.

I just think it's fair to reward your current customers as well as new ones.

pfan

fred,

I do realize that I got a lot of stuff for "free", but you are missing my point that I alone have brought DISH to 11 households (family, coworkers, neighbors, etc). The last two I signed up went with the TurboHD Gold which is the package I desire.

pfan

I've brought over 30 "households" into the Dish fold, but I have to wait until feb. Just like everyone else who is an existing customer. That's the way Dish decided to set things up.

Hey, we're talking channel packages here, not different equipment. He probably had most of the cable on his house already, and that $500 rcvr is probably on its 2nd or 3rd go around.

I cannot see where it's wrong at all to expect the TurboHD channel pack that new customer's are getting. That "software issue" is a load of crap that makes no sense. Sounds more like E* wanting to make more money now, instead of keeping a customer happy.

That's the way Dish decided to set things up.

Lets see. Microsoft releases its next operating system to replace Vista. However existing Windows users cannot buy it... only new Windows users switching from competing operating systems. Vista owners must wait until the next year, even if they get others to buy it. Only then will they be allowed to hand their money over to Gates. Sounds like a solid business plan to me.

Lets see. Microsoft releases its next operating system to replace Vista. However existing Windows users cannot buy it... only new Windows users switching from competing operating systems. Vista owners must wait until the next year, even if they get others to buy it. Only then will they be allowed to hand their money over to Gates. Sounds like a solid business plan to me.

their business, their plan. Doesn't matter what you think. Matters what they think. You don't like it, then start your own satellite tv company, and you can set up the programming how ever you want.
Again, their company, they can do things the way they want. Doesn't matter whether you or anyone else thinks it's a solid business plan or not.

their business, their plan. Doesn't matter what you think. Matters what they think. You don't like it, then start your own satellite tv company, and you can set up the programming how ever you want.
Again, their company, they can do things the way they want. Doesn't matter whether you or anyone else thinks it's a solid business plan or not.

This post should just be copied in SO many topics...

fred,

pfan

What you want is most likely an impossibility as the software won't allow ANY CSR at ANY level do to this. Feb '09 is the date when all the computers will go haywire, probably knocking out all authorization commands for any new boxes just installed because of the new software allowing current subs the HD only package:). At least that is what happened the last time there was a MAJOR billing software change allowing for complex HD upgrades. They couldn't Authorize boxes for over 24 hours! Dish actually called ME back almost 48 hours later to authorize a replacement 721 that the system couldn't because of the complex HD upgrades added to the billing software that had a bug in it. In fact, billing software is most often the one thing that determines when deals happen. This has been cited often by Charlie--even on deals that are offered to EVERYONE. Billing software has even DELAYED planned changes in deals and upgrades.

Remember you must have only mpeg 4 equpment on your account or you cannot do HD only.
This was the reason the CSR gave me. I think that's a valid argument. The order system probably automagically triggers an equipment upgrade if you sign up for a Turbo HD package and you don't have compatible receivers or dish.

I emailed ceo@echostar.com and explained I had MPEG-4 equipment and was currently receiving all HD channels of interest. They granted me an "exception" and made the change. YMMV.

I emailed ceo@echostar.com and explained I had MPEG-4 equipment and was currently receiving all HD channels of interest. They granted me an "exception" and made the change. YMMV.[/quote]

Sent the same email so I'll see what happens. Businesses need to understand how important happy customers are to them. I know people that will talk poorly about a business due to poor CS to everyone they know.

pfan

I emailed ceo@echostar.com and explained I had MPEG-4 equipment and was currently receiving all HD channels of interest. They granted me an "exception" and made the change. YMMV.

Sent the same email so I'll see what happens. Businesses need to understand how important happy customers are to them. I know people that will talk poorly about a business due to poor CS to everyone they know.

pfan[/QUOTE]

Some poor CSR should be getting their employment "excepted" for that one real quick here.

Dish Network have NEVER given deals to existing customers. They don't give a shite. My ex has had Dish since it was first around, practically, and when he wanted to go HD, etc., after YEARS of loyal service and even purchasing his own equipment (it was the only option he once had), they wouldn't even toss in a DVR wiht a service upgrade. Nothing. They don't care much for customers once they are signed on...I assume they only count new members.

I recently worked at a non-profit with 620,000 members. Only about 5% of them were actively participating or donating, but instead of investing in the folks we had to get them on board, the effort was all about new members. Dish has the exact same rules...once you are in you can rot in hell, as long as you pay the bill.

Warm fuzzies, eh?

Last edited:
Not exactly true, Modwild. Maybe existing customers can't get the SAME deals, but there are deals available.

Over the years I've been with Dish, I have gotten the following that they didn't have to give me, just because I'm a "good customer" whatever that means.
- waive of $10/month "PVR" fee for DishPlayer 7200s
- $10 discount for a year for subbing to HD package (subbed before the discount was available, but they still gave it to me when I complained)
- I've had several receivers replaced out of the initial 1-year warranty, never charged shipping. I don't have DHPP either
- free superdish upgrade when subbing to locals, plus I kept all the old equipment including a dish500 and SW64, plus they upgraded me for free to a DPP44 switch when it was discovered that I also had a 61.5 dish for sky angel
- I've not participated in Dish'n it UP but those deals are available and reasonable cost or free in some cases

Plus the posts a few above yours where existing customers have been able to be "excepted" to subscribe to the HD-only packs.

called DISH today and spoke with a supervisor trying to switch to the TurboHD Gold package, but was not successful. The soup was from india of course and explained I was lose some channels, to which I responded, "that's ok. I'm a loyal customer that wants to switch to this package" She said she could not. I then explained how other current customers have switched, but she couldn't see how this was possible. Apparently people that have switched before feb 1 have spoken with soups whom better know the systems so they can help us out.

Any suggestions????

pfan

Doesn't matter whether you or anyone else thinks it's a solid business plan or not.

True. Doesn't mean we can't still complain and vent and hope someday we'll have a truly competitive marketplace so that the theory of the 'free market' might actually help a bit.

I, for one, will help with starting a new satellite TV provider, though. What'd that cost? A few billion? I'll pass the hat...here's my $10. Who else is in!?

I'll pitch in $5, we are OFFICIALLY in recession now. I only think it is fair for existing customers to partipate in new offers if they are willing to renew their contracts. Cell phone companies are notorious for this, if you sign a new 2 yr agreement they'll do anything for you.

I think I will play CSR roulette, but eventually won't my "Notes" field fill up???

pfan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)