What andabout a bucket, cement a post?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
What about a bucket, cement and a post?

Has anybody used one of those large buckets. Hmmm, can't think of the size, you know the big white buckets. Put cement in one and then a fence post? I want something to put another dish on but just temp. I just don't want it to fall over when a small wind hits it.

AKA KU band dish. Maybe up to size of 1.2m primestar would be cool. LOL. But I don't know.

Thanks,

Josh

first hand experience

I have a 5 gallon bucket like that.
Paint, grout, floor glue, dry wall mud, soap at the car-wash, and other thing come in 'em.

Got maybe 60 lbs of cement, and a 5' fence post in it.
For the little dishes up to 20", they're great.
I put my 36" dish on it for some experiments and it seemed fine at first.
But, on a windy day, it blew over.

Use your own good judgement. :rolleyes:
A 1.2 m Primestar? Get serious. :cool:

i have a bucket mount let me look one of the guys here did a FAQ on it mine is in a larger bucket not the white 4 or 5 gallon type this one is from Dollar General about $6 ( its closer to being called a tub and is about 10 gallons or maybe 1 bushel) it held 50 lbs of sand or gravel and two 50 lbs concrete for a total of 150#

The shape is a poor use of the mass. Taller than its wide. You'd be better off using something low and wide like a plastic tub for a mold. I made a base for a miniature lighthouse. I used some lawn edging to make a circle, layed that on top of a sheet of poly, and poured concrete into it. Round, heavy and low.

Plant it

Works real well if you plant the bucket in a hole in the ground.

I've got a Primestar 84e on one and it's pretty solid planted just below the surface. I had it setting on top of the ground for a while and it was ok, but a strong wind probably would've knocked it over.

I dug a hole the same size as the bucket, sunk it in, and packed dirt around it, making sure the pole was plumb. Got it aimed at AMC3 and it's awesome.

I used a 5 gallon bucket, a 3 ft fence post and some quickcrete I had leftover. Didn't have enough to fill the bucket all the way, probably only about 12 inches deep.

Planted the bucket so the top of the concrete was just below the ground level and cut off the protruding top rim with a utility knife. Covered the concrete with landscape fabric and rock.

If you just wanted it on top of the ground, it would be best to use a wide / low tub for more tip resistance.

I like the bucket idea because you can move it around to test your los.

Attachments

• bucket1.jpg
    bucket1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 497
  • bucket2.jpg
    bucket2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 445
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts