Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteSearcher

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Oregon
Hi everyone:

Ok, I can not lock on to the DTV 110 satellite. Here is what I am working with. 18-20" DTV dish p/n DX54, triple feed mult. lnb., auto switching, a tv4rv tripod, a First Strike signal meter. My Long. is 123 W., my Lat. is 44N. My dish is set to 37 degrees elevation, 103 degree tilt, 143-145 azimuth. I do not need HD, I just want to get the 101, 110, 119 sat. The tripod is dead center on the bubble, my sat. info is entered correctly into my First Strike meter, I get nothing. If I hook up my VuQube single lnb I get max. locked on signal. Its not like I have tried this only 1 time, I have put in 12-14 hours trying to figure this out. Sooooo, I need someones expertise. It will be very much appreciated.

Thank You,
SatelliteSearcher

SatelliteSearcher,
I checked your other posts and it looks like you are new at this like I am. First and foremost you want to get lined up on sat 101 (not 110). It is unclear from your post whether or not you have that signal locked in yet. If you do not have that dish locked in, you may want to recheck your settings. One satellite pointer site shows - Elevation: 33.0°, 144.9° Azimuth (true), ,128.9° Azimuth (mag.) for your location and another shows 34.7 elevation and 133.8 magnetic. This sat will get you most of the information and your guide.

If you do have sat 101 locked in and are having problems, you may be having a problem with the dish you bought. In another post you mentioned that you did not buy a slimline dish like your dish at your home. That is why I copied my home installation for my mobile use.

Anyway, you need to provide some information on how your 101 looks to know where to go from there.
Bob

Hi Bob:

I have not tried the 101 yet, my local installer said to tune into 110 first and I called him back and told him that is not working, he stated he would come out and aim my dish for $100.00. HMMMMMMMM???? I will go out right now and see if I can lock onto the 101, then post back to you. Thanks for the reply.

Take Care,
SatelliteSearcher
John

Hi everyone:

Ok, I can not lock on to the DTV 110 satellite. Here is what I am working with. 18-20" DTV dish p/n DX54, triple feed mult. lnb., auto switching, a tv4rv tripod, a First Strike signal meter. My Long. is 123 W., my Lat. is 44N. My dish is set to 37 degrees elevation, 103 degree tilt, 143-145 azimuth. I do not need HD, I just want to get the 101, 110, 119 sat. The tripod is dead center on the bubble, my sat. info is entered correctly into my First Strike meter, I get nothing. If I hook up my VuQube single lnb I get max. locked on signal. Its not like I have tried this only 1 time, I have put in 12-14 hours trying to figure this out. Sooooo, I need someones expertise. It will be very much appreciated.

Thank You,
SatelliteSearcher

You do want to site on 110, since that is the center of your tilt. Your alignment numbers look right, except I don't know about the correct skew. Don't rely on the bubble to plumb the mast, use a level. It is much more accurate. Are you getting anything at 110 with the triple lnb? If so, I suspect your skew is off, or like I suggested, maybe the mast isn't quite plumb. Don't give up!

Right! The OP has the Phase III multisat dish used for 101, 110, and 119. This dish aims at 110. Make sure you have the elevation set correctly with that dish. Don't use the center of the bolt head on the scale, use the edge of the washer (I believe is has a flat side).

Hi Chip:

Thanks for the reply, I went out to try and lock on the 101, however, it is starting to pour down rain here and looks like its going to pour all day, so maybe I can try tomorrow. I have been relying on the bubble. I will use a level next time. The tilt is supposed to be 103. I appreciate the info.

John

Hi jdspencer:

I will aim at the 110 and check the elevation however it will have to wait until tomorrow as we are having torrid rain right now. Thanks for the info. I will try tomorrow and post back.

Thanks,
John

Some installers set tilt then lock on the 110 1st then make adjustments upon lock.
I like to lock the 101 1st cause I've found that's it's easier.
It can be done either way. Try them both to see which you lock 1st.

If your adjustments (tilt, az, elevation) are based on the rcvr or a website, try tweaking with it 1 or 2 degrees both ways.

Like JD said, use the edge of the washer , not the bolt head.
The difference is huge, so maybe thats your issue.

Good luck, keep us updated when the weather passes !

Ok, Thanks to all who responded, after the last couple days of torrid rain I was back out Satellite Searching and with the info you folks gave me I was able to obtain a strong signal on the 110 sat. It was definitely a learning experience and I appreciate the guidance.

Next question: I am running the dtv 18"x20" oval, mult-switch, 3 lnb, unit. This unit gets the 101,110,119 sats. I understand this unit will not receive HD programming. Can I buy the lnb that will get HD channels and install it on this dish, or do I have to purchase a completely different dish and lnb setup??

Thank You,
John

Ok, Thanks to all who responded, after the last couple days of torrid rain I was back out Satellite Searching and with the info you folks gave me I was able to obtain a strong signal on the 110 sat. It was definitely a learning experience and I appreciate the guidance.

Next question: I am running the dtv 18"x20" oval, mult-switch, 3 lnb, unit. This unit gets the 101,110,119 sats. I understand this unit will not receive HD programming. Can I buy the lnb that will get HD channels and install it on this dish, or do I have to purchase a completely different dish and lnb setup??

Thank You,
John

Some have had success using the type of dish you have with the newer lnb, but it isn't easy. You are probably better off getting a Slimline dish and newer hd lnb.
There are a couple of variations on the lnb depending on your locality and setup.

Ok everyone:

Thanks for all of the replies and info. I am up and running and I learned something the hard way. I was having terrible trouble not getting any signal out of my First Strike meter. After checking things, rechecking things, scratching and pulling some hair out, I found out I had the numbers set right all along. The problem was the 3' piece of cable from the sat. dish to my meter, the cable had a break in it somwhere. I did a continuity test on the cable and found out it was bad, the cable was new however, it had a break in it. Tested another cable that was good, and, viola, signal, fine tuned it and life is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Scott:

Do you know where I can buy the dish and HD lnb stuff? Model # etc? If I have the model # etc., I can google as to where to purchase.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts